Woodchuck...99 Passat 1.8T Timing Belt...sorta

Old December 22nd 04, 05:17 AM
Boris Badinoff

Default Woodchuck...99 Passat 1.8T Timing Belt...sorta

Had the 60k mile check and timing belt changed last week...car sat in
the garage from Wednesday night (when I picked it up at the Dealer)
until today.

Stopped for gas tonight and noticed that the Right Front turn signal
lens is *missing*

No collision damage...no broken pieces...nada...just a gaping orifice
with an amber bulb flopping around in the slipstream.

Did the mechanic have to pull the front end off the Passat (99 1.8T
Wagon) to change the timing belt? Is there a common scenario where the
lens does not get properly seated when being replaced (assuming front
end removal).

I am not amused. Curious...but not amused.
Old December 22nd 04, 01:13 PM
Woodchuck

Yes the front bumper and turn signal lens must come out to do the TB. So the
mystery question is: did the tech not get the spring connected well or did
the spring that holds the lens in break once it was connected? I'm sure your
dealer should work out sometime to keep both sides happy, such as maybe a
50/50 spilt of the cost of the lens... or maybe they would pick it up 100%?
If it was myself running the service department I would fix it for free. A
small price to pay to keep a long time customer.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:13 PM
Woodchuck

Old December 23rd 04, 06:25 AM
Boris Badinoff

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police,
"Woodchuck" confessed the following:

>Yes the front bumper and turn signal lens must come out to do the TB....
>If it was myself running the service department I would fix it for free. A
>small price to pay to keep a long time customer.

Dealer is going to replace the signal lens at no cost to me. Service
Writer explained that the Tech has 20+ yrs with VWs and the Tech
thinks he might not have seated the retaining clip completely. Getting
it fixed in the AM...

I'm very pleased with my VW dealer's attitude and pro-active solution.
Old December 23rd 04, 06:25 AM
Boris Badinoff

Old December 23rd 04, 01:08 PM
Woodchuck