Offboard hybridization

Old September 8th 11, 07:58 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

Default Offboard hybridization

A thought occurred to me last night: why do you need to bother with
lugging a huge battery onboard
when you could just flush the battery and the motor(s) into the floor
of a purpose built trailers.

This solves the the hard winter starts problem and awd (lack of it)
problem for BRZ in winter
by providing 4x6 layout and allows for a 6x6 setup for the rest of the
subaru lineup. Just hitch up the trailer,
plug the trailer cable and (hopefully) go. But then, there is an issue
of folks
insisting on running all season tires on the trailer year round.

With a two wheel trailer you could have a 6x8 and 8x8 setups: the heft
of the battery should reliably
anchor the trailer to the ground allowing for a perfect 50:50 weight
spit between the wheels.

Me thinks having a horse trailer would work even better since there is
600 kilo worth of meat
helping the wheels to cut through the snow (multiple that by 2 for a
double, but
then there is an issue of a unperfect weight distribution side to
side)
Old September 8th 11, 02:30 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
1 Lucky Texan[_2_]

On Sep 8, 1:58*am, AD > wrote:
> A thought occurred to me last night: why do you need to bother with
> lugging a huge battery onboard
> when you could just flush the battery and the motor(s) into the floor
> of a purpose built trailers.
>
> This solves the the hard winter starts problem and awd (lack of it)
> problem for BRZ in winter
> by providing 4x6 layout and allows for a 6x6 setup for the rest of the
> subaru lineup. Just hitch up the trailer,
> plug the trailer cable and (hopefully) go. But then, there is an issue
> of folks
> insisting on running all season tires on the trailer year round.
>
> With a two wheel trailer you could have a 6x8 and 8x8 setups: the heft
> of the battery should reliably
> anchor the trailer to the ground allowing for a perfect 50:50 weight
> spit between the wheels.
>
> Me thinks having a horse trailer would work even better since there is
> 600 kilo worth of meat
> helping the wheels to cut through the snow (multiple that by 2 for a
> double, but
> then there is an issue of a unperfect weight distribution side to
> side)

I think Chrysler and others have done related concept vehicles - where
different components are hooked together. Like turning your small
commuter into a passenger van etc.

I suspect there are a lot of reasons why we don't see the kind of
innovation you're suggesting. Safety regs being one of them. Why try
something radically different if it opens you up to risks your
competitors aren't taking? In a climate where one or a dozen idiots, a
frenzied media, and 'maybe' a coupla sticking accelerator pedals can
almost bankrupt Toyota? I mean, we now have to have cars with
collision avoidance and back-up cameras. Imagine the average person
trying to regularly and SAFELY hook up to and drive with a trailer -
particularly one that may have huge amounts of battery energy stored
on board. And where do you park this thing when not being used?
I bet there are terabytes of cool ideas from automotive engineers that
are shelved because cars have to be built to easily and safely be
operated by folks that have the mental capacity of a distracted 3rd
grader.
Old September 8th 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

Vehicle and trailer? Where will people be parking a setup like that down
town? Most people don't even know how to back up a trailer.Did I miss
something somewhere?
cuhulin

Old September 9th 11, 08:25 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

On Sep 8, 4:30*pm, 1 Lucky Texan > wrote:
> On Sep 8, 1:58*am, AD > wrote:
>

> > A thought occurred to me last night: why do you need to bother with
> > lugging a huge battery onboard
> > when you could just flush the battery and the motor(s) into the floor
> > of a purpose built trailers.

> > This solves the the hard winter starts problem and awd (lack of it)
> > problem for BRZ in winter
> > by providing 4x6 layout and allows for a 6x6 setup for the rest of the
> > subaru lineup. Just hitch up the trailer,
> > plug the trailer cable and (hopefully) go. But then, there is an issue
> > of folks
> > insisting on running all season tires on the trailer year round.

> > With a two wheel trailer you could have a 6x8 and 8x8 setups: the heft
> > of the battery should reliably
> > anchor the trailer to the ground allowing for a perfect 50:50 weight
> > spit between the wheels.

