And Now For a Bad Lane Change

Old August 8th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

Default And Now For a Bad Lane Change

In article >,
Scott en Aztl?n > wrote:

> The other day I posted video of a proper lane change. Here's an
> example of a bad one:
>
> http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=23ww6sk
>
> Keep an eye on the silver Durango in the lane to my right. He wants to
> turn left at the next block, but like many drivers he failed to plan
> ahead and was four lanes to the right of the lane he wanted to be in.
> So of course he panics and starts changing lanes, nearly clobbering a
> motorcyclist in the process (and, of course, slowing down in my lane,
> forcing me and everyone behind me to slow down needlessly also.

He doesn't "nearly clobber" anyone.

He makes a perfectly normal change into your lane and then slows
slightly to align with a space in the lane to your left *behind* the
motorcycle. He then accelerates into that lane and then moves into the
left hand of the two turn lanes only because it is convenient.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old August 8th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Alan Baker wrote:

> He makes a perfectly normal change into your lane and then slows
> slightly

He slowed down quite a bit more than just "slightly."

> to align with a space in the lane to your left *behind* the
> motorcycle.

He could have just let up on the accelerator and switched lanes behind.
It looks like he slowed down by at least 10 mph.
Old August 8th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >,
Arif Khokar > wrote:

> Alan Baker wrote:
>
> > He makes a perfectly normal change into your lane and then slows
> > slightly

> He slowed down quite a bit more than just "slightly."

Watch the cadence of the lane markers passing the camera car. It barely
changes.

> > to align with a space in the lane to your left *behind* the
> > motorcycle.

> He could have just let up on the accelerator and switched lanes behind.
> It looks like he slowed down by at least 10 mph.

Switched lanes behind whom? Wouldn't that have given the person in the
other lane just as much reason to complain.

No one is guaranteed a drive without the need to change speeds to adjust
to traffic.

The Silverado driver placed no one at risk -- never came close to the
hyperbolic "clobbering" of the motorcycle that the OP claimed -- and
didn't inconvenience anyone more than 5 seconds worth either.

Normal city driving.

Old August 8th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >,
Scott en Aztl?n > wrote:

> Alan Baker > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >In article >,
> > Scott en Aztl?n > wrote:
> >
> >> The other day I posted video of a proper lane change. Here's an
> >> example of a bad one:
> >>
> >> http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=23ww6sk
> >>
> >> Keep an eye on the silver Durango in the lane to my right. He wants to
> >> turn left at the next block, but like many drivers he failed to plan
> >> ahead and was four lanes to the right of the lane he wanted to be in.
> >> So of course he panics and starts changing lanes, nearly clobbering a
> >> motorcyclist in the process (and, of course, slowing down in my lane,
> >> forcing me and everyone behind me to slow down needlessly also.

> >He doesn't "nearly clobber" anyone.
> >
> >He makes a perfectly normal change into your lane and then slows
> >slightly to align with a space in the lane to your left *behind* the
> >motorcycle.

> Interesting how you missed his little "wiggle" - he fully intended to
> cross all 4 lanes in one motion, but when he realized the motorcyclist
> wasn't a JLEDI he swerved back into his lane, slowed down, and waited
> for it to pass.

For him to have "swerved back into his lane" he would have to have left
it first.

He didn't.

Old August 8th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article >,
Scott en Aztl?n > wrote:

> Alan Baker > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >> He could have just let up on the accelerator and switched lanes behind.
> >> It looks like he slowed down by at least 10 mph.

> >Switched lanes behind whom? Wouldn't that have given the person in the
> >other lane just as much reason to complain.
> >
> >No one is guaranteed a drive without the need to change speeds to adjust
> >to traffic.
> >
> >The Silverado driver

> It was not a Silverado - it was a Durango with silver paint.
>
> Your lack of attention to detail is shocking - no wonder you missed
> the Durango driver's "wiggle" as he aborted his lane change that would
> have clobbered the motorcyclist.

You call it an aborted change and so what if it is? He aborted it and
with time to spare.

The motorcyclist didn't so much as blink so *he/she* clearly didn't feel
very threatened.

> >and didn't inconvenience anyone more than 5 seconds worth either.

> It wasn't necessary to inconvenience anyone at all.

<yawn>

> >Normal city driving.

> Normal IBJAM thinking - I can inconvenice everyone else to suit MY OWN
> convenience as long as the duration of the inconvenience is "short
> enough" (and, of course, *I* get to define what "short enough" is).

<yawn>

Cry me a river and claim you've never done similar.

Then start posting *all* your cameras coverage.

Old August 9th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Scott en Aztlán wrote: <brevity snip>
> Alan Baker > said in rec.autos.driving:

> >He doesn't "nearly clobber" anyone.
> >
> >He makes a perfectly normal change into your lane and then slows
> >slightly to align with a space in the lane to your left *behind* the
> >motorcycle.

> Interesting how you missed his little "wiggle" - he fully intended to
> cross all 4 lanes in one motion,

Spurious conclusion. You have not this slightest clue of another
driver's intent.

> but when he realized the motorcyclist
> wasn't a JLEDI he swerved back into his lane, slowed down, and waited
> for it to pass.

As I mentioned before, that very slight "wiggle" may be attributable to
a reluctance to change lanes in an intersection... or, it may be a
reaction to mere oversteering an unfamiliar vehicle... or, maybe the MC
was in the driver's blind spot... or maybe the driver was drunk, you
don't know.
-----

- gpsman