Scraped Rear Bumper

Old November 21st 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J.B. Wood

Default Scraped Rear Bumper

Hello, all. Well, I guess it had to happen but someone scraped the rear
bumper this morning on my 2011 Ford Focus (not even a year old). There
are no dents or gashes but numerous scratches, the worst one being deep
enough to show the plastic below the paint. Can the deep scratches on
the plastic bumper be filled in/repainted and buffed to the point where
very little or nothing shows? Or should I just leave it the way it is?
Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old November 21st 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"J.B. Wood" > wrote in message
> Hello, all. Well, I guess it had to happen but someone scraped the rear
> bumper this morning on my 2011 Ford Focus (not even a year old). There
> are no dents or gashes but numerous scratches, the worst one being deep
> enough to show the plastic below the paint. Can the deep scratches on the
> plastic bumper be filled in/repainted and buffed to the point where very
> little or nothing shows? Or should I just leave it the way it is? Thanks
> for your time and comment. Sincerely,
> --
> J. B. Wood e-mail:

My wife scraped the rear quarterpanel of our Blizzard White
Avalon against a stone fence. Looked horrible, and I knew
it would cost BIG bucks to have it repainted. Went to the
Toyota dealership and they polished it out with Zeema (sp?).
It is a bluish dispersion and can be bought at Autozone or
other. Unbelievable!! Even most of the scratches that went
through the paint were essentially removed.. Worth a try.
(I'll check the spelling on that product for you)

Old November 21st 11, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J.B. Wood

On 11/21/2011 11:41 AM, hls wrote:

> My wife scraped the rear quarterpanel of our Blizzard White
> Avalon against a stone fence. Looked horrible, and I knew
> it would cost BIG bucks to have it repainted. Went to the
> Toyota dealership and they polished it out with Zeema (sp?).
> It is a bluish dispersion and can be bought at Autozone or
> other. Unbelievable!! Even most of the scratches that went
> through the paint were essentially removed.. Worth a try.
> (I'll check the spelling on that product for you)

Hello, and thanks for replying. I did some Googling as well as going to
the Autozone website but couldn't find any product close to the name
"Zeema". Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old November 21st 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Nov 21, 1:32*pm, "J.B. Wood" > wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 11:41 AM, hls wrote:
>

> > My wife scraped the rear quarterpanel of our Blizzard White
> > Avalon against a stone fence. Looked horrible, and I knew
> > it would cost BIG bucks to have it repainted. Went to the
> > Toyota dealership and they polished it out with Zeema (sp?).
> > It is a bluish dispersion and can be bought at Autozone or
> > other. Unbelievable!! Even most of the scratches that went
> > through the paint were essentially removed.. Worth a try.
> > (I'll check the spelling on that product for you)

> Hello, and thanks for replying. *I did some Googling as well as going to
> the Autozone website but couldn't find any product close to the name
> "Zeema". *Sincerely,

Zymol maybe? they make a well-regarded wax, they might have a polish
as well. If you're showing plastic though, depending on how large the
scrape is and how much it bothers you, you may need to touch it up,
then shave the touchup with a run razor, *then* polish - or just
polish what you can and leave the rest.

If your car is less than a year old, though, your insurance company
might require you to fix the scrape. Whether you make an uninsured
motorists' claim and have a pro do it, or if you take care of it
yourself I suppose is up to you.

good luck

nate
Old November 22nd 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/21/2011 01:33 PM, N8N wrote:
> On Nov 21, 1:32�pm, "J.B. > wrote:
>> On 11/21/2011 11:41 AM, hls wrote:
>>

>>> My wife scraped the rear quarterpanel of our Blizzard White
>>> Avalon against a stone fence. Looked horrible, and I knew
>>> it would cost BIG bucks to have it repainted. Went to the
>>> Toyota dealership and they polished it out with Zeema (sp?).
>>> It is a bluish dispersion and can be bought at Autozone or
>>> other. Unbelievable!! Even most of the scratches that went
>>> through the paint were essentially removed.. Worth a try.
>>> (I'll check the spelling on that product for you)

