catalytic converter

Old October 6th 05, 02:06 AM
BDragon

Default catalytic converter

You know how sometimes your vehicle just doesn't feel quite right, but you
can't really point to anything that's a problem? I've been having that
uncomfortable feeling for a while, and I just got to wondering how a person
can check the catalytic converter. I had a truck that I bought because it
wouldn't run, and a replacement of the catalytic did the trick. Do they
slowly become stuffed with garbage and slowly deteriorate the car's
performance, or does it just suddenly happen? I have a 1977 350ci. Most
everything is new, but I haven't done anything to the exhaust yet.

Old October 6th 05, 12:52 PM
sbright

I've never had a "stuffed" catalyc converter..(although I've heard of this
being a problem) I can tell you though,
that I had a broken baffle in a muffler and after replacing the muffler..
the car ran way WAY better.

-Stan

news

Old October 6th 05, 07:30 PM
RicSeyler

A '77? I'd say it's a decent chance the converter is plugging..
Back in those days many people would run leaded gas in them
and that would melt the honeycomb...

Has the gas filler area been knocked out to fit a leaded nozzle?

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old October 6th 05, 07:51 PM
WayneC

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question482.htm
http://www.misterfixit.com/cat.htm
Old October 6th 05, 10:05 PM

do a pressure test, you can make a adaptor out of an old O2 sensor to
connect to your fuel pressure gauge with a short length of hose, if it
is more than 4-5 inches it is plugged up, you can test to see if it is
working by using a infrared temp gun, check the temps before and after
the cat, should be at least 100 degrees hotter after the converter.
some times the substrate will come loose and you can hit the converter
with your hand and hear it rattle around (make sure that puppy is
cooled off, they get real hot)
Greg
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:06:50 -0700, "BDragon"

Old October 7th 05, 03:50 AM
JG

"RicSeyler" > wrote in message
news
>A '77? I'd say it's a decent chance the converter is plugging..
> Back in those days many people would run leaded gas in them
> and that would melt the honeycomb...
>
> Has the gas filler area been knocked out to fit a leaded nozzle?

Didn't they run the large ones with the pellets in them back then? They
were notorious for going bad. Mine did on my 75 Monte Carlo in 1979.

Old October 7th 05, 05:30 PM
RicSeyler

errrr..... you are absolutely right they were filled with pellets,
and the pellets would melt together with the leaded gas.
Not honeycomb. I forgot about the plug on the bottom
we would remove to dump out the pellets... LOLOL

Old October 8th 05, 02:08 AM
BDragon

"RicSeyler" > wrote in message
news
> A '77? I'd say it's a decent chance the converter is plugging..
> Back in those days many people would run leaded gas in them
> and that would melt the honeycomb...
>
> Has the gas filler area been knocked out to fit a leaded nozzle?

No, the filler is for non-leaded only. Since I've had it, it has only run
premium unleaded gasoline. The condition of the entire exhaust system makes
me think it has probably undergone at least one change. There are no holes,
and very few dents.

Old October 8th 05, 02:12 AM
BDragon

> wrote in message
> do a pressure test, you can make a adaptor out of an old O2 sensor to
> connect to your fuel pressure gauge with a short length of hose, if it
> is more than 4-5 inches it is plugged up, you can test to see if it is
> working by using a infrared temp gun, check the temps before and after
> the cat, should be at least 100 degrees hotter after the converter.
> some times the substrate will come loose and you can hit the converter
> with your hand and hear it rattle around (make sure that puppy is
> cooled off, they get real hot)
> Greg
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:06:50 -0700,

Could you be a bit more specific on using the O2 sensor. I don't understand
how to do this? Thanks.

I wouldn't mind doing the infrared temp gun check, but I'll have to check on
the price of that piece of equipment first. Might be one of those things I
would want someone who already has a gun do. Would there be other methods
of testing that temperature differential?

Smacking it is something, however, that I can do, for sure. LOL. Thanks.

"BDragon"

Old October 8th 05, 02:16 AM
BDragon

"RicSeyler" > wrote in message
> errrr..... you are absolutely right they were filled with pellets,
> and the pellets would melt together with the leaded gas.
> Not honeycomb. I forgot about the plug on the bottom
> we would remove to dump out the pellets... LOLOL

Didn't the ones with the pellets end up smelling like rotten eggs? This one
doesn't have the bottom dump in the catalytic, which is another reason I've
been thinking it has been changed out somewhere along the way. One time, in
its history, the car left the road -- didn't roll -- but I understand it
went broadside into a field and caused some damage. Maybe the exhaust was
replaced then, which is about twelve years back. I've had the car for about
four or five years now, and for three of those, it just sat. So it might
have had eight or so years of running on it. It was definitely a daily
driver back then.