3M paint protection - protection from other cars in tight spots?

Old September 3rd 05, 09:34 AM

Default 3M paint protection - protection from other cars in tight spots?

I am considering 3M's clear paint protection material for my next new
car. I know it is designed for protecting paint from flying rocks at
speed. However, I would like to know from people who had it applied,
how effective is the film in protecting your front bumper from other
cars. (I also plan to get a custom piece made for my rear bumper). In
the city I live in, I rely mostly on tight street parking. My last car
became full of paint chips and scrapes on my bumpers quickly. Thanks

Old September 4th 05, 04:46 AM
Steve Larson

The 3M product is awesome, so is a similar product from Llumar. I suspect
it would protect your car adequately in the circumstance you described.
Since these products can be polished with regular car wax, I would suggest
that you keep the front and rear bumper pieces waxed. In the event that
another car nudges your bumper, the glossy finish should help it slide off
the film instead of grabbing it and tearing it. No way to really know until
the terrible event happens, but it's certainly better to apply the film and
give it a try than to not try it and never know.

oups.com...

Old September 5th 05, 02:27 PM
Somebody.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am considering 3M's clear paint protection material for my next new
> car. I know it is designed for protecting paint from flying rocks at
> speed. However, I would like to know from people who had it applied,
> how effective is the film in protecting your front bumper from other
> cars. (I also plan to get a custom piece made for my rear bumper). In
> the city I live in, I rely mostly on tight street parking. My last car
> became full of paint chips and scrapes on my bumpers quickly. Thanks

It doesn't improve the structural integrity of the peice, only reduces the
occurance of chips in the paint job. It might help marginally for a very,
very light scratch.

-Russ.

Old September 5th 05, 07:33 PM
J. Perry

"Somebody." > wrote in message
et.ca...

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I am considering 3M's clear paint protection material for my next new
> > car. I know it is designed for protecting paint from flying rocks at
> > speed. However, I would like to know from people who had it applied,
> > how effective is the film in protecting your front bumper from other
> > cars. (I also plan to get a custom piece made for my rear bumper). In
> > the city I live in, I rely mostly on tight street parking. My last car
> > became full of paint chips and scrapes on my bumpers quickly. Thanks

> It doesn't improve the structural integrity of the peice, only reduces the
> occurance of chips in the paint job. It might help marginally for a very,
> very light scratch.
>
> -Russ.

Does this type of material show burrs or tears in it? Just curious as to
whether or not it starts looky pretty ratty over time as it fends off paint
chips and niks from other types of flying debris.

Ron M.

Old September 6th 05, 01:28 PM
Steve Larson

I've had mine for a couple of years and there are no noticeable damage
marks. I frequent the local interstates and small rocks and debris are the
standard here. It may show tears if another vehicle strikes it, but keeping
it waxed and slick will help prevent it from those types of rips.

Old September 8th 05, 01:15 AM
automatic transgression

as far as the bumpers are concerned: yes, they will become ratty after
time. and the protection pieces are much cheaper to remove and replace
than the cost of repainting a bumper.

i worked at stongard in bellevue, wa (across the lake from seattle...) a
few years ago for a few years, doing design and installation work. we
(now they)use the 3m paint protection film. how good it looks on your
car is entirely dependent upon how the piece is designed, and though i
do not work there any longer, i am convinced that tim has the best
philosophy on designing the product.

the product is designed to protect from rock chips, but many people did
also want bumper protection in the rear. it will do nothing in a
collision, but yes, you will be protected from small parking bumps.
Steve Larson wrote:
> I've had mine for a couple of years and there are no noticeable damage
> marks. I frequent the local interstates and small rocks and debris are the
> standard here. It may show tears if another vehicle strikes it, but keeping
> it waxed and slick will help prevent it from those types of rips.
>

> "J. Perry" > wrote in message
>
>>"Somebody." > wrote in message
unet.ca...

egroups.com...

Old September 8th 05, 01:20 PM
Steve Larson

The rear bumper film also serves to protect the top of the bumper when
lifting items to and from the trunk if you have a low liftover. Ultimately
when you sell the car, you can either leave it on for the buyer or remove it
to expose a brand-new looking paint finish. Either way it's a win-win
product.

"automatic transgression" > wrote in
message ...
> as far as the bumpers are concerned: yes, they will become ratty after
> time. and the protection pieces are much cheaper to remove and replace
> than the cost of repainting a bumper.
>
> i worked at stongard in bellevue, wa (across the lake from seattle...) a
> few years ago for a few years, doing design and installation work. we (now
> they)use the 3m paint protection film. how good it looks on your car is
> entirely dependent upon how the piece is designed, and though i do not
> work there any longer, i am convinced that tim has the best philosophy on
> designing the product.
>
> the product is designed to protect from rock chips, but many people did
> also want bumper protection in the rear. it will do nothing in a
> collision, but yes, you will be protected from small parking bumps.
> Steve Larson wrote:
>> I've had mine for a couple of years and there are no noticeable damage
>> marks. I frequent the local interstates and small rocks and debris are
>> the standard here. It may show tears if another vehicle strikes it, but
>> keeping it waxed and slick will help prevent it from those types of rips.
>>

>> "J. Perry" > wrote in message
>>
>>>"Somebody." > wrote in message
!nnrp1. uunet.ca...

legroups.com...