Fuel Pump Timer? Pump Location?

Old May 7th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Fuel Pump Timer? Pump Location?

In article >,
wrote:

> >How about an example of "quite a bit >less?"

> ====
> you surely aren't serious?

No less serious than you are.

> camshaft driven pumps use to cost 10-15 dollars when they were in vogue,
> probably don't make them anymore, electric pumps 40-50 dollars - tank
> pumps today run 150-200 bucks,

Let's see...
Camshaft driven pump, 4-6 psi and delivers fuel in pulses
Electric fuel pump, 30-65 PSI and delivers continuous steady
pressure. So, to steal a phrase from a slightly shortsighted
individual, "you surely aren't serious?"

> but you must take into consideration

You consider it in 2006, I was considering it 28+ years ago.

> that the - pumps and present day
> fuel systems act synergistically, new design, requiring a different
> configuration all together.

Yeah, EFI versus carburetors and all that mysterious stuff...
Old October 10th 17, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Old October 10th 17, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Wednesday, April 26, 2006 at 3:43:19 AM UTC-10, Nehmo wrote:
> I successfully changed the fuel pump on my 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L 126"
> wheelbase, flex-fuel truck [1]. But I have some unanswered questions,
> and they'll plague me the rest of my life if they remain so.
>
> Is there a fuel pump timer? How does it work, and where is it?
>
> If indeed, the pump is cooled by fuel going *through* the pump, what's
> the advantage of placing the pump *in* the tank?
>
> How come Ford has different pumps for different wheelbase trucks that
> are the same otherwise? How can the wheelbase, differing by a few
> inches, have anything to do with the pump?
>
> [1] The "flex-fuel", meaning can take either methanol+gasoline mix or
> straight gas, part is indicated by the 8th character of the VIN, V for
> flex-fuel, U for only straight gas. Apparently that detail is needed to
> get the correct pump.
> --
> (||) Nehmo (||)

It's simple enough to find out if the fuel pump is running with the engine off - you just listen for it. You can stick your ear against the body to hear this.

The fuel pump is probably located in the fuel tank so that it still operates even when there's vapor in the lines. It's probably faster and cheaper to install.

The main reason for different pumps is to supply different flow rates. The bigger the engine, the bigger a pump it will require.

Location of the fuel pump relay on an 86 bmw 325E [email protected] BMW 2 March 9th 06 09:21 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Infiniti Q45 oil pan removal procedure Miki Technology 25 December 30th 04 01:07 AM
76 Difficult Cold Starts daveo76 Corvette 22 September 9th 04 12:54 AM
96 Lesabre fuel pump relay location? Richardsons General 0 January 11th 04 07:08 PM