replacing 4wd speed sensors on a 98 (due to flashing 4wd lights)

Old August 17th 05, 03:10 PM
sehaare

Default replacing 4wd speed sensors on a 98 (due to flashing 4wd lights)

I've got a 98 v6 sohc and I've got the infamous flashing 4WD hi/
4WD low light problem. From doing a search I've found that it is
probably a faulty speed sensor (I thought that it might be) and that
they are located in the transfer case. Has anyone replaced them
theirselves? How hard was it? How much were they? Also I thought that
I'd try cleaning up the wiring connectors first, any guidance on where
they are located? And finally If you've had the ford dearler replace
yours how much did that cost.

Sorry about all the questions but I'm out on the road without my manual
and I'd like to get a leg up on this before I get back home to my
manual (and at least I did a search on the flashing light problem
before I asked that question )

As Always thanks in advance for any help
Steve

P.S. Boy it has been a long time since I posted here

Old August 17th 05, 04:49 PM
Walter Harley

"sehaare" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've got a 98 v6 sohc and I've got the infamous flashing 4WD hi/
> 4WD low light problem. From doing a search I've found that it is
> probably a faulty speed sensor

Another possibility seems to be the accessory delay relay. If that's the
culprit, then your power windows would also be failing intermittently.

I just replaced that relay on my '95 yesterday, and it's been working since
but that's only a couple of miles - too early to tell if it actually solved
the problem.

But the relay is cheap and easy to replace (see the thread "power windows,
4WD lites - need relay" in this group), so you might just want to give it a
try before messing with the sensor.

Conversely, if you do learn more about the axle speed sensor, post what you
learn here, especially if you replace it and it solves the problem!

> Sorry about all the questions but I'm out on the road without my manual
> and I'd like to get a leg up on this before I get back home to my
> manual (and at least I did a search on the flashing light problem
> before I asked that question )

Which manual do you have? (The Chilton piece-o-junk for the '95 doesn't
show wiring diagrams for any of the accessories or auxiliary features, nor
does it show relay panel locations. It's utterly useless for any electrical
problem I've yet encountered.)

Old August 17th 05, 09:46 PM
sehaare

Power windows appear to be working fine. The lights were flashing for
hundreds of miles today and the windows went up and down everytime I
tried. I either have the Chilton or Haynes manual I'm not sure which
but It is a waste of paper as well for electrical. Not like the Bentley
manuals that I'm used to for old VW's.

Anyone else with any input?

Steve

Old August 17th 05, 10:00 PM
ross via CarKB.com

You might think about alldatadiy. Its 24.85 for the first year, has wiriing
diagrams, manual troubleshooting checklists/guides, and stepby step
instructions for repairs, including torque specs and many parts prices. You
can save what want on your desktop . TSBs are listed as well..

Much better than the books in the auto parts store.

Old August 18th 05, 11:37 PM
Vic Klein

Problems around the speed sensors or with the sensors themselves are the
usual culprit for this problem. I think getting the work done at a dealer
runs around $125 including labor and parts, but that was at a rural dealer 5
years ago, so things may have changed. Some have reported success just
pulling the sensor and cleaning it. These are Hall-effect devices that read
the passage of a gear tooth (tone wheel) and send a pulse to the GEM
computer. If the transfer case has never had the fluid changed there may be
bits of metal and gunk on the teeth or sensor face that make it unable to
cleanly read. Also, look at the connectors themselves and clean them up. I
think the sensors are not very expensive, so if you get so far as removing
one maybe having a replacement to try wouldn't be a bad idea. If it doesn't
fix the situation, replace the next. There are 3 as I recall, 2 of which are
specifically for the 4WD system.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA
oups.com...

Old August 19th 05, 03:49 AM
sehaare

Vic

Thanks for the input. I have changed the transfer case fluid several
times so that should not be the culprit. Can you get access to the
sensors from out side of the case or does the case have to be removed
and split open? Anyone else know? I've been inside of manual
transmissions before I felt that I got lucky when it all went back
together correctly so I don't really want to pull the transfer case all
apart if I can help it. If it does require remove and splitting then I
think that I would just go with the $125 (probably $225 in Chicago)
Thanks
Steve

Old August 19th 05, 06:14 PM
sehaare

No one here has done this themselves yet? It must be pretty hard then?

Old August 20th 05, 02:48 PM
Vic Klein

I believe you can access the sensors without removing the T-case, although I
seem to recall there is one that needs something moved out of the way to
reach it. Best to get a manual and CD-versions of the shop manual are
available pretty cheap ($5?) on eBay.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

"sehaare" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Vic
>
> Thanks for the input. I have changed the transfer case fluid several
> times so that should not be the culprit. Can you get access to the
> sensors from out side of the case or does the case have to be removed
> and split open? Anyone else know? I've been inside of manual
> transmissions before I felt that I got lucky when it all went back
> together correctly so I don't really want to pull the transfer case all
> apart if I can help it. If it does require remove and splitting then I
> think that I would just go with the $125 (probably $225 in Chicago)
> Thanks
> Steve

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
IN senate backs bill to raise speed limit to 70 mph 223rem Driving 56 February 22nd 05 04:21 PM
R*volume*raduis2 c3po "Theroy of everything" zetasum Chrysler 0 February 18th 05 09:16 PM
speed kills believers exceed the speed limit Brent P Driving 1 February 15th 05 02:10 AM