>> Hello, and thanks for replying. �I did some Googling as well as going to
>> the Autozone website but couldn't find any product close to the name
>> "Zeema". �Sincerely,

> Zymol maybe? they make a well-regarded wax, they might have a polish
> as well. If you're showing plastic though, depending on how large the
> scrape is and how much it bothers you, you may need to touch it up,
> then shave the touchup with a run razor, *then* polish - or just
> polish what you can and leave the rest.
>
> If your car is less than a year old, though, your insurance company
> might require you to fix the scrape. Whether you make an uninsured
> motorists' claim and have a pro do it, or if you take care of it
> yourself I suppose is up to you.
>
> good luck
>
> nate

what are you guys smoking? can i have some?

seriously, wtf is all this nonsense? go live in any decent sized city
and park on a downtown street for a couple of days - you'll never notice
any /new/ scratches on your bumpers after a little urban "park by touch"
action.

[and don't drive on any freeways or near any farms either - just keep
the car inside the garage. away from earthquake and tornado zones.
encased in styrofoam]

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 22nd 11, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/21/2011 07:02 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 01:33 PM, N8N wrote:

>>> Hello, and thanks for replying. �I did some Googling as well as going to
>>> the Autozone website but couldn't find any product close to the name
>>> "Zeema". �Sincerely,

>> Zymol maybe? they make a well-regarded wax, they might have a polish
>> as well. If you're showing plastic though, depending on how large the
>> scrape is and how much it bothers you, you may need to touch it up,
>> then shave the touchup with a run razor, *then* polish - or just
>> polish what you can and leave the rest.
>>
>> If your car is less than a year old, though, your insurance company
>> might require you to fix the scrape. Whether you make an uninsured
>> motorists' claim and have a pro do it, or if you take care of it
>> yourself I suppose is up to you.
>>
>> good luck
>>
>> nate

> what are you guys smoking? can i have some?
>
> seriously, wtf is all this nonsense? go live in any decent sized city
> and park on a downtown street for a couple of days - you'll never notice
> any /new/ scratches on your bumpers after a little urban "park by touch"
> action.
>
> [and don't drive on any freeways or near any farms either - just keep
> the car inside the garage. away from earthquake and tornado zones.
> encased in styrofoam]

Aaaaand that's one of many reasons why I don't want to live in the city
and/or not have a driveway.

It doesn't help that manufacturers have gotten away from using chromed
steel and/or black textured plastic for bumper covers and now treat them
like any other part of the car body... Seriously, WTF were they thinking?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 22nd 11, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/21/2011 04:05 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 07:02 PM, jim beam wrote:

>>> Zymol maybe? they make a well-regarded wax, they might have a polish
>>> as well. If you're showing plastic though, depending on how large the
>>> scrape is and how much it bothers you, you may need to touch it up,
>>> then shave the touchup with a run razor, *then* polish - or just
>>> polish what you can and leave the rest.
>>>
>>> If your car is less than a year old, though, your insurance company
>>> might require you to fix the scrape. Whether you make an uninsured
>>> motorists' claim and have a pro do it, or if you take care of it
>>> yourself I suppose is up to you.
>>>
>>> good luck
>>>
>>> nate

>> what are you guys smoking? can i have some?
>>
>> seriously, wtf is all this nonsense? go live in any decent sized city
>> and park on a downtown street for a couple of days - you'll never notice
>> any /new/ scratches on your bumpers after a little urban "park by touch"
>> action.
>>
>> [and don't drive on any freeways or near any farms either - just keep
>> the car inside the garage. away from earthquake and tornado zones.
>> encased in styrofoam]
>>

> Aaaaand that's one of many reasons why I don't want to live in the city
> and/or not have a driveway.

what about the styrofoam?

