Airbag light cancelation?

Old April 5th 05, 03:55 AM
Myrone Bagalay

Default Airbag light cancelation?

Is there a way to cancel out the airbag light? I have a 1991 miata the car
was previously in a frontend colision prior to my ownership. I am looking
to restore the car to its glory. However the airbag light stays on due to
an aftermarket momo steering wheel that was installed "junk". If anyone
knows of any tricks or shorting out ways to make this light stay off please
say.

--
Enorym
http://atomicinternet.homeip.net/xtra/myrone/

Old April 5th 05, 04:19 AM
XS11E

Myrone Bagalay wrote in:

> Is there a way to cancel out the airbag light? I have a 1991
> miata the car was previously in a frontend colision prior to my
> ownership. I am looking to restore the car to its glory. However
> the airbag light stays on due to an aftermarket momo steering
> wheel that was installed "junk". If anyone knows of any tricks or
> shorting out ways to make this light stay off please say.

Did you pull the fuse?
Old April 6th 05, 02:54 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

I hate to admitt it but untill I rectify the situation (flashing 10 times)
I've covered the darn thing with a pc of black electrical tape. Not proud of
it, just being honest, couldn't stand the flashing any more.

Chris
92 BB&T

Old April 6th 05, 04:28 AM
XS11E

Chris D'Agnolo wrote in:

> I hate to admitt it but untill I rectify the situation (flashing
> 10 times) I've covered the darn thing with a pc of black
> electrical tape. Not proud of it, just being honest, couldn't
> stand the flashing any more.

Black tape works great!

Now see if pulling the fuse will get rid of the light.

Old April 7th 05, 12:07 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Myrone Bagalay" > wrote:

>Is there a way to cancel out the airbag light? I have a 1991 miata the car
>was previously in a frontend colision prior to my ownership. I am looking
>to restore the car to its glory. However the airbag light stays on due to
>an aftermarket momo steering wheel that was installed "junk". If anyone
>knows of any tricks or shorting out ways to make this light stay off please
>say.

One page you might look at is
http://www.miata.net/garage/pass_airbag_rem.html

If you decide to take off the instrument cluster, I recommend
dropping the steering wheel a bit. (There are two big bolts
hidden behind the panel and wires below the steering wheel
column.) For the rest, I believe the procedure is somewhere
in the garage section on miata.net. Be careful with the
printed circuit board behind the instrument cluster.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old April 7th 05, 02:32 AM
Myrone Bagalay

I got it! just take off the bezel like this guy says 2 screws holding it on
then take out the cluster find the one that happens to be the air bag light
unplug it then take out the bulb and plug the fixture back in! ITS NOW
PERMENANTLY OFF! Ive also found the two air bag blue boxes made by ford
under the dash which ive removed. Anyone need an airbag box? $50 for all
of them that ive found.

Old April 7th 05, 04:53 AM
Dana H. Myers

Myrone Bagalay wrote:
> I got it! just take off the bezel like this guy says 2 screws holding it on
> then take out the cluster find the one that happens to be the air bag light
> unplug it then take out the bulb and plug the fixture back in! ITS NOW
> PERMENANTLY OFF! Ive also found the two air bag blue boxes made by ford
> under the dash which ive removed. Anyone need an airbag box? $50 for all
> of them that ive found.

Why don't you save them, and give them to the hapless victim
that buys your car used?

Dana
Old April 7th 05, 11:50 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

>Myrone Bagalay wrote:
>> I got it! just take off the bezel like this guy says 2 screws holding it on
>> then take out the cluster find the one that happens to be the air bag light
>> unplug it then take out the bulb and plug the fixture back in! ITS NOW
>> PERMENANTLY OFF! Ive also found the two air bag blue boxes made by ford
>> under the dash which ive removed. Anyone need an airbag box? $50 for all
>> of them that ive found.

>Why don't you save them, and give them to the hapless victim
>that buys your car used?

A hapless victim unable to see that there is no airbag in the
steering wheel?

While it would be great for safety, is anyone really going to put
a new airbag and steering wheel on a 15 year old Miata?

Old April 7th 05, 04:31 PM
Dana H. Myers

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote:
>

>>Myrone Bagalay wrote:
>>
>>>I got it! just take off the bezel like this guy says 2 screws holding it on
>>>then take out the cluster find the one that happens to be the air bag light
>>>unplug it then take out the bulb and plug the fixture back in! ITS NOW
>>>PERMENANTLY OFF! Ive also found the two air bag blue boxes made by ford
>>>under the dash which ive removed. Anyone need an airbag box? $50 for all
>>>of them that ive found.

>>Why don't you save them, and give them to the hapless victim
>>that buys your car used?

> A hapless victim unable to see that there is no airbag in the
> steering wheel?

Yes.

> While it would be great for safety, is anyone really going to put
> a new airbag and steering wheel on a 15 year old Miata?

Probably not, but a person buying a car ought to *know* if the
airbag and airbag problem have been intentionally disabled.

Dana
Old April 7th 05, 11:55 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

>Leon van Dommelen wrote:

>>>Why don't you save them, and give them to the hapless victim
>>>that buys your car used?

>> A hapless victim unable to see that there is no airbag in the
>> steering wheel?

>Yes.
>
>> While it would be great for safety, is anyone really going to put
>> a new airbag and steering wheel on a 15 year old Miata?

>Probably not, but a person buying a car ought to *know* if the
>airbag and airbag problem have been intentionally disabled.

Don't agree. Someone
1) unable to see at a glance that a Momo steering wheel has
no airbag, or
2) unable to figure out that an airbag not in a car does not
offer protection
should not buy a car at all. Or if they do, experience the full
impact of Darwinian selection for the increased safety of the
rest of us.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

[04 Accord] Side Airbag light flickers [email protected] Honda 3 December 29th 04 03:42 PM
Airbag Indicator Light R. Rikoski Mazda 3 December 14th 04 06:56 PM
Airbag warning light. Alfa71 Alfa Romeo 7 October 26th 04 08:13 PM
Airbag light problem Gabe Saturn 5 October 2nd 04 03:22 PM
Chevy Venture airbag light - problem solved Katy General 0 February 21st 04 12:29 AM