Engine speeds, performance data

Old November 4th 05, 01:08 PM
Jack

Default Engine speeds, performance data

Some of the cars (not VW) I've rented recently have engine RPMS in the
1500 - 1800 range at highway crusing speeds, considerably lower than the
2500 - 3000 on our older Golfs.

Has VW introduced this lower speed range?

If so, what year and models would have it?

Where would I look on the internet for this data? I haven't found these
specs in my current search attempts.

And where might I find VW engine tourque, hp and fuel consumption
graphs?

Thanks.

Old November 4th 05, 03:53 PM
Mike Smith

Jack wrote:
> Some of the cars (not VW) I've rented recently have engine RPMS in the
> 1500 - 1800 range at highway crusing speeds, considerably lower than the
> 2500 - 3000 on our older Golfs.
>
> Has VW introduced this lower speed range?

That seems like an awfully long top gear. My '03 Passat V6 runs about
27-28 mph per 1000 rpm in top gear, i.e. about 2Krpm for 55 mph, or
about 2500 rpm for about 70 mph (a typical highway cruising speed in my
neck o' the woods.

--
Mike Smith
Old November 4th 05, 05:10 PM
Detailing Dude

Probably TDI My 05 Passat TDI runs about 1800 at 60mph

Cecil

Old November 4th 05, 08:43 PM
Mike Smith

Detailing Dude wrote:

> "Mike Smith" > wrote in message
>
>>Jack wrote:
>>
>>>Some of the cars (not VW) I've rented recently have engine RPMS in the
>>>1500 - 1800 range at highway crusing speeds, considerably lower than the
>>>2500 - 3000 on our older Golfs.
>>>
>>>Has VW introduced this lower speed range?

>>That seems like an awfully long top gear. My '03 Passat V6 runs about
>>27-28 mph per 1000 rpm in top gear, i.e. about 2Krpm for 55 mph, or
>>about 2500 rpm for about 70 mph (a typical highway cruising speed in my
>>neck o' the woods.

> Probably TDI My 05 Passat TDI runs about 1800 at 60mph

Are diesel rentals common in Canada? They're virtually unheard of in
the States.

--
Mike Smith
Old November 5th 05, 01:12 AM
Rob Guenther

I dont think they exist... who would want some moron filling up with
gasoline in a diesel... I've never even seen a VW for rent driving around
except for when the Beetle was the hot car.

Old November 5th 05, 01:57 AM
David Cotie

The local National (Tilden) had 4 Jetta TDi's here in North Bay. I was
fortunate enough to rent one. Three out of the four were dead within a month
because of people filling them with gas, instead of diesel. I think they
sold the 4th to avoid it being destroyed too! They don't have them anymore.

North Bay to Toronto and back (700 km roughly) and still had 3/8 of a tank.

DC