> It doesn't help that manufacturers have gotten away from using chromed
> steel and/or black textured plastic for bumper covers and now treat them
> like any other part of the car body... Seriously, WTF were they thinking?

easy - they get to sell new bumpers and paint jobs to people like the
o.p. it's highly profitable. remember the old days of 5mph metal
bumpers? that got squashed p.d.q. - body shops and manufacturers
squealed blue murder over their sudden drop in income.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 22nd 11, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-11-22, jim beam > wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 01:33 PM, N8N wrote:

>>> Hello, and thanks for replying. ?I did some Googling as well as going to
>>> the Autozone website but couldn't find any product close to the name
>>> "Zeema". ?Sincerely,

>> Zymol maybe? they make a well-regarded wax, they might have a polish
>> as well. If you're showing plastic though, depending on how large the
>> scrape is and how much it bothers you, you may need to touch it up,
>> then shave the touchup with a run razor, *then* polish - or just
>> polish what you can and leave the rest.
>>
>> If your car is less than a year old, though, your insurance company
>> might require you to fix the scrape. Whether you make an uninsured
>> motorists' claim and have a pro do it, or if you take care of it
>> yourself I suppose is up to you.
>>
>> good luck
>>
>> nate

> what are you guys smoking? can i have some?
>
> seriously, wtf is all this nonsense? go live in any decent sized city
> and park on a downtown street for a couple of days - you'll never notice
> any /new/ scratches on your bumpers after a little urban "park by touch"
> action.
>
> [and don't drive on any freeways or near any farms either - just keep
> the car inside the garage. away from earthquake and tornado zones.
> encased in styrofoam]

Guess we now know the kind of person who scratched up the OP's car.

Old November 22nd 11, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/21/2011 05:46 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2011-11-22, jim > wrote:

>>> Zymol maybe? they make a well-regarded wax, they might have a polish
>>> as well. If you're showing plastic though, depending on how large the
>>> scrape is and how much it bothers you, you may need to touch it up,
>>> then shave the touchup with a run razor, *then* polish - or just
>>> polish what you can and leave the rest.
>>>
>>> If your car is less than a year old, though, your insurance company
>>> might require you to fix the scrape. Whether you make an uninsured
>>> motorists' claim and have a pro do it, or if you take care of it
>>> yourself I suppose is up to you.
>>>
>>> good luck
>>>
>>> nate

>> what are you guys smoking? can i have some?
>>
>> seriously, wtf is all this nonsense? go live in any decent sized city
>> and park on a downtown street for a couple of days - you'll never notice
>> any /new/ scratches on your bumpers after a little urban "park by touch"
>> action.
>>
>> [and don't drive on any freeways or near any farms either - just keep
>> the car inside the garage. away from earthquake and tornado zones.
>> encased in styrofoam]

> Guess we now know the kind of person who scratched up the OP's car.

wow, that's passive-aggressive! hypocritical too given the behavior
pattern you've just exhibited.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 22nd 11, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-11-22, jim beam > wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 05:46 PM, Brent wrote:

>>> what are you guys smoking? can i have some?
>>>
>>> seriously, wtf is all this nonsense? go live in any decent sized city
>>> and park on a downtown street for a couple of days - you'll never notice
>>> any /new/ scratches on your bumpers after a little urban "park by touch"
>>> action.
>>>
>>> [and don't drive on any freeways or near any farms either - just keep
>>> the car inside the garage. away from earthquake and tornado zones.
>>> encased in styrofoam]

>> Guess we now know the kind of person who scratched up the OP's car.

> wow, that's passive-aggressive! hypocritical too given the behavior
> pattern you've just exhibited.

Pattern? That's my first post in the thread. Try to pay attention.

Simply put, the kind of person who scracthes, dings, and otherwise
damages another person's car is the same sort of person who ridicules
those who like to keep their property nice.

2002 Jeep cherokee rear bumper will a 2000 bumper fit?? Harry Palmer Jeep 9 February 1st 07 02:19 PM
WTB: Looking for TJ rear bumper Mood Jeep 9 February 23rd 06 11:10 PM
'91' XJ: R&R rear bumper Bill L Jeep 3 June 15th 05 01:29 AM
some idiot scraped my rear bumper mike113 Honda 8 November 26th 04 12:55 PM
Rear bumper dvc Alfa Romeo 0 September 9th 04 02:22 AM