European Cars Least Reliable

Old November 9th 04, 08:34 PM
Richard Schulman

Default European Cars Least Reliable

RATING THE CARS
European brands fared particularly poorly in the sedan segment

A Bad Report Card For European Cars: BMW, VW, Mercedes Fare
Poorly in Influential Listing, But Japanese Models Shine

By NEAL E. BOUDETTE
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
WSJ, November 9, 2004; Page D1

Once ranked among the auto industry's best in quality, European cars
are becoming known for something else: unreliable performance.

Top 5 "most reliable"

• Lexus IS 300
• Acura RL*
• Toyota Camry 4-cylinder
• Toyota Avalon
• Lexus LS 430

Top 5 "least reliable"

• BMW 5 Series
• VW Passat all-wheel drive
• Pontiac Grand Prix super-charged
• Saab 9-3
• Volvo S60

Source: Consumer Reports

In Consumer Reports' preview of 2005 cars, released yesterday, not a
single European vehicle made it onto the magazine's influential "most
reliable" list. Instead, the list of least-reliable vehicles reads
like a roll call of what traditionally had been the industry's most
prestigious and pricey names: the BMW 5 Series and 7 Series, the
Mercedes S Class and E Class, the Jaguar X-Type and S-Type. The Saab
9-3 and the Volkswagen Jetta, Golf and New Beetle also rate far below
average for reliability. Of the 38 cars rated least reliable, 20 were
from European makers.

In contrast, Japanese makes dominated the reliability ratings.
Twenty-nine of the 32 cars rated most reliable were Japanese. Vehicles
made by Toyota fared particularly well, including the Avalon, the
Camry, the Highlander and the RAV4. American brands were in the
middle, faring slightly better than the Europeans. Eleven American
cars -- including the Hummer H2, Chevrolet Astro van, Lincoln
Navigator sport-utility vehicle and Chrysler Sebring convertible --
were among the least reliable. Two made the grade as most reliable:
the Buick Regal, which has been discontinued for 2005, and the Pontiac
Grand Prix. Both are made by General Motors Corp.

Long known for high quality, European brands have slumped badly in the
past several years. In Consumer Reports' 2004 survey, Detroit car and
truck brands ranked ahead of European brands on average -- for the
first time in 25 years. Other quality studies, such as the J.D. Power
& Associates customer-satisfaction surveys, have shown a similar slide
by the European brands.

"The Europeans tend to engineer very complicated cars with lot of
electronics that lead to problems," said David Champion, senior
director for auto testing at Consumer Union, the publisher of Consumer
Reports.

The BMW 7 Series, for example, has more than 120 electric motors,
including 38 just for adjusting its seats, and dozens of
microprocessors to control everything from the humidity inside the car
to the angle at which the wipers rest on the windshield. "The Japanese
in general tend to try to simplify as much as possible," Mr. Champion
said.

Mr. Champion said the nagging quality problems European car makers are
suffering will have an impact on their sales over time. Through
October, U.S. sales of Mercedes-Benz cars have fallen 1.6%, while
Volkswagen AG has seen U.S. sales for its VW brand slump 15%.
[The 2004 Saab 9-3 and the 2004 BMW 5 Series scored poorly on
reliability.]
The 2004 Saab 9-3 (right) and the 2004 BMW 5 Series (below) scored
poorly on reliability.

BMW's overall U.S. sales are up 8%, thanks to the arrival of a new
SUV, the X3. But U.S. sales of the 5 Series are down 5%; 7 Series
sales have dropped 19%. In contrast, sales at Lexus, which is owned by
Toyota Motor Corp., are up 12%.

For Mercedes-Benz, quality problems are taking a bite out of the
bottom line, too. In the third quarter, DaimlerChrysler AG said
additional spending to take care of Mercedes quality glitches was part
of the cause for a 62% drop in its Mercedes division's operating
profit.

The cars included on the "least reliable" list are not eligible for
inclusion in Consumer Report's list of recommended vehicles.
[2004 Volvo S60]
2004 Volvo S60

BMW AG's poor rating doesn't come as a surprise to Gerard Rabadeau, a
58-year-old financial adviser in Westfield, N.J. He bought a 2004 5
Series sedan earlier this year, and the trouble started the day he
picked up the car. He ordered a 5 Series primarily because it was
supposed to have "Bluetooth" wireless technology that would
automatically connect his cellphone to the car's communications
system. That would allow him to jump in the car and talk hands-free
with clients while driving.

But when he picked up the vehicle, the salesman explained the
Bluetooth technology wasn't working yet, and he didn't know if BMW
would ever get it to work. Within a week or so, the "key in ignition"
warning started going off -- even after he left the car with the key
in his pocket. Later, the security alarm started blaring whenever he
used his key-fob remote to pop the trunk.

He has taken the car back to the dealership several times, but the
problems continue to occur, and he is resigned to only opening the
trunk manually. "I haven't had problems with the traditional engine,
the transmission, but the electronics are a real pain," Mr. Rabadeau
said. "It's frustrating. It's a $60,000 car."

The survey is based on responses from Consumer Reports' approximately
five million magazine and online subscribers. It compiled data on
810,000 vehicles and covered the 1997 to 2004 model years. CR averages
the overall reliability scores for the most recent three years. For
vehicles that have been significantly redesigned, the rankings used
only data on the most recent version. That's the case with the BMW 5
Series, which was redesigned last year.

Richard Schulman (for email reply, remove the "-xyz" part)
Old November 10th 04, 12:04 AM
Tom Levigne

The least reliable cars are African made!

Old November 10th 04, 08:53 PM
Mr J

Someone should run reliability tests on "product review & rating"
agencies. Consumer Reports, even though very popular, would most
probably be among the "Top 5 least reliable" rating agencies.

Old November 11th 04, 10:41 AM

Unfortunately Consumers Reports may be right on this one. I have owned
only Japanese cars, except for my first car which was a 68 Cougar,
before buying my my 2000 Beetle and I never had the trouble I have had
with the Beetle. I had a 84 Civic, 86 Subaru Brat, 91 Eclipse, 93 Civic,
97 Impreza and I didn't have one problem with anyone of them. The only
time I visited the dealer service center was for oil change and
scheduled maintance. Since I bought my Beetle, It has been in and out of
service numerous times. VW had to get me a rental car 4 times because
they had to hold my beetle over to fix it. The check engine light is
constantly coming on. I am not the only one. My dad bought a 96 A4 and
it was constantly in the shop and he bought a 99 A6 and it needed a
whole new transmission right after he bought it. Our neighbors bought a
2001 A6 2.7t and have had nothing but trouble with it. My cousin bought
a 2002 Jetta and it was declared a lemon after over 27 days in the shop
and vw bought it back. But the reason I put up with it is I love the way
my Beetle drives. I love the car but vw needs to solve these problems.
PS, I also never had any problem with my 9yr old 68 Cougar except for a
couple of broken hoses.

American cars Dave Antique cars 6 February 13th 05 05:27 PM
NTSB Wants Black Boxes in Passenger Vehicles MoPar Man Chrysler 62 January 14th 05 03:44 PM
The most reliable cars of 2005. Honda must be dozing off?? Leroy Mowry Honda 6 December 10th 04 03:24 AM
Dream Cars, The Best Cars in the World Rare Old Things Antique cars 0 February 14th 04 05:38 AM