Passat timing belt / water pump

Old January 28th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
KenM

Default Passat timing belt / water pump

VW dealer recommends that I get the timing belt replaced on my 2000 Passat
4Motion with 104K miles. Says it could go any time, although they can't
inspect it without spending 3 hours taking the car appart. They want to
charge me $1300. Should I get it done? Could I get it done cheaper
elsewhere?

Also, what's the history of the water pump on these cars? Should I have it
replaced since they've done all the pre-work taking the car apart to get at
the timing belt?

Thanks.

Ken

Old January 29th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

trust your dealer, the belt replacement is 105,000 and the water pump is
only 20minutes additional work since you're there. My guess they are
replacing the:

timing belt
water pump
2 tension rollers
coolant

cheaper, YES... done correctly, maybe-maybe not? it depends if they skip and
reuse old parts such as the rollers.

Call another dealer in your area. And if the belt breaks it could cost you
2500-3000 $$$

. ..

Old January 29th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jan 28, 6:45 pm, "KenM" > wrote:
> VW dealer recommends that I get the timing belt replaced on my 2000 Passat
> 4Motion with 104K miles.

Hmmmm.... your timing belt is about 20,000 - 30,000 miles past-due, so
take the suggestion quite seriously. This is also the perfect
illustrative case of "While we are in there.... " such that any
ancillary parts such as tensioners, rollers and (if timing belt-
driven) the water-pump should also get replaced. And the thermostat,
flushing the coolant... you get the picture.

$1300.... you must be in New York City or LA or some such. Around
these parts, (southeastern PA) all that runs about $800 +200/-$100
from the dealer, about half that in parts depending on what else is
going on. Independent mechanics are a bit less, but not much if they
are competent and actually do everything needed. This is also a job
that the home-mechanic should NOT attempt unless well tooled-up,
expert, and unpressured by time.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old January 29th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Iain Miller

"KenM" > wrote in message
. ..
> VW dealer recommends that I get the timing belt replaced on my 2000 Passat
> 4Motion with 104K miles. Says it could go any time, although they can't
> inspect it without spending 3 hours taking the car appart. They want to
> charge me $1300. Should I get it done? Could I get it done cheaper
> elsewhere?
>
> Also, what's the history of the water pump on these cars? Should I have
> it replaced since they've done all the pre-work taking the car apart to
> get at the timing belt?

VW advise on TBelts is now 60k or 4 years - whichever comes first. As others
have said WP, Tstat etc are all on a "while you are in there" basis. Cheap
insurance if you intend to keep the car.

Old January 29th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ken M

Actually I AM in Southeastern PA, not NYC or LA. Garnet VW in Chadds
Ford. I called back and found that they actually are including the
water pump in the quote, so it's not as unreasonable as I thought.

The independent mechanic I've been taking my VWs and Audis to for 20
years now has given up on these cars. He says there's too many
special tools and too many complicated procedures to make it worth his
while, given the amount of VW business he gets. He mainly works on
Porches and Mercedes. Any recommendations for mechanics in the
western suburbs of Philly would be appreciated.

Ken
West Chester, PA

Old January 29th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jan 29, 12:09 pm, "Ken M" > wrote:
> Any recommendations for mechanics in the
> western suburbs of Philly would be appreciated.

Sorry, I do not know any mechanics in your area. Around here, we use
Hillside Auto Repair in Jenkintown, or Elkins Park Auto Repair in EP.
We have been favoring Hillside lately as they are within easy walking
distance and are a bit faster than Elkins Park. But both are quite
competent and reasonable.

Neither is of much help to you, though.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old January 29th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many daves

Well if Lost In Space is too far away.......research some repair shops here
http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_all.php
http://1.8t.org/dealers/
cartalk.com
and contact some of the vag-com owners to see if they can recommend a good
mechanic/technician for you in your area
http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl

Main thing is getting it done soon and having it done right!
JMHO
--
later,
dave

oups.com...

Old January 31st 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
KenM

Thanks guys for your advice on the timing belt, water pump, etc.

In the mean time, the dealer is having trouble getting the emission codes
fixed, so it can pass state emissions inspection. A few months ago I
brought it in to get the engine light codes fixed, well ahead of inspection.
They said my computer needed a software upgrade for $500 (I guess I'm
running VW Vista now!), and the engine coolant sensor needed to be replaced
for a few more hundred bucks. Of course the engine light came back on the
next day. I decided to wait until the state inspection was due, figuring
they could fix it for another day to get it to pass. This time they said it
needed a couple of O2 sensors for $500 each. Then they called back later
and said it needed a combi sensor for another $500. Then they called back
today and said it needed the other combi replaced. What will they say
tomorrow? How many $500 repairs are left on this car?

Ken

. ..

Old January 31st 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jan 30, 8:50 pm, "KenM" > wrote:

> In the mean time, the dealer is having trouble getting the emission codes
> fixed, so it can pass state emissions inspection. >>SNIP<<

At 104,000 miles??!!?? That ain't nohow right! Or is it that you drive
it only five miles at a time at speeds less than 20 miles an hour
burning half-regular, half kerosene?

With all due respect, you need to find an honest mechanic. They see
you coming from MILES away at what they are charging you.

Bluntly with modern diagnostics being what they are, the first time
you paid them to fix the emissions, they "own" that fix at that cost
pretty much for the next 10 - 20K miles. I would have been on the
phone to the Zone Manager the nanosecond they asked for another
repair. Your VW is NOT a Ford, no matter what the mechanics in that
shop might think.

BTW, the VW shop on 309 just above Montgomeryville has a reasonable
reputation and have been very helpful to me, even when there was
nothing in it for them. "Computer upgrade" my sweet patootie!!
Holberts in Warrington is also pretty good, and got us some well-past-
warranty repairs from the factory based on "this should not have
failed". Damn... and you didn't smell a rat? Several rats?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old January 31st 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

They said my computer needed a software upgrade for $500

There was a update campaign from VW and we were doing them for FREE.
Even if you had to pay the flash/upgrade talks just over an hour.

FIND ANOTHER DEALER

coolant sensor needed to be replaced for a few more hundred bucks.

$25 for the sensor and about 1 hour to replace! What's the labor rate???

FIND ANOTHER DEALER

"