Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

Old September 25th 17, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
June Bug

Default Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start the
car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.

Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I had to
ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an
unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.

What's with that?
She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.

Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal?
Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?
Old September 25th 17, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 25/09/2017 1:52 PM, June Bug wrote:
> These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
> http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg
>
> It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start the
> car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.
>
> Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I had to
> ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an
> unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.
>
> What's with that?
> She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.
>
> Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal?
> Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?

Must be an early model. I've had Corollas from the very early 2000s and
none of them locked the car after a specific (or non-specific) interval.
That's how they were designed AFAIAA.

I would suggest that, if the car in question is younger than, say, 2000,
then it has an issued that needs to be attended to.

Short of doing that, get a key cut to match the original using a plain
blank (no fob chip) and plant it in a magnetic keysafe somewhere easily
accessible from outside the car but not visible. The key can be used to
open the doors but it won't start the car because it hasn't got the
chip. It can give you the ability to access the interior of the car to
gain access to the keys locked in there. For that matter, you don't even
need a magnetic keysafe, you can just keep the fobless cut blank in your
wallet.

--

Xeno
Old September 25th 17, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 25/09/2017 2:41 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 25/09/2017 1:52 PM, June Bug wrote:
>> These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
>> http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg
>>
>> It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start
>> the
>> car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.
>>
>> Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I
>> had to
>> ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an
>> unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.
>>
>> What's with that?
>> She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.
>>
>> Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal?
>> Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?
>>

> Must be an early model. I've had Corollas from the very early 2000s and
> none of them locked the car after a specific (or non-specific) interval.
> That's how they were designed AFAIAA.
>
> I would suggest that, if the car in question is younger than, say, 2000,
> then it has an issued that needs to be attended to.
>
> Short of doing that, get a key cut to match the original using a plain
> blank (no fob chip) and plant it in a magnetic keysafe somewhere easily
> accessible from outside the car but not visible. The key can be used to
> open the doors but it won't start the car because it hasn't got the
> chip. It can give you the ability to access the interior of the car to
> gain access to the keys locked in there. For that matter, you don't even
> need a magnetic keysafe, you can just keep the fobless cut blank in your
> wallet.

One point I should add. The pear shaped *doohickies* look like
aftermarket immobiliser remotes. Not sure why they are there however as
on my first Toyota, the engine immobiliser that was factory fitted was
operated by the toyota branded remote. Current ones all operate on the
key fob itself.

Looks like it may have an aftermarket immobiliser in it. If so, that
could be removed. It might be the one giving trouble. From my
experience, the Toyota immobiliser gave no trouble.

--

Xeno