A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » VW water cooled
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

97 Jetta GT rear brake caliper bracket bolts stripping



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 6th 04, 08:26 PM
Chad Leigh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default 97 Jetta GT rear brake caliper bracket bolts stripping

Hi

Yesterday I successfully replaced the rear brake disc and pads on the
driver side rear wheel on my 97 Jetta GT. I had to go to Sears and
Checker Auto 2x each to get various tools, a halogen light as it got
dark, and other things :-) but it was successful. I used both the
Bentley and Haynes manuals.

Today, with my knowledge gained yesterday :-), I am doing the passenger
side rear. However, the two bolts with the female hex openings that
hold the caliper bracket seem to thoroughly be rusted in place. I have
soaked them repeatedly with some super penetrating rust buster I bought
as well as some WD40. Using a socket male hex end I have been trying to
loosen them up. On one of them, the socket ratchet suddenly gave way
and the inside seems to be stripped out :-( and the other one has been
damaged inside but not yet stripped when the male hex end suddenly
popped out.

I would like some hints and help on how to get these bolts out (
obviously they will have to be replaced).

I am wishing that VW used standard bolts with normal hex bolt heads (
outside) so I could use a normal socket. They are easier to control...

Thanks for any hints and help
Chad
Ads
  #2  
Old October 6th 04, 08:46 PM
Tom's VR6
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Chad Leigh wrote:

>
>
>Today, with my knowledge gained yesterday :-), I am doing the passenger
>side rear. However, the two bolts with the female hex openings that
>hold the caliper bracket seem to thoroughly be rusted in place. I have
>soaked them repeatedly with some super penetrating rust buster I bought
>as well as some WD40. Using a socket male hex end I have been trying to
>loosen them up. On one of them, the socket ratchet suddenly gave way
>and the inside seems to be stripped out :-( and the other one has been
>damaged inside but not yet stripped when the male hex end suddenly
>popped out.
>
>I would like some hints and help on how to get these bolts out (
>obviously they will have to be replaced).


I suggest pounding the hex wrench into the good bolt. What is that
-- 7 mm? Also grip the outside of the bolt head with a good ViseGrip
pliers. Tighten the wrench as much as you can. Apply torque with
both tools at the same time.

For the bad one, perhaps you can pound a slightly bigger wrench
inside. instead of 7 mm, you might get a 9/32. If it is 8 mm, try
to find a 21/64. Perhaps somebody will know of an easy-out.

On the other hand, perhaps pounding the allen wrench and the
ViceGrip extra-tight will be enough even on the bad screw.


  #3  
Old October 6th 04, 10:15 PM
Woodchuck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes, not a good choice for VW to use then style of bolts. It maybe to late
but I always use Allen sockets made by Snap-on tools because they are the
best and will not round out the bolts. Been-there-done-that!

"Chad Leigh" > wrote in message
...
> Hi
>
> Yesterday I successfully replaced the rear brake disc and pads on the
> driver side rear wheel on my 97 Jetta GT. I had to go to Sears and
> Checker Auto 2x each to get various tools, a halogen light as it got
> dark, and other things :-) but it was successful. I used both the
> Bentley and Haynes manuals.
>
> Today, with my knowledge gained yesterday :-), I am doing the passenger
> side rear. However, the two bolts with the female hex openings that
> hold the caliper bracket seem to thoroughly be rusted in place. I have
> soaked them repeatedly with some super penetrating rust buster I bought
> as well as some WD40. Using a socket male hex end I have been trying to
> loosen them up. On one of them, the socket ratchet suddenly gave way
> and the inside seems to be stripped out :-( and the other one has been
> damaged inside but not yet stripped when the male hex end suddenly
> popped out.
>
> I would like some hints and help on how to get these bolts out (
> obviously they will have to be replaced).
>
> I am wishing that VW used standard bolts with normal hex bolt heads (
> outside) so I could use a normal socket. They are easier to control...
>
> Thanks for any hints and help
> Chad



  #4  
Old October 7th 04, 06:07 PM
Chad Leigh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks to all who responded, on and off-line. I tried various things
suggested.

I was able to get the one out that I descrobed as not yet stripped (
though it was stripped by the time I got it out). Vice grips to the
rescue. The other one I have not been able to get out and I will
probably just take it in and have a mechanic get it out.

As I am sitting on jackstands with it, I don't trust myself with a torch
that close to the gas tank (it is on the same side).

I put some new pads on the old rotor for now and the car is drivable
again, for now.

Thanks all
Chad
  #5  
Old October 8th 04, 03:48 AM
LaM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just replaced the discs and pad on my 88 Scirocco. I used the hex wrench
AND the wheel bolt wrench that comes with the car. After soaking for a few
minutes with WD-40 and Liquid Wrench, I put the open end on the wheel bolt
wrench over the hex wrench and had a little more leverage. Worked on both
sides with some effort. The car was on jack stands as well as I had the
floor jack in place as backup. Good luck!
Lloyd

"Chad Leigh" > wrote in message
...
> Thanks to all who responded, on and off-line. I tried various things
> suggested.
>
> I was able to get the one out that I descrobed as not yet stripped (
> though it was stripped by the time I got it out). Vice grips to the
> rescue. The other one I have not been able to get out and I will
> probably just take it in and have a mechanic get it out.
>
> As I am sitting on jackstands with it, I don't trust myself with a torch
> that close to the gas tank (it is on the same side).
>
> I put some new pads on the old rotor for now and the car is drivable
> again, for now.
>
> Thanks all
> Chad



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New *FREE* Corvette Discussion Forum JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION Corvette 12 November 30th 04 06:36 PM
Rear brake adjustment: 95 SW1 David Teichholtz Saturn 1 June 29th 04 03:36 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.