Valet Key

Old February 17th 05, 05:36 AM
Bill Hall

Default Valet Key

Know this has been covered several times,BUT, can't find the msg.in a
search.
Is there a valet key for the Explorer that can be bought over the counter?
Have the second "fob", but lost the second key. 99 XLT
Thnx
Bill

Old February 18th 05, 03:44 AM
Jim Warman

Not sure what you mean by "valet" key. What feature(s) were you hoping to
disable?

Old February 18th 05, 04:13 AM
Bill Hall

Hi Jim
In years "gone by" there was a key that would operate the doors and ignition
only. Used for "valet parking" to keep prying hands from the glove box.
Would NOT have the PATS ll system installed! Curious if this was available
for the Explorer.
Thnx
Bill

Old February 18th 05, 06:19 AM
Jim Warman

Yep... I recall them well... the valet key for the corvette even reduces
engine torque and limits engine rpm. If the cubbyhole is equipped with a
lock, it should use a different key.... I don't work on Exs much in my
current job but I recall that some trim levels featured other locking
storage (perhaps someone can chime in).

Some high end marques have a hidden valet key that functions much like the
Corvette feature. Nothing for the Ex, though...

Old February 18th 05, 08:15 AM
Bill Hall

Thnx "ma friend". Guess I'll have to come up with a different approach.
Catch ya on one of the "sawdust groups"
Bill