REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER

Old August 11th 05, 08:49 PM
REALRED20005

Default REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER

I AM WONDERING I HAVE GOTTEN DIFFERENT ANSWERS. THE FIRST ANSWER I GOT WAS
THAT YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE BEARINGS YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE HUB UNIT
BECAUSE THEY ARE SEALED.

THE 2ND IS YES YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS ALONE PLEASE WHICH IS
CORRECT?? MY EXPLORER IS A 1996 AWD NO ANTI-LOCK BREAKS, 8 CYL. THANKS

Old August 12th 05, 06:15 AM

I thinks yours is the hub/bearing type since it's a AWD.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 12th 05, 04:46 PM
pat gustafson

REALRED20005 wrote:
> I AM WONDERING I HAVE GOTTEN DIFFERENT ANSWERS. THE FIRST ANSWER I GOT WAS
> THAT YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE BEARINGS YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE HUB UNIT
> BECAUSE THEY ARE SEALED.
>
> THE 2ND IS YES YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS ALONE PLEASE WHICH IS
> CORRECT?? MY EXPLORER IS A 1996 AWD NO ANTI-LOCK BREAKS, 8 CYL. THANKS

I replaced the hub/bearings on my 2000 4wd sport, took about
8 hours total.
Cost aroung 100 bucks a piece, + 20 for the BIG socket for
the hub nut.
pat
Old August 13th 05, 01:00 AM

I don't know if the 2000 uses the same 95-99 hub/bearing design but the
official Ford price is $267. At fordpartsonline.com you can get it for about
$200. I hear there is a Timken replacement that goes for $176 but I couldn't
find one locally here in Dallas, TX.

The socket for the nut is a 32mm or a 1 1/4 inch. Cost me about 8 bucks at
pepboys.

I did mine this week and it took me ~2 hours per wheel (I did only one
side). You need to lift the truck and remove the wheel, brake caliper, rotor
and then the hub/bearing assembly. The rotor just sits on the hub but expect
to have to bang on it a bit to get it loose.