gasoline

Old January 3rd 10, 02:23 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

Default gasoline

Just wondering ... I recall in the older cars they used to say to use
87 octane but once in a while use 91 octance on occasion. Is this
still valid or is going with a lifetime of 87 octane no different say
in 2003 or newer Hondas (say Toyotas too) ?
Old January 3rd 10, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/03/2010 06:23 AM, Guy wrote:
> Just wondering ... I recall in the older cars they used to say to use
> 87 octane but once in a while use 91 octance on occasion. Is this
> still valid or is going with a lifetime of 87 octane no different say
> in 2003 or newer Hondas (say Toyotas too) ?

so you still haven't bothered to read your $25,000 owner's manual...
why am i not surprised? [rhetorical]

Old January 3rd 10, 03:05 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 07:00:29 -0800, jim beam > wrote:

>On 01/03/2010 06:23 AM, Guy wrote:
>> Just wondering ... I recall in the older cars they used to say to use
>> 87 octane but once in a while use 91 octance on occasion. Is this
>> still valid or is going with a lifetime of 87 octane no different say
>> in 2003 or newer Hondas (say Toyotas too) ?

>so you still haven't bothered to read your $25,000 owner's manual...
>why am i not surprised? [rhetorical]

Are you still missing some bolts and nuts ? Your name and type person
together says you are.
Old January 3rd 10, 03:32 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

On 1/3/2010 11:05 AM, Guy wrote:

> Are you still missing some bolts and nuts ? Your name and type person
> together says you are.

Block the twit and get on with your uninterrupted life, quietly. :^)
Old January 3rd 10, 03:46 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/03/2010 07:32 AM, Brian Smith wrote:
> On 1/3/2010 11:05 AM, Guy wrote:
>>
>> Are you still missing some bolts and nuts ? Your name and type person
>> together says you are.

> Block the twit and get on with your uninterrupted life, quietly. :^)

quietly enough to stop asking dumb-ass questions hopefully.

Old January 3rd 10, 03:48 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 08:23:04 -0600, Guy > wrote:
>Just wondering ... I recall in the older cars they used to say to use
>87 octane but once in a while use 91 octance on occasion. Is this
>still valid or is going with a lifetime of 87 octane no different say
>in 2003 or newer Hondas (say Toyotas too) ?

It was never valid. Use octane to allow a greater compression ratio
and reduce pinging. It's not good for anything else.

Perhaps the idea was to use a higher quality gas, with improved
detergents, every now and then.
Old January 3rd 10, 04:05 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 09:48:48 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Guy" > wrote:
>
>> Just wondering ... I recall in the older cars they used to say to use
>> 87 octane but once in a while use 91 octance on occasion. Is this
>> still valid or is going with a lifetime of 87 octane no different say
>> in 2003 or newer Hondas (say Toyotas too) ?

>I think that was because in the older days, when the older cars were
>around, the fuel vendors put more cleaners into the higher octane fuels
>as a way to market the higher octane (higher priced) fuels.
>
>So "use 91 octane every now and then" was actually "use a fuel cleaner
>every now and then".
>
>About 15-20 years ago, the feds came out with minimum standards for
>cleaners in fuels--so that even the lowest octane fuels now have a
>decent set of cleaning additives.
>
>No need to use a higher octane fuel anymore.
>
>HOWEVER: that's not to say that all fuels are the same. Please notice
>this web site:
>
>http://www.toptiergas.com/
>
>http://www.toptiergas.com/why.html
>
>It's intended to be a standard that exceeds the federal standards.
>
>I can tell you from personal measurements that Shell gasoline is cheaper
>to run than anything else I have available around here. Sure it's a
>couple of pennies more expensive per gallon, but the benefits are clear
>to my by actual measurement of cost of gas per mile over a long period
>of time.

Appreciate the help. I know for my new CR-V, 87 is all that is
required. I read and asked when I purchased it but I still wondered
if the old rule in this new Honda could still apply. For a while I
did this for my 2003 when it was new and in the last year or so did
not and I can't tell any difference.... no knocks, pings or whatever.
Old January 3rd 10, 06:52 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"Guy" > wrote in news:mv91k51v19kairgbt7lmqp6p1jum3ahhm7@
4ax.com:

> Just wondering ... I recall in the older cars they used to say to use
> 87 octane but once in a while use 91 octance on occasion. Is this
> still valid

You're going back to the '70s on that, I'm sure.

> or is going with a lifetime of 87 octane no different say
> in 2003 or newer Hondas (say Toyotas too) ?

A lifetme of whatever the manual specifies is just fine. Modern gasolines
and fuel systems are far advanced fom the '70s.

There's no harm in most vehicles in using an octane higher than
recommended, so if it makes you feel better to use 91 on occasion, go
ahead.

I suppose there could be a few cars on the road where the use of any octane
higher than specified is forbidden, but that would be made VERY plain in
the Owner's Manual.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 3rd 10, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 07:00:29 -0800, jim beam > wrote:
>On 01/03/2010 06:23 AM, Guy wrote:
>> Just wondering ... I recall in the older cars they used to say to use
>> 87 octane but once in a while use 91 octance on occasion. Is this
>> still valid or is going with a lifetime of 87 octane no different say
>> in 2003 or newer Hondas (say Toyotas too) ?

>so you still haven't bothered to read your $25,000 owner's manual...
>why am i not surprised? [rhetorical]

You're such an asshole. Why would his owner's manual include 70's
folklore?
Old January 3rd 10, 08:11 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 18:52:36 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

>"Guy" > wrote in news:mv91k51v19kairgbt7lmqp6p1jum3ahhm7@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Just wondering ... I recall in the older cars they used to say to use
>> 87 octane but once in a while use 91 octance on occasion. Is this
>> still valid

>You're going back to the '70s on that, I'm sure.
>

>> or is going with a lifetime of 87 octane no different say
>> in 2003 or newer Hondas (say Toyotas too) ?

>A lifetme of whatever the manual specifies is just fine. Modern gasolines
>and fuel systems are far advanced fom the '70s.
>
>There's no harm in most vehicles in using an octane higher than
>recommended, so if it makes you feel better to use 91 on occasion, go
>ahead.
>
>I suppose there could be a few cars on the road where the use of any octane
>higher than specified is forbidden, but that would be made VERY plain in
>the Owner's Manual.

Thanks. I know for a fact 87 is the required octane. I had already
read that from honda.com on the CR-V prior to purchase. Some cars
like Infiniti require (suggest??) 91 and that can be a pain to
remember if you have other cars at the same time using 87. I guess
I'll just stick with 87.

Any opinion on gas additives? Honda.com says nothing about this so I
imagine the same answer here. I guess I have a hard time accepting
87 for life <grin>. Thanks Tegger.

gasoline drb[_2_] Corvette 12 October 19th 08 01:46 PM
Gasoline, not all the same Bailey B Technology 8 February 23rd 08 01:37 AM
E85 gasoline? Steve[_25_] Technology 49 December 27th 06 10:47 PM
Gasoline Exceso Audi 20 June 24th 05 12:40 AM