catalytic converter

Old June 22nd 11, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
iconlarry

Default catalytic converter

I would like to thank all those astute people that responded to my
post regarding my catalytic (shown below). However, I would still like
to save this baby if possible. (Car won't pass inspection.) Nobody
suggested an additive; does that mean there is none?

Larry

Earlier Post-----

Due to a malfunction, cylinder 3 was not firing in my auto and dumping
raw fuel in the cylinder .
The problem was fixed, but now the check engine light is continuously
showing that the catalytic converter is defective. Does any one know
of an additive that might reverse this problem? Cats are expensive
(:= ]."
Old June 22nd 11, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"iconlarry" > wrote in message
>I would like to thank all those astute people that responded to my
> post regarding my catalytic (shown below). However, I would still like
> to save this baby if possible. (Car won't pass inspection.) Nobody
> suggested an additive; does that mean there is none?

I know of nothing I would recommend for this.

Old June 22nd 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"iconlarry" > wrote in message
>I would like to thank all those astute people that responded to my
> post regarding my catalytic (shown below). However, I would still like
> to save this baby if possible. (Car won't pass inspection.) Nobody
> suggested an additive; does that mean there is none?
>
> Larry
>
> Earlier Post-----
>
> Due to a malfunction, cylinder 3 was not firing in my auto and dumping
> raw fuel in the cylinder .
> The problem was fixed, but now the check engine light is continuously
> showing that the catalytic converter is defective. Does any one know
> of an additive that might reverse this problem? Cats are expensive
> (:= ]."

If you ran it for a long time with a misfiring cylinder it is likely you
cooked the catalytic converter to the point of destruction. Asking for a
chemical to repair this is about the same as asking for a chemical to poor
over a burned out house that will restore it to new. Not likely.

Does you car fail an actual tailpipe emissions test (the one where they
measue things like CO and unburned hydrocarbons) or does it fail becasue the
check engine light is on (the sort of test where they just read the OBD2
port)? If it is failing the test becaue of the check engine light, have you
actually had the codes checked? It is possible (but not likely) that you
cooked the after cat O2 sensor and that is why you are failing the OBD2
catalyst efficiency test. A good shop would know this and be able to
diagnose the problem correctly.

Ed

Old June 22nd 11, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/21/2011 09:11 PM, iconlarry wrote:
> I would like to thank all those astute people that responded to my
> post regarding my catalytic (shown below). However, I would still like
> to save this baby if possible. (Car won't pass inspection.) Nobody
> suggested an additive; does that mean there is none?
>
> Larry
>
> Earlier Post-----
>
> Due to a malfunction, cylinder 3 was not firing in my auto and dumping
> raw fuel in the cylinder .
> The problem was fixed, but now the check engine light is continuously
> showing that the catalytic converter is defective. Does any one know
> of an additive that might reverse this problem? Cats are expensive
> (:= ]."

did you check or replace the Oâ‚‚ sensors? if not, have you access to a
scope? you'll need one to check their reaction time to see if they're
healthy. [they may pass self-test, but still be causing problems.]

if you've done the sensors and they're good, but emissions are bad, the
cat is cooked - you can't unburn burnt toast.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old June 22nd 11, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
iconlarry

On Jun 22, 10:53Â*am, jim beam > wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 09:11 PM, iconlarry wrote:
>
> > I would like to thank all those astute people that responded to my
> > post regarding my catalytic (shown below). However, I would still like
> > to save this baby if possible. (Car won't pass inspection.) Â*Nobody
> > suggested an additive; does that mean there is none?

> > Larry

> > Earlier Post-----

> > Due to a malfunction, cylinder 3 was not firing in my auto and dumping
> > raw fuel in the cylinder .
> > The problem was fixed, but now the check engine light is continuously
> > showing that the catalytic converter is defective. Does any one know
> > of an additive that might reverse this problem? Cats are expensive
> > (:= Â*]."

> did you check or replace the Oâ‚‚ sensors? Â*if not, have you access to a
> scope? Â*you'll need one to check their reaction time to see if they're
> healthy. Â*[they may pass self-test, but still be causing problems.]
>
> if you've done the sensors and they're good, but emissions are bad, the
> cat is cooked - you can't unburn burnt toast.
>
> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum

The O2 is good (Unfortunately?)
Old June 22nd 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/22/2011 08:44 AM, iconlarry wrote:
> On Jun 22, 10:53 am, jim > wrote:
>> On 06/21/2011 09:11 PM, iconlarry wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to thank all those astute people that responded to my
>>> post regarding my catalytic (shown below). However, I would still like
>>> to save this baby if possible. (Car won't pass inspection.) Nobody
>>> suggested an additive; does that mean there is none?

>>> Larry

>>> Earlier Post-----

>>> Due to a malfunction, cylinder 3 was not firing in my auto and dumping
>>> raw fuel in the cylinder .
>>> The problem was fixed, but now the check engine light is continuously
>>> showing that the catalytic converter is defective. Does any one know
>>> of an additive that might reverse this problem? Cats are expensive
>>> (:= ]."

>> did you check or replace the Oâ‚‚ sensors? if not, have you access to a
>> scope? you'll need one to check their reaction time to see if they're
>> healthy. [they may pass self-test, but still be causing problems.]
>>
>> if you've done the sensors and they're good, but emissions are bad, the
>> cat is cooked - you can't unburn burnt toast.
>>
>> --
>> nomina rutrum rutrum

> The O2 is good (Unfortunately?)

sounds like you're talking about the smog test output figures saying Oâ‚‚
is good, but that's not what i'm talking about. it's rare for Oâ‚‚ to be
bad. cat failure is usually NOâ‚“ - what were your full test figures?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

91 YJ catalytic converter? [email protected] Jeep 16 December 1st 07 05:22 AM
catalytic converter newman Honda 4 June 27th 07 12:28 AM
catalytic converter loub Honda 3 September 6th 06 01:22 AM
Catalytic Converter Bleedinred Honda 2 April 22nd 06 06:37 PM
Is it for sure the Catalytic Converter? G-Ram VW water cooled 26 July 16th 05 06:18 AM