Oil leak around distributor after O-ring replacement

Old November 22nd 11, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
muzician21

Default Oil leak around distributor after O-ring replacement

89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Was puking oil out around the distributor
base. The old O-ring was flattened and brittle. Replaced with a Toyota
OEM O-ring. Still getting leakage.

Any suggestions?
Old November 22nd 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
muzician21

On Nov 22, 6:56*pm, muzician21 > wrote:
> 89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Was puking oil out around the distributor
> base. The old O-ring was flattened and brittle. Replaced with a Toyota
> OEM O-ring. Still getting leakage.

I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.

Old November 23rd 11, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
hls

"muzician21" > wrote in message
On Nov 22, 6:56 pm, muzician21 > wrote:
> 89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Was puking oil out around the distributor
> base. The old O-ring was flattened and brittle. Replaced with a Toyota
> OEM O-ring. Still getting leakage.

I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.

*****
It can be easy to pinch that new O-ring sometimes.

Also, could be that you are developing pressure inside the
crankcase. Malfunctioning PCV system, too much blowby,
etc could be a contributing factor.

Old November 23rd 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/22/2011 07:30 PM, hls wrote:

> "muzician21" > wrote in message
> On Nov 22, 6:56 pm, muzician21 > wrote:
>> 89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Was puking oil out around the distributor
>> base. The old O-ring was flattened and brittle. Replaced with a Toyota
>> OEM O-ring. Still getting leakage.

> I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.
>
> *****
> It can be easy to pinch that new O-ring sometimes.
>
> Also, could be that you are developing pressure inside the
> crankcase. Malfunctioning PCV system, too much blowby,
> etc could be a contributing factor.

Alternately, is there excessive play in the distributor shaft? Might be
time to have it rebushed, if you can find someone who still knows how to
do that.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 23rd 11, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"muzician21" > wrote in message
On Nov 22, 6:56 pm, muzician21 > wrote:
> 89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Was puking oil out around the distributor
> base. The old O-ring was flattened and brittle. Replaced with a Toyota
> OEM O-ring. Still getting leakage.

I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You either damaged the new o-ring, or there is debris in the space where the
seal is supposed to happen.

Old November 23rd 11, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/22/2011 03:57 PM, muzician21 wrote:
> On Nov 22, 6:56�pm, > wrote:
>> 89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Was puking oil out around the distributor
>> base. The old O-ring was flattened and brittle. Replaced with a Toyota
>> OEM O-ring. Still getting leakage.

> I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.

as others say, the new o-ring might have been pinched and torn. was it
tight going back and did you use the distributor bolts to get it back
into its socket?

check again, and check the mount area. on split facings, you can get
oil seepage along the groove obviously.

if the oil is found to be leaking from the distributor's internal shaft
seal, you'll need to replace that. most distributors are not built to
be consumer repairable so if it's leaking, you're probably best advised
to get a fully reconditioned distributor.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 23rd 11, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
hls

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> On 11/22/2011 07:30 PM, hls wrote:
>>
>> "muzician21" > wrote in message
>> On Nov 22, 6:56 pm, muzician21 > wrote:
>>> 89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Was puking oil out around the distributor
>>> base. The old O-ring was flattened and brittle. Replaced with a Toyota
>>> OEM O-ring. Still getting leakage.

>> I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.
>>
>> *****
>> It can be easy to pinch that new O-ring sometimes.
>>
>> Also, could be that you are developing pressure inside the
>> crankcase. Malfunctioning PCV system, too much blowby,
>> etc could be a contributing factor.

> Alternately, is there excessive play in the distributor shaft? Might be
> time to have it rebushed, if you can find someone who still knows how to
> do that.
>
> nate

I have only had to do that once in my life, to take some
slack out of a worn distributor bushing. It was, however,
a piece of cake. Now, this was a simple Ford distributor
used in the big block engine, but the process was straight
forward and very easy to do.

Old November 23rd 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Kevin Bottorff[_2_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>> On 11/22/2011 07:30 PM, hls wrote:

>>> I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.
>>>
>>> *****
>>> It can be easy to pinch that new O-ring sometimes.
>>>
>>> Also, could be that you are developing pressure inside the
>>> crankcase. Malfunctioning PCV system, too much blowby,
>>> etc could be a contributing factor.

>> Alternately, is there excessive play in the distributor shaft? Might
>> be time to have it rebushed, if you can find someone who still knows
>> how to do that.
>>
>> nate

> I have only had to do that once in my life, to take some
> slack out of a worn distributor bushing. It was, however,
> a piece of cake. Now, this was a simple Ford distributor
> used in the big block engine, but the process was straight
> forward and very easy to do.

last time I tried to get a dist part it was unavailable unless you were a
rebuilder. KB
Old November 23rd 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
hls

"Kevin Bottorff" > wrote in message
> "hls" > wrote in
> :

>>> Alternately, is there excessive play in the distributor shaft? Might
>>> be time to have it rebushed, if you can find someone who still knows
>>> how to do that.
>>>
>>> nate

>> I have only had to do that once in my life, to take some
>> slack out of a worn distributor bushing. It was, however,
>> a piece of cake. Now, this was a simple Ford distributor
>> used in the big block engine, but the process was straight
>> forward and very easy to do.
>>

> last time I tried to get a dist part it was unavailable unless you were a
> rebuilder. KB

I dont remember now whether I ordered this bushing from
Ford or got it at a local parts house. Toyota parts might be
a totally different matter. Or, you might be lucky enough to
find a suitable bushing from generic bushing sets.

On some things like alternator parts, etc, I have gone to
local rebuilders and they were happy to supply me with
the "rebuilder only" parts I needed.

Old November 23rd 11, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
N8N

On Nov 23, 2:19*pm, "hls" > wrote:
> "Kevin Bottorff" > wrote in message

> > "hls" > wrote in
> m:

> >> I have only had to do that once in my life, to take some
> >> slack out of a worn distributor bushing. *It was, however,
> >> a piece of cake. *Now, this was a simple Ford distributor
> >> used in the big block engine, but the process was straight
> >> forward and very easy to do.

> > last time I tried to get a dist part it was unavailable unless you were a
> > rebuilder. *KB

> I dont remember now whether I ordered this bushing from
> Ford or got it at a local parts house. * Toyota parts might be
> a totally different matter. *Or, you might be lucky enough to
> find a suitable bushing from generic bushing sets.
>
> On some things like alternator parts, etc, I have gone to
> local rebuilders and they were happy to supply me with
> the "rebuilder only" parts I needed.

My "local rebuilder" is 70-some miles away (for alternators and
starters) and I don't even know if they work on distributors or not.
You are fortunate!

nate