Tire Wear Question ?

Old October 1st 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Tire Wear Question ?

Hello,

Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.

Using Michelin all-season tires; do not change them
out over the summer.
About 40-50 K on them now.

I noticed the front two tires have "considerably" more wear on them than
the rear.

Is this normal ?

Make sense to interchange the front and rear tires ?
I imagine that with front wheel drive, the front tires are the ones that
should have the "better" thread on them.
True ?

If I do, keep the ones on the left, e.g., to remain on the left, or do
a X crossover ? Why ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old October 1st 17, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 10/01/2017 09:47 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>
> Using Michelin all-season tires; do not change them
> out over the summer.
> About 40-50 K on them now.
>
> I noticed the front two tires have "considerably" more wear on them than
> the rear.
>
> Is this normal ?

Yes. Same with brakes.

> Make sense to interchange the front and rear tires ?
> I imagine that with front wheel drive, the front tires are the ones that
> should have the "better" thread on them.
> True ?

Last times I've bought tires (in pairs, not fours) the stores insist the
new ones be put on the back to prevent skidding. Previous theory was
exactly the opposite for the same reason. I favor
good-ones-on-the-front because a front-wheel skid is far more serious
than a rear-wheel skid, but apparently I'm wrong -- I should have the
better tires on the rear to prevent a more-common (maybe) rear-wheel
skid due to the additional traction provided to the front by
weight-transfer on deceleration.

I let them do what they want, but I don't feel good about it :-(

I also wonder if the rear-wheel-drive rule of "brake going into a turn
and accelerate out of it" is still valid for front-wheel drive cars.

Expert opinions on both are welcome.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The fact that windows is one of the most popular ways to

Old October 1st 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 10/1/17 12:47 PM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>
> Using Michelin all-season tires; do not change them
> out over the summer.
> About 40-50 K onÂ* them now.
>
> I noticed the front two tires have "considerably" more wear on them
> than the rear.
>
> Is this normal ?
>
> Make sense to interchange the front and rear tires ?
> I imagine that with front wheel drive, the front tires are the ones that
> should have the "better" thread on them.
> True ?
>
> If I do, keep the ones on the left, e.g., to remain on the left, or do
> a X crossover ?Â* Why ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

If you have never had the tires rotated on a regular schedule, then,
yes, the fronts will wear faster than the rears, mainly from turning.
Evening out the wear is the whole point of rotation.

Read this TireRack article for details, and follow your owner's manual
instructions.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=43
Old October 1st 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>
> Using Michelin all-season tires; do not change them
> out over the summer.
> About 40-50 K on them now.
>
> I noticed the front two tires have "considerably" more wear on them than the rear.
>
> Is this normal ?

Yes. Front tires turn left and right and oppose vehicle direction, creating wear.
Fronts have more weight.

> Make sense to interchange the front and rear tires ?

I do mine every 6 months. F to R, same side.

> I imagine that with front wheel drive, the front tires are the ones that
> should have the "better" thread on them.
> True ?

Back ones need the better tread. It's fun to have the back slide around
and meet the front when wanted. It's the unwanted times that are not as much fun.

> If I do, keep the ones on the left, e.g., to remain on the left, or do
> a X crossover ? Why ?

I keep mine on the same side. However, according to mfg's it's ok to X over.
With road surfaces approaching 200F I figure the less tire stress the better.

Old October 2nd 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 2/10/2017 3:47 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>
> Using Michelin all-season tires; do not change them
> out over the summer.
> About 40-50 K onÂ* them now.
>
> I noticed the front two tires have "considerably" more wear on them than
> the rear.
>
> Is this normal ?

Yes. The fronts are doing double duty, drive and steer. The nearside
front usually weras more than the offside front, just to make things
interesting.

> Make sense to interchange the front and rear tires ?
> I imagine that with front wheel drive, the front tires are the ones that
> should have the "better" thread on them.
> True ?

False. Best tread to the rear. Helps control oversteer. Helps prevent
aquaplaning. The extra weight at the front helps displace water from the
front tyres, the rears need all the help they can get.

> If I do, keep the ones on the left, e.g., to remain on the left, or do
> a X crossover ?Â* Why ?

Depends on spare inclusion. Also depends on whether tyres are
symmetrical or asymmetrical.

--

Xeno

Tire wear and ABS EdwinZ Alfa Romeo 8 December 30th 07 05:12 PM
tire wear Snow Jeep 23 March 26th 06 10:44 PM
Tire wear 4.0L Ford Explorer 12 February 25th 06 12:12 AM
Tire Wear johnnya Mazda 5 December 23rd 04 05:17 PM
Rear Tire wear Question [email protected] Mazda 5 December 21st 04 05:52 AM