> > Me thinks having a horse trailer would work even better since there is
> > 600 kilo worth of meat
> > helping the wheels to cut through the snow (multiple that by 2 for a
> > double, but
> > then there is an issue of a unperfect weight distribution side to
> > side)

> I think Chrysler and others have done related concept vehicles - where
> different components are hooked together. Like turning your small
> commuter into a passenger van etc.
>
> I suspect there are a lot of reasons why we don't see the kind of
> innovation you're suggesting. Safety regs being one of them. Why try
> something radically different if it opens you up to risks your
> competitors aren't taking? In a climate where one or a dozen idiots, a
> frenzied media, *and 'maybe' a coupla sticking accelerator pedals can
> almost bankrupt Toyota? I mean, we now have to have cars with
> collision avoidance and back-up cameras. Imagine the average person
> trying to regularly and SAFELY hook up to and drive with a trailer -
> particularly one that may have huge amounts of battery energy stored
> on board. And where do you park this thing when not being used?
> I bet there are terabytes of cool ideas from automotive engineers that
> are shelved because cars have to be built to easily and safely be
> operated by folks that have the mental capacity of a distracted 3rd
> grader.

Carl, I hate the idea of a suburu hybrid so much that I just could not
help myself.

In fact I hate it even more than the idea of a subaru diesel.
For all I care they could've stuck the hybrid powertrain into diesel
models only:
so that you could have some alternative means of propulsion when
that tractor of a car warms up in winter, that, or when the diesel
solidifies
and the only way for you to get off the ****ing motorway is by
electric
propulsion.

Hybrid powertrain should be mandatory on diesels to mitigate the risk
of traffic congestion
they create in below zero F temps by stalling and blocking the
traffic.
Old September 9th 11, 02:12 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
1 Lucky Texan[_2_]

On Sep 9, 2:25*am, AD > wrote:
> [...]

> > operated by folks that have the mental capacity of a distracted 3rd
> > grader.

> Carl, I hate the idea of a suburu hybrid so much that I just could not
> help myself.
>
> In fact I hate it even more than the idea of a subaru diesel.
> For all I care they could've stuck the hybrid powertrain into diesel
> models only:
> so that you could have some alternative means of propulsion when
> that tractor of a car warms up in winter, that, or when the diesel
> solidifies
> and the only way for you to get off the ****ing motorway is by
> electric
> propulsion.
>
> Hybrid powertrain should be mandatory on diesels to mitigate the risk
> of traffic congestion
> they create in below zero F temps by stalling and blocking the

I think hybrids have a place now in the market. But, I think they are
best suited to metro areas. They shine in 'city' driving and that's
where ground-level pollution is usually the worst, so the payoff with
'alternative' propulsion is highest. Prius and others don't really
have better highway mileage numbers than other similar gas-powered
vehicles. Hybrid or electric or compressed air w'ever - is best used
in taxi cabs and city buses and local delivery vehicles. It so happens
urban areas also frequently plow their streets I think so - AWD maybe
not necessary.

My mother-in-law has had a Prius - it had only slightly below average
reliability at best. My B-I-L also has had a Prius(it had problems)
and now has a hybrid Camry. But he is always on the highway and almost
any similar sized car would give him the same mileage. But he is an
'early adopter' type for any green tech. You can't reason with him. We
taxpayers have subsidized his purchase of 2 hybrid cars. We also
subsidized his installation of solar panels on his house. If it's such
outstanding technology, why does it need subsidies?

As for the boxer diesel, I think the Europeans love of diesel prompted
Subaru to chase more penetration in that market. I guess it's OK.
Subaru's models (legacy particularly) in the US have become bloated to
appeal to our market. Personally, I enjoy driving small, simple cars
and Subaru is almost leaving me behind. Even my wife is somewhat
shocked at the difference between new Outbacks and her 03 model. Where
I live though - I really have to wonder at my sanity for buying AWD
HAH!
Old September 9th 11, 03:28 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/09/2011 12:25 AM, AD wrote:
> On Sep 8, 4:30�pm, 1 Lucky > wrote:
>> On Sep 8, 1:58�am, > wrote:
>>

>>> A thought occurred to me last night: why do you need to bother with
>>> lugging a huge battery onboard
>>> when you could just flush the battery and the motor(s) into the floor
>>> of a purpose built trailers.

