Replacing cylinder head on 2000 T&C 3.8

Old October 21st 05, 03:42 PM
Wally B

Default Replacing cylinder head on 2000 T&C 3.8

I have a cracked head to replace. I didn't see in the FSM or Alldata
anything about lubricating the new head bolts, but most engine rebuilder
sites offer three pieces of advice:

1. follow the manufacturers guidance regarding lubing the bolts
2. lightly lub (don't dip) the head bolts with 30w
3. lubing vs. dry makes a big difference (2-3x) in the resulting clamping
force

Yes, i can check the condition of the bolts as I extract them for signs they
were originally lubed, but do any of you that regularly do this type of work
know if the bolts should be dry or if the FSM is just omitting that the
bolts should be lubed?

Thanks for the help, Wally

Old October 21st 05, 08:00 PM
maxpower

"Wally B" > wrote in message
> I have a cracked head to replace. I didn't see in the FSM or Alldata
> anything about lubricating the new head bolts, but most engine rebuilder
> sites offer three pieces of advice:
>
> 1. follow the manufacturers guidance regarding lubing the bolts
> 2. lightly lub (don't dip) the head bolts with 30w
> 3. lubing vs. dry makes a big difference (2-3x) in the resulting clamping
> force
>
> Yes, i can check the condition of the bolts as I extract them for signs

they
> were originally lubed, but do any of you that regularly do this type of

work
> know if the bolts should be dry or if the FSM is just omitting that the
> bolts should be lubed?
>
> Thanks for the help, Wally

Yes you are supposed to lube the bolts to get the proper torque on them.
Those bolts are torqued using the torque to yield method, make sure they
have no stretch or necking before using them.
Hold a straight edge next to the threads and make sure all threads touch the
straight edge, if they don't.......replace them.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old October 21st 05, 09:56 PM
maxpower

Old October 22nd 05, 12:27 PM
jdoe

Do NOT reuse any bolts BTW use new ones.
Larry

Old October 24th 05, 12:10 AM
Matt Whiting

Wally B wrote:

> I have a cracked head to replace. I didn't see in the FSM or Alldata
> anything about lubricating the new head bolts, but most engine rebuilder
> sites offer three pieces of advice:
>
> 1. follow the manufacturers guidance regarding lubing the bolts
> 2. lightly lub (don't dip) the head bolts with 30w
> 3. lubing vs. dry makes a big difference (2-3x) in the resulting clamping
> force
>
> Yes, i can check the condition of the bolts as I extract them for signs they
> were originally lubed, but do any of you that regularly do this type of work
> know if the bolts should be dry or if the FSM is just omitting that the
> bolts should be lubed?
>
> Thanks for the help, Wally

Did you read the preable to the manual that has the general comments in
it? I don't know about your 2000 T&C manual in particular, but often
you will see a comment that says that all torque values are with lightly
lubricated fasteners unless otherwise stated. The main exceptions
typically are lug nuts and exhaust hardware.

Matt