Cost of car ownership

Old October 19th 05, 12:09 PM
Rich

Default Cost of car ownership

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/29/Auto...ties/index.htm

Pretty high, for a basic sedan for a year.

This list shows the car ownership costs of selected cities from around
the country:

Detroit -- $11,844

Philadelphia -- $10,672

Los Angeles -- $10,361

Boston -- $9,660

Miami -- $9,216

Baltimore -- $9,125

Denver -- $8,949

Houston -- $8,467

Topeka, KS -- $8,078

Grand Forks, ND -- $7,423

Sioux Falls, SD -- $7,401

Knoxville, TN -- $7,399
Old October 19th 05, 08:26 PM
Spike

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:09:50 -0400, Rich > wrote:

>http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/29/Auto...ties/index.htm
>
>Pretty high, for a basic sedan for a year.
>
>This list shows the car ownership costs of selected cities from around
>the country:
>
>Detroit -- $11,844
>
>Philadelphia -- $10,672
>
>Los Angeles -- $10,361
>
>Boston -- $9,660
>
>Miami -- $9,216
>
>Baltimore -- $9,125
>
>Denver -- $8,949
>
>Houston -- $8,467
>
>Topeka, KS -- $8,078
>
>Grand Forks, ND -- $7,423
>
>Sioux Falls, SD -- $7,401
>
>Knoxville, TN -- $7,399

After I bought a new 91 GTA, I found an article by consumer reports
that said it cost an estimated $1.78 per mile to drive.... without
regard to geography.....
Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpg
Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpg
Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/E...ebuild_006.jpg
Old October 19th 05, 09:24 PM
Rich

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:26:39 -0700, Spike > wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:09:50 -0400, Rich > wrote:
>
>>http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/29/Auto...ties/index.htm
>>
>>Pretty high, for a basic sedan for a year.
>>
>>This list shows the car ownership costs of selected cities from around
>>the country:
>>
>>Detroit -- $11,844
>>
>>Philadelphia -- $10,672
>>
>>Los Angeles -- $10,361
>>
>>Boston -- $9,660
>>
>>Miami -- $9,216
>>
>>Baltimore -- $9,125
>>
>>Denver -- $8,949
>>
>>Houston -- $8,467
>>
>>Topeka, KS -- $8,078
>>
>>Grand Forks, ND -- $7,423
>>
>>Sioux Falls, SD -- $7,401
>>
>>Knoxville, TN -- $7,399

>After I bought a new 91 GTA, I found an article by consumer reports
>that said it cost an estimated $1.78 per mile to drive.... without
>regard to geography.....
>Spike

My Mach-1 costs about $1.35 per mile
figuring 12,000 miles per year.

A breakdown per mile:
Car cost: $0.67
Insurance: $0.35
Gas: $0.25
Incidentals$0.08
-Rich

Old October 19th 05, 11:08 PM
trainfan1

Rich wrote:

> http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/29/Auto...ties/index.htm
>
> Pretty high, for a basic sedan for a year.
>
> This list shows the car ownership costs of selected cities from around
> the country:
>
> Detroit -- $11,844
>
> Philadelphia -- $10,672

These figures make boat ownership attractive. My costs this year:

Fuel: ~$600.00
Synthetic Oil Change: $22.00
Insurance: $146.00
Winterization: $16.00

Rob
Old October 20th 05, 03:40 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Dang! Wish I lived where I could boat to work.....

"trainfan1" > wrote

Old October 20th 05, 03:58 AM
Jim Warman

Said it before, I'll say it again... the cheapest thing you'll ever do with
a car is buy it...

Operating costs are too dynamic and influenced by too many factors to get a
real feel for what an individual will experience. Either way, the automotive
"habit" will be just as expensive as any other habit most of us will have...

Old October 20th 05, 04:11 AM
Spike

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 02:58:09 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Said it before, I'll say it again... the cheapest thing you'll ever do with
>a car is buy it...
>
>Operating costs are too dynamic and influenced by too many factors to get a
>real feel for what an individual will experience. Either way, the automotive
>"habit" will be just as expensive as any other habit most of us will have...

Got that right... Know what a membership in an average golf club
costs????? Or how much it costs to get into fly fishing? And my
neighbor has a good 50-75 remote control aircraft hanging from the
ceiling of his garage. Ain't nothing cheap if it's something you like
to do.
Old October 20th 05, 04:14 AM
Spike

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 02:40:38 GMT, "Backyard Mechanic"
> wrote:

>Dang! Wish I lived where I could boat to work.....

I did when I lived in West Seattle and worked on the wharf (91), but I
didn't do it... because in 1070-71 gas was going for about 35 cents a
gallon for premium (actually lower due to the :gas wars")... and I got
glassware, savings stamps, silverware, and full service.... : 0 )
Puget Sound can get mighty cold in an open boat..... LOL

Old October 20th 05, 06:13 AM
Jim Warman

If my loving bride knew how much I really have tied up in work tools and
hobby tools... let's just say that the epicenter would be about 5 blocks
from the centre of Slave Lake....

A friend and have been in a long term (much longer than envisioned)
project..... a '69 RoadRunner (hey, it's old, it's hi-perf and I'm spending
someone elses coin). Project cost with current changes... $50G canajun.....

I'm building what started out as a 12X16 foot "mud room".... Now that it has
bloated to a 16X40 foot addition, I'm at the point where things wont
change.... period.

If it is something we want or something we like, we will rarely consider the
cost.... unless Rich spends another dateless evening reminding us of.....
reminding us of... stuff....

Sorry, Rich... that was a cheap shot..... and I could have backspaced
through it....

Old October 20th 05, 06:53 AM
Spike

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:13:02 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>If my loving bride knew how much I really have tied up in work tools and
>hobby tools... let's just say that the epicenter would be about 5 blocks
>from the centre of Slave Lake....

I'll watch for the flash.... LOL

>A friend and have been in a long term (much longer than envisioned)
>project..... a '69 RoadRunner (hey, it's old, it's hi-perf and I'm spending
>someone elses coin). Project cost with current changes... $50G canajun.....

Which is how much in real money or it's Monopoly equivalent... just
kidding.... LOL... Hey, I a Ford guy but, I've owned a Nova hatchback,
an MG Midget (really fun car), and a 91 Firebird GTA, Nothing wrong
with a Roadrunner, Duster, etc. They're still classics worth saving.

Speaking of which, anyone catch the shootout between the 'stang,
Javelin, Camaro, and Charger (I think... it's been more than 24
hours... : 0 ) Each had it's pluses and minuses, and, except for the
Javelin, they all came in pretty darn close to each other in overall
performance.

>I'm building what started out as a 12X16 foot "mud room".... Now that it has
>bloated to a 16X40 foot addition, I'm at the point where things wont
>change.... period.
>
>If it is something we want or something we like, we will rarely consider the
>cost.... unless Rich spends another dateless evening reminding us of.....
>reminding us of... stuff....

I don't know about you, but I always consider the cost... and then go
ahead and do it anyway.... : 0 )

Heyyyyy.... Rich never spends a dateless night.... 'cause ever night
has a date listed on the calendar.... : 0 )