>>> This solves the the hard winter starts problem and awd (lack of it)
>>> problem for BRZ in winter
>>> by providing 4x6 layout and allows for a 6x6 setup for the rest of the
>>> subaru lineup. Just hitch up the trailer,
>>> plug the trailer cable and (hopefully) go. But then, there is an issue
>>> of folks
>>> insisting on running all season tires on the trailer year round.

>>> With a two wheel trailer you could have a 6x8 and 8x8 setups: the heft
>>> of the battery should reliably
>>> anchor the trailer to the ground allowing for a perfect 50:50 weight
>>> spit between the wheels.

>>> Me thinks having a horse trailer would work even better since there is
>>> 600 kilo worth of meat
>>> helping the wheels to cut through the snow (multiple that by 2 for a
>>> double, but
>>> then there is an issue of a unperfect weight distribution side to
>>> side)

>> I think Chrysler and others have done related concept vehicles - where
>> different components are hooked together. Like turning your small
>> commuter into a passenger van etc.
>>
>> I suspect there are a lot of reasons why we don't see the kind of
>> innovation you're suggesting. Safety regs being one of them. Why try
>> something radically different if it opens you up to risks your
>> competitors aren't taking? In a climate where one or a dozen idiots, a
>> frenzied media, �and 'maybe' a coupla sticking accelerator pedals can
>> almost bankrupt Toyota? I mean, we now have to have cars with
>> collision avoidance and back-up cameras. Imagine the average person
>> trying to regularly and SAFELY hook up to and drive with a trailer -
>> particularly one that may have huge amounts of battery energy stored
>> on board. And where do you park this thing when not being used?
>> I bet there are terabytes of cool ideas from automotive engineers that
>> are shelved because cars have to be built to easily and safely be
>> operated by folks that have the mental capacity of a distracted 3rd
>> grader.

> Carl, I hate the idea of a suburu hybrid so much that I just could not
> help myself.
>
> In fact I hate it even more than the idea of a subaru diesel.
> For all I care they could've stuck the hybrid powertrain into diesel
> models only:
> so that you could have some alternative means of propulsion when
> that tractor of a car warms up in winter, that, or when the diesel
> solidifies

ignorant underinformed drivel - apparently you've never heard of #1
diesel or kerosene, and haven't driven any diesel newer than 1970.

> and the only way for you to get off the ****ing motorway is by
> electric
> propulsion.
>
> Hybrid powertrain should be mandatory on diesels to mitigate the risk
> of traffic congestion
> they create in below zero F temps by stalling and blocking the
> traffic.

would that be driving to the supermarket? you know, the one that's just
had its supplies of senior diapers delivered by diesel trucks that
effortlessly managed to avoid all the idiot car drivers crapping
themselves in their efforts to keep technology at bay and keep paying
through the ass for 17mpg vehicles when they could be driving 35's?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 9th 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

Here ya go.
http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher2.htm
cuhulin

Old September 9th 11, 03:57 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Sep 7, 11:58*pm, AD > wrote:
> A thought occurred to me last night: why do you need to bother with
> lugging a huge battery onboard
> when you could just flush the battery and the motor(s) into the floor
> of a purpose built trailers.

It's been tried before.
This guy:
http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher2.htm
built a cool one from scratch.
Others have tried it as well, and the consensus of those I am aware of
is that the frictional and aero losses of the trailer offsets the
expected gains.
Same goes for mounting a large generator on a trailer to run an ev.
HTH
Ben
Old September 9th 11, 04:16 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/09/2011 07:57 AM, ben91932 wrote:
> On Sep 7, 11:58�pm, > wrote:
>> A thought occurred to me last night: why do you need to bother with
>> lugging a huge battery onboard
>> when you could just flush the battery and the motor(s) into the floor
>> of a purpose built trailers.
>>

> It's been tried before.
> This guy:
> http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher2.htm
> built a cool one from scratch.
> Others have tried it as well, and the consensus of those I am aware of
> is that the frictional and aero losses of the trailer offsets the
> expected gains.
> Same goes for mounting a large generator on a trailer to run an ev.
> HTH
> Ben

i think the biggest issue is the practically of an articulated vehicle.
nobody would want to see my grandmother try to parallel park anything
with a trailer, let alone back it out of a driveway.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 9th 11, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

More Pushers, the kind that hook up behind cars, that is.
http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...Pusher+Trailer
cuhulin