Life expectancy of timing belt idler and wheel bearings on '89 Cressida?

Old June 14th 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Doc

Default Life expectancy of timing belt idler and wheel bearings on '89 Cressida?

I've got the engine at the machine shop and am wondering about the
timing belt idler/tensioner pulley. How long would you expect the
factory pulley to last? The car has 130k on it. They want over $100
for another, and it appears to be a dealer only item. No other place
I've found carries it.

Also, what about the wheel bearings?

Old June 14th 07, 02:45 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:15:52 -0700, Doc wrote:

> I've got the engine at the machine shop and am wondering about the timing
> belt idler/tensioner pulley. How long would you expect the factory pulley
> to last? The car has 130k on it. They want over $100 for another, and it
> appears to be a dealer only item. No other place I've found carries it.
>
> Also, what about the wheel bearings?

As far as the pulley, you've gone this far, what's another $100?! Esp
since the engine is out and it's easy to get to! (we had to remove the
radiator from my Supra to get to it and the timing belt...it'sll be
cheaper in the long run now...)

OTOH, I have only replaced one idler pulley on all the Toyotas I have
owned.

Bearings are easy. Remove the wheel and rotor, pull the bearing and
replace. Except the rear, you have to pull the axles to replace the inner
bearings. Spin the tires with your hands on them, and if you "feel"
'crunching', replace the bearings. Otherwise, wait till the next brake job.

Old June 14th 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Doc wrote:
> I've got the engine at the machine shop and am wondering about the
> timing belt idler/tensioner pulley. How long would you expect the
> factory pulley to last? The car has 130k on it. They want over $100
> for another, and it appears to be a dealer only item. No other place
> I've found carries it.
>
> Also, what about the wheel bearings?

The problem with most bearings is that they are good UNTIL they fail. In
this case I would add up what it takes to get to that pulley IF it fails
with the engine in the vehicle. If it is a pain to do then do it now. On
the wheel bearings are there signs/symptoms of them being bad? If you
rotate them and they feel smooth and have no play and the seals are OK
then don't bother. If however you turn them and it feels like your
grinding metal then replace them.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York