2000 Passat V6 2.8L timing belt and water pump

Old August 25th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tim Taylor

Default 2000 Passat V6 2.8L timing belt and water pump

The water pump just went out on my Passat at about 80K miles. So I've dived
in and am replacing it. Also replacing the timing belt, tensioner, and
relay roller while I'm in there. Also serpentine drive belt and all coolant
hoses. Is there anything else I should be replacing while I'm at it?

Tim

Old August 26th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:50:46 -0400, "Tim Taylor" > wrote:

>The water pump just went out on my Passat at about 80K miles. So I've dived
>in and am replacing it. Also replacing the timing belt, tensioner, and
>relay roller while I'm in there. Also serpentine drive belt and all coolant
>hoses. Is there anything else I should be replacing while I'm at it?
>
>Tim

it may seem extreme but both top and bottom radiator hoses , the two
heater hoses , that small hose from the expansion jug back to the radiator
( new clamps for each )
depends on what you're willing to spend compared to how long you
expect to keep it - and expect failure free miles.
isn't the thermostat right there too? i stove top boil these these before
installation.....prolly just the kid in me
and flush repeat , flush repeat , flush
extreme would be replacing block seals,, really close at that stage

Old August 26th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:06:11 GMT, wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:50:46 -0400, "Tim Taylor" > wrote:
>
>>The water pump just went out on my Passat at about 80K miles. So I've dived
>>in and am replacing it. Also replacing the timing belt, tensioner, and
>>relay roller while I'm in there. Also serpentine drive belt and all coolant
>>hoses. Is there anything else I should be replacing while I'm at it?
>>
>>Tim
>>

>it may seem extreme but both top and bottom radiator hoses , the two
>heater hoses , that small hose from the expansion jug back to the radiator
>( new clamps for each )
>depends on what you're willing to spend compared to how long you
>expect to keep it - and expect failure free miles.
>isn't the thermostat right there too? i stove top boil these these before
>installation.....prolly just the kid in me
>and flush repeat , flush repeat , flush
>extreme would be replacing block seals,, really close at that stage

oh sure , now i see ' all coolant hoses'
but that little one from the expansion jug back to the rad.
is often overlooked..
and that was ' stove top
boil * TEST* these " cheers again !! it was hot today

Old August 26th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_2_]

you got the parts thing covered. But be careful about camshaft alignment...
best done with the factory tool.

Old August 26th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tim Taylor

Yeah, I've ordered the tool, at a cost of $135 incl shipping for a piece of
strap steel with some pins in it, and a threaded plug--UGH!

Thanks,
Tim

Old August 26th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tim Taylor

Okay, I'll check that hose.

And you think the thermostat too, huh? Sounds like a good idea since it
takes about 2-3 hrs just to get the radiator in a position that you can get
your hand down in there (the "service position" as my manual calls it).

Thanks,

Tim

Old August 26th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

A tool that might save you $2000 if damage occurs to your engine.
If you feel you will not need it again then you can always sell it! ;-)
Tools are investments/assets! AND you have saved a lot of labor charges
too! <g>
JMHO

Good luck with your maintenance.

--
later,
dave

Old August 27th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

You ordered tools from Metalnerd? http://www.metalnerd.com/cat15.htm
That is usually my first stop when I am looking for specialty tools if
my prefered on line parts house does not have the Metalnerd tools
listed. $222 for a timing belt tool kit. $45 for a brake tool,
hundreds of dollars at RossTech. I would share if I had friends that
owned similar year VWs.

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:49:40 -0400, "Tim Taylor"

Old August 27th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tim Taylor

Got 'em from ZDMAK. Ever heard of them?

Tim

news

Old August 27th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

They carry some good tools and some obscure tools. Metalnerd is my
first stop as they make good tools that do not have the german price
tag.

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:37:06 -0400, "Tim Taylor"