power windows, 4WD lites - need relay

Old August 13th 05, 07:31 AM
Walter Harley

Default power windows, 4WD lites - need relay

My '95 Limited is having problems where sometimes when I start it up, none
of the power windows will work, and the 4WD and 4WD LO lights blink
periodically.

I understand from some posts a few years back that for some people, this has
been fixed by replacing a relay, part number F0AZ14N089A.

Does anyone have a source for this relay? I just checked a couple of online
parts places, no luck. (I haven't tried contacting the dealer yet.)

Also, does anyone know anything more about this problem? (It just seems so
weird that there would be any relationship between these two phenomena, but
I've seen a lot of posts from people with the same problem...)

Thanks!

Old August 15th 05, 07:51 PM
Ted

Walt,

I had to replace mine in a 95 EB when I had the same problem. Relay
was only about $15 at dealer, so I didn't bother looking elsewhere.
It's located to the right of the steering column, under the dash (real
close to hood release). Looks like any other 1 x 1 x 1 black plastic
relay I've seen. Solved problem.

Ted

Old August 16th 05, 01:21 AM
Walter Harley

"Ted" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Walt,
>
> I had to replace mine in a 95 EB when I had the same problem. Relay
> was only about $15 at dealer, so I didn't bother looking elsewhere.
> It's located to the right of the steering column, under the dash (real
> close to hood release). Looks like any other 1 x 1 x 1 black plastic
> relay I've seen. Solved problem.

Okay, I found the relay panel. But there are about a half dozen relays
there, with no evident markings as to position or function.

Do you know how to tell which one it is?

Thanks!

Old August 17th 05, 07:00 AM
Walter Harley

"Walter Harley" > wrote in message
> Okay, I found the relay panel. But there are about a half dozen relays
> there, with no evident markings as to position or function.

Answering my own question, with some help from the folks at the local auto
electric shop.

The accessory delay relay on the 1995 Ford Explorer is on auxiliary relay
panel 4, which is right where Ted says:

> It's located to the right of the steering column, under the dash (real
> close to hood release). Looks like any other 1 x 1 x 1 black plastic
> relay I've seen.

The panel is about 3" x 5" and has a cover that pops off to expose the
relays.

Of the six or so relays on that panel, the others are all the same size as
each other but this one is a bit bigger. The others all have pin numbers
1 - 5 marked on them; this one has numbers like 86 and 87.

The replacement cost about $10 at the local Big Wheel Auto Parts. Seems to
have solved the problem, although since the problem is intermittent I won't
be sure for a while.