key in ignition.....won`t turn.

Old August 27th 04, 05:26 AM
Mason121

Default key in ignition.....won`t turn.

Hello, Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition it just won`t turn. Two
weeks might go by with no problems and then it happens. I rotate the steering
wheel to
relieve the locking mechanism pressure but still nada. I can put the key in
and out like 50 times and it won`t turn and then on the 51st try it turns. I
have seveal keys to the ignition and when this problem happens it doesn`t
matter which key I try the results are the same. On a different note: I don`t
know if this makes any difference but when ever I turn the car off and leave
the key in the igniton I have to take the key out and put it back in for it to
turn.
Car is a `97 SC2/w 48k miles.
Thanks........Dan.
Old August 27th 04, 01:19 PM
Dana Rohleder

Sounds like you need a new lock. I assume the keys open the doors reliably?
You might try a little WD40 on the key (NOT into the lock) to see if that
helps, but I doubt it will. You could also try some dry spray lubricant on
the lock itself, but I would be aftraid that it might actually make things
worse.
--
Dana C. Rohleder
Port Kent, NY

"Look, if somebody has done some wrong in our military, we'll take care of
it. We got plenty of capability of dealing with justice."
G.W. Bush - Niceville, Fla., Aug. 10, 2004

Old August 27th 04, 09:50 PM
David Rancour

I had that same problem with my 2000 SL2.

Actually had the dealer replace it once, then it started happening again. So
this time instead of taking in to the dealer to get my $$$ stolen, I turned
the key - but with pliers! I figured if it was busted I wasn't going to do
anymore damage.

Well, it fixed the problem. I didn't appear to have broken anything and I
haven't had the problem come back. You might want to give this a try, but at
your own risk!

G/L!

Old August 29th 04, 02:07 PM
Jeremiah

Yep, sounds like the lock cylinder. Trust me on this one, get it replaced,
now, don't wait, if it is the lock cylinder, and it does lock up, you (or
the tech) will spend more time then is needed replacing the cylinder I
wouldn't do what David sais, turning the key with a pair of pliers, some
keys tend to break then your in alot of trouble.
i say this becuase you need to have the cylinder turned to the ACC posistion
to remove it. If the cylinder is locked up, you hvae two options, 1 beat it
out, 2 beat it out and replace the housing along with the cylinder.
If your not comfertable doing this, have the dealer do it, but it's not that
difficult of a job to do, if the cylinder turns when you need it to.
Good Luck

Jeremiah

Old August 30th 04, 02:00 AM
MSEagan

I had this problem with my '02 SL and it is still under warrenty. The
problem kept getting worse, so I finally took it in and they replaced the
lock cylinder and gave me new keys.

Old August 31st 04, 05:25 PM
micven55

Get new keys made at the dealer first before replacing the lock cylinder.
Typically keys are made from a softer metal than the hardend steel in the
lock cylinder and will wear first. You need to go to the dealer so the
keys can be made from the key code, otherwise you'd just be making a copy
of a worn key. This happened to both 2001 SL1's I have and took care of
the problem.

Old March 31st 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
traveltom46

Your troubleshooting comments regarding the use of the "wallet key"
certainly helped solve my ignition key problem. I tried the wallet key
three times and each time the key immediately turned and the engine fired
up. Thanks for the hints. I'm sure you have probably saved me several
hundred dollars now that I do not have to replace the locking meachnism.
traveltom46

driving accident question, green light turn Tim923 Driving 20 January 13th 05 07:31 PM
Ignition wont start car oeasm Honda 1 November 9th 04 03:33 AM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM