2000 Saturn Won't Go!

Old June 12th 04, 11:00 PM
katastrophe

Default 2000 Saturn Won't Go!

my acceleration went out on me this morning while i was on the freeway.
When I went to step on the gas pedal, nothing happened. I let it sit for
about 15 minutes, while it was running, and then I tried it again and it
went for about 50 yards, and wouldn't go any more... It started to die
when I tried it again. Then I waited another 15 minutes and it ran about
another 50 yards and the acceleration went out again. I got it to the
nearest gas station and left it there. Can someone tell me what the
problem could be? And how to fix it? I looked for a manual and they don't
make one. thank you thank you

Old June 12th 04, 11:29 PM
Jonnie Santos

Which model Saturn?

Anything unusual or odd been going on prior to this issue?

Any lamps on the dash on to indicate the car thinks there's a problem too?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 13th 04, 12:35 AM
katastrophe

I thought it seemed to be running a little different yesterday. The only
light that came on was the check engine light when it would die.

Old June 13th 04, 12:36 AM
katastrophe

I ususally keep plenty of gas in it, but I've only had the car for about 6
months. Other people I've talked to today said the same thing you did,
fuel pump - is it a difficult job to do yourself? Do you know about how
much it'll cost at a shop?

Old June 13th 04, 12:41 AM
Jonnie Santos

If you've got a friend with an OBD2 scanner or some parts stores will let
you use theirs, you can pull out the complaint from the car's computer.

I don't know which model Saturn you have (S or L series), however in my
97SL2 the fuel pump is inside the tank and is a job I'm too much of moron to
perform.

Old June 13th 04, 01:31 AM
richard hornsby

Jonnie Santos wrote:
> If you've got a friend with an OBD2 scanner or some parts stores will let
> you use theirs, you can pull out the complaint from the car's computer.
>
> I don't know which model Saturn you have (S or L series), however in my
> 97SL2 the fuel pump is inside the tank and is a job I'm too much of moron to
> perform.

I agree that it sounds like the fuel pump, however could the fuel filter
just be that clogged? It would certainly be far easier to change than
the pump, but only worth it if there is a chance it is the problem.

-rj
98SL2
Old June 16th 04, 03:52 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article
outautos.com>,
"katastrophe" > wrote:
> Other people I've talked to today said the same thing you did,
> fuel pump - is it a difficult job to do yourself?

It's not *impossible*, but, realize, you're working with your gas tank.
You really don't wanna screw that up, or *boom*.

I'd go for the obovious, first, though. Read the trouble codes, then
have the pressure at the rail checked. It might be a filter, and that's
easy to replace. Of course, it could be the regulator, too, and that's
cheap too.

Rule out the cheap stuff first. AFAIK, Saturns aren't prone to blowing
up their fuel pumps.

(Don't discount the relay for it, too).

Easy way to test if the pump is at least working sometimes is to get in
the car in a quiet area, turn the key on, and listen for a little whine
and click noise. Turn the key off, then turn it on a few seconds later.
If the pump at least works, you'll hear that noise. i don't recall if
the FP relay is the same as any others, but if it is, swap it with
another and see if the problem moved with the relay (i.e., the pump's
fine but the system you stole the relay from is busted now)

You said it was running while you waited. I'm trying to think of a
failure mode where a pump gives you low pressure, but enough to idle.
Unlike a carb, EFI needs the pressure more or less all the time.

Years ago, my dad's Vega had it's filter clog. It'd run ok at low
speeds, but have no power and not be able to climb hills. Went around
in circles for a while while we searched for that...
Old June 16th 04, 05:15 AM
Kirk Kohnen

Um, Saturns are known for failing fuel pumps(among other things).

I've replaced two of them (one on each of my 97 SL2s) - it isn't a hard job,
but it is messy.

A real pain if you don't have a lift - getting the back end of the car high
enough is a real challenge!