Patching hole in a muffler?

Old November 24th 05, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Patching hole in a muffler?

I have some holes in a bus muffler that can't be welded, so I want to patch them with
something. Has anyone had success with some kind of epoxy, or anything else, that will
stand up to the muffler heat...I mean actual success, not heresay. That holes aren't
that large, the gaps at most 1/2 inch by 1 inch.

Thanks in advance,

John

Old November 24th 05, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

If ya have some holes ya have lots of rust and more holes -- replace the
muffler and avoid carbon monoxide poisioning.

Old November 24th 05, 10:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thank you for that but I don't have lots of rust and I don't have lots of holes. I
still would like to know if there is a substance that can be used to patch muffler holes
successfully.

John

Old November 24th 05, 11:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

John,

I do believe that you will never be able to patch muffler holes successfully. Of
course it also depends on what you mean "successfully" Any patch on a muffler will
never last. You can by a substance to patch on a shop that sells car parts or on
a superstore. Usually these kits also have a sheet metal to use on bigger holes.
I would prefer to spend my money on a good bottle of wine.

"jbclem" > wrote:
>Thank you for that but I don't have lots of rust and I don't have lots of
>holes. I
>still would like to know if there is a substance that can be used to patch
>muffler holes
>successfully.
>
>John
>

>"Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>> If ya have some holes ya have lots of rust and more holes -- replace the
>> muffler and avoid carbon monoxide poisioning.
>>
>> "jbclem" > wrote in message
>> >I have some holes in a bus muffler that can't be welded, so I want to patch
>> >them with
>> > something. Has anyone had success with some kind of epoxy, or anything
>> > else, that will
>> > stand up to the muffler heat...I mean actual success, not heresay. That
>> > holes aren't
>> > that large, the gaps at most 1/2 inch by 1 inch.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > John

Joao
Old November 24th 05, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

There is a Bondo substance sold at say Advanced Auto that can be used - you
have to clean area then get wet and apply the heat setting putty (comes in a
3" flat can). They also have a kit with some gause looking stuff - called a
muffler bandage. I've used the putty when assembling a new exhaust system
on stuborn to seal joints. You then start vehicle and let it run to heat up
and cure the putty. If you rev engine you will blow the putty out if not
cured. Make sure there are no holes in ehaust behind the heat exchanger
cover or you will be poisioning you and your passengers! I conside patches
just that a very temporary patch.

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...st-repair.aspx

Old November 24th 05, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

jbclem wrote:
> I have some holes in a bus muffler that can't be welded, so I want to patch them with
> something. Has anyone had success with some kind of epoxy, or anything else, that will
> stand up to the muffler heat...I mean actual success, not heresay. That holes aren't
> that large, the gaps at most 1/2 inch by 1 inch.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John

what kind of muffler can't be welded? never heard...

jan

Old November 24th 05, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Hey John
This might sound like a stupid idea but a buddy of mine worked in the
military and gave me the idea. It works ok for a while.

Take a soda can. cut it in half the long way and wrap it around the
hole. A few cold rivets later your done.

This'll work until you can replace the whole thing. Yes, it works I'm
hoping it's not a permanent thing

Old November 24th 05, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Sorry for my last post. thats for the exhaust not the muffler. my bad
Raul