"Volkswagen Eos a topless delight"

Old October 9th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike

Default "Volkswagen Eos a topless delight"

Volkswagen Eos a topless delight
The Volkswagen Eos is a revolutionary retractable hardtop with a unique
five-part roof structure that includes a sunroof as a bonus feature and
there's even a spring-loaded wind deflector mounted in the windshield
header.
at http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend...5700-4277r.htm

Old October 9th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bill Kearney[_1_]

Then again I've seen reviews that call it bland, top heavy and underpowered.

That fancy roof, the weight of it, ends up having quite a negative effect on
what you really need the car to do, be driveable.

Seems like the took the otherwise great Cabrio, mixed in the Audi's
otherwise bland convertible and the Mercedes SLK top and made an overpriced
car that doesn't handle well.

Old October 10th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Rico[_1_]

In article > , "Bill Kearney" > wrote:
>Then again I've seen reviews that call it bland, top heavy and underpowered.

I've had several people tell me the same thing regarding underpowered. If
the 6 was in the car they say it would be better, but the turbo for the
wieght just isn't enough.

>That fancy roof, the weight of it, ends up having quite a negative effect on
>what you really need the car to do, be driveable.

I think this may be less important then you think for many people who would
consider this car.

>Seems like the took the otherwise great Cabrio, mixed in the Audi's
>otherwise bland convertible and the Mercedes SLK top and made an overpriced
>car that doesn't handle well.

Improve the power plant and I think the car is a hit. I personally like the
look, I like the retractable top, those little Chevy trucks from a year or
so ago just looked fun with the top retracted. Solve the power and there is
a class of buyers who will give this car a serious look see.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
Old October 10th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

Bill Kearney wrote:
> Then again I've seen reviews that call it bland, top heavy and underpowered.
>
> That fancy roof, the weight of it, ends up having quite a negative effect on
> what you really need the car to do, be driveable.

It's a boulevard-tourer convertible. What it needs to do is look nice,
and draw attention to its owner, while it cruises down the street past
all the clothing and handbag stores. If you're looking for a VW to
drive, you don't get an Eos, you get a GTI or GLI.

--
Mike Smith
Old October 10th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bill Kearney[_1_]

> I think this may be less important then you think for many people who

would
> consider this car.

THAN I think, perhaps. But then again the last thing we need are people
driving something top-heavy around. It's bad enough with Moms in
Expeditions.

> Improve the power plant and I think the car is a hit. I personally like

the
> look, I like the retractable top, those little Chevy trucks from a year or
> so ago just looked fun with the top retracted. Solve the power and there

is
> a class of buyers who will give this car a serious look see.

You could be right. It'll be difficult, however, to solve the high weight
problems of that top.

Old October 11th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

Bill Kearney wrote:
>> I think this may be less important then you think for many people who

> would
>> consider this car.

> THAN I think, perhaps. But then again the last thing we need are people
> driving something top-heavy around. It's bad enough with Moms in
> Expeditions.

Oh come on, you're being silly. An Expedition's center of gravity is
*much* higher an more dangerous than an Eos will ever be. You're really
blowing this out of proportion.

--
Mike Smith
Old October 12th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bill Kearney[_1_]

> Oh come on, you're being silly. An Expedition's center of gravity is
> *much* higher an more dangerous than an Eos will ever be. You're really
> blowing this out of proportion.

Eh, think what you like. I drove one today, and didn't like it. I did
notice the ride as being weighted somewhat higher than I'd like. Others may
not notice and never care.