Cost effective to convert 4cyl to 8cyl?

Old May 24th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
TC[_2_]

Default Cost effective to convert 4cyl to 8cyl?

Would it be worth the issues/costs of converting a 4 cyl to an 8 cyl or
just buying the 8 first?

89 Mustang LX.

Old May 24th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_2_]

TC wrote:
> Would it be worth the issues/costs of converting a 4 cyl to an 8 cyl or
> just buying the 8 first?
>
> 89 Mustang LX.

Too much to be worth it. Running gear, suspension, brakes, exhaust and
electrical, I probably missed a few things.
Like others have posted already, a unique, hot rodded 4 cyl. can be
pretty cool

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old May 24th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

Not unless you derive an inordinate amount of pleasure from the process of
first hunting down the parts, and then doing all the work, and there will be
lots of it....

Old May 25th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

TC wrote:

> Would it be worth the issues/costs of converting a 4 cyl to an 8 cyl or
> just buying the 8 first?
>
> 89 Mustang LX.

Depends on what your goal is. If you're looking for an
easy upgrade to a more fun street machine, then the
answer is a resounding "NO". Lots of work, lots of
expense. And you end up with essentially a stock
vehicle that has cost you twice it's book value.
Simply trading vehicles is generally cheaper, and it's
a whole lot easier.

OTOH, if you're building a drag strip or (better yet) a
road course warrier, then a 4cyl car is a good place to
start. You'll end up replacing most of the factory
parts anyway. Might as well start out with a less
expensive shell that you already own.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old May 25th 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
TC[_2_]

GILL wrote:

> TC wrote:
> > Would it be worth the issues/costs of converting a 4 cyl to an 8
> > cyl or just buying the 8 first?
> >
> > 89 Mustang LX.
> >

> Too much to be worth it. Running gear, suspension, brakes, exhaust
> and electrical, I probably missed a few things. Like others have
> posted already, a unique, hot rodded 4 cyl. can be pretty cool

I have read this before. Can the 2.3L be adequately hot-rodded? A good
balance of power and reliabilty?

Old May 25th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_2_]

TC wrote:
> GILL wrote:
>
>> TC wrote:
>>> Would it be worth the issues/costs of converting a 4 cyl to an 8
>>> cyl or just buying the 8 first?
>>>
>>> 89 Mustang LX.
>>>

>> Too much to be worth it. Running gear, suspension, brakes, exhaust
>> and electrical, I probably missed a few things. Like others have
>> posted already, a unique, hot rodded 4 cyl. can be pretty cool

> I have read this before. Can the 2.3L be adequately hot-rodded? A good
> balance of power and reliabilty?

I Googled this in like, two seconds.
http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=302
But, yeah, the SVO was a pretty quick little car. And they are still
around.

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old May 26th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"TC" > wrote in news:4656b9a8$0$4660
:

> GILL wrote:
>
>> TC wrote:
>> > Would it be worth the issues/costs of converting a 4 cyl to an 8
>> > cyl or just buying the 8 first?
>> >
>> > 89 Mustang LX.
>> >

>> Too much to be worth it. Running gear, suspension, brakes, exhaust
>> and electrical, I probably missed a few things. Like others have
>> posted already, a unique, hot rodded 4 cyl. can be pretty cool

> I have read this before. Can the 2.3L be adequately hot-rodded? A good
> balance of power and reliabilty?

One good answer - turbo.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
Old May 27th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
wabbitslayer

I don't know how much gas is where you live, but I'm wondering if it would
be worth the cost of converting a 8 cyl to a 4 cyl !!!

wabbitslayer
01 GT vert

Old May 27th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
harry

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
> "TC" > wrote in news:4656b9a8$0$4660
> :
>
>> GILL wrote:

>>> Too much to be worth it. Running gear, suspension, brakes, exhaust
>>> and electrical, I probably missed a few things. Like others have
>>> posted already, a unique, hot rodded 4 cyl. can be pretty cool

>> I have read this before. Can the 2.3L be adequately hot-rodded? A good
>> balance of power and reliabilty?
>>

> One good answer - turbo.

google "motion dynamics", they specialize in svo 2.3L turbo race cars

Old May 27th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

Maybe if you drive it for 30 years...

"wabbitslayer" > wrote in message
.. .
>I don't know how much gas is where you live, but I'm wondering if it would
>be worth the cost of converting a 8 cyl to a 4 cyl !!!
>
> wabbitslayer
> 01 GT vert

1999 New Beetle, Cost Effective Switchblade Keys with Remotes Randy VW water cooled 1 August 24th 06 05:34 PM
how effective is vehicle sound-proofing? Rob Campbell Technology 8 August 21st 06 06:58 AM
85 XJ 4cyl? Carl[_3_] Jeep 1 August 9th 06 12:35 AM
Most cost effective way to get my '70 baja "Porschewagen" back on road??? [email protected] VW air cooled 4 August 12th 05 01:25 PM
Left lane blocking illegal in Wyoming effective July 1 John F. Carr Driving 14 March 17th 05 09:30 PM