Since it's slow...

Old November 4th 04, 11:15 AM
Jan

Default Since it's slow...

Michael Cecil wrote:

> I'll ask a question. Has anyone ever fitted their bug with some kind of
> wiper delay doohicky? With a flat windshield it catches all the mist and
> light rain that the laminar flow diverts in most cars but even the slow
> wiper speed is too fast sometimes. Rather than wear out my wiper switch
> I'd like to install a circuit that can add a delay at the end of the wiper
> blade travel. Maybe there is some kit for this available?
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Kits are readily available at many auto parts stores.
Or were some years ago.

Jan
Old November 4th 04, 02:05 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Michael Cecil wrote:
> I'll ask a question. Has anyone ever fitted their bug with some kind of
> wiper delay doohicky? With a flat windshield it catches all the mist and
> light rain that the laminar flow diverts in most cars but even the slow
> wiper speed is too fast sometimes. Rather than wear out my wiper switch
> I'd like to install a circuit that can add a delay at the end of the wiper
> blade travel. Maybe there is some kit for this available?

JCwhitney.com sells a delay kit. There is a small problem-- it operates
at 12V but only drives 6V wiper motors. Seems like a clever person could
modify it with a relay or some transistors to drive a 12V motor. I might
get one and tinker with it.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old November 4th 04, 06:05 PM
Larry St. Regis

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:15:43 +0200, Jan > wrote:
>>
>>Michael Cecil wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll ask a question. Has anyone ever fitted their bug with some kind of
>>> wiper delay doohicky? With a flat windshield it catches all the mist
>>> and
>>> light rain that the laminar flow diverts in most cars but even the slow
>>> wiper speed is too fast sometimes. Rather than wear out my wiper switch
>>> I'd like to install a circuit that can add a delay at the end of the
>>> wiper
>>> blade travel. Maybe there is some kit for this available?

>>Kits are readily available at many auto parts stores.
>>Or were some years ago.

> Yeah they are but I was hoping someone had some advice in hooking one up.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

I installed one of these
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...X/appId-503346
in my dad's VW Camper many years ago. It worked fine until he was in Montana
driving back from east coast in a pouring rain and it shorted. He had to
pull over and re-wire around it. However, when it WAS working, it worked
great. Lasted about 3 years, if I recall.

Larry
--
'71 Super Beetle - "Herman"
http://www.i4putt.com/Herman/herman.htm

Old November 4th 04, 07:54 PM
Seth Graham

On 2004-11-04, Michael Cecil > wrote:

> Yeah they are but I was hoping someone had some advice in hooking one up.

a PO of my current beetle did something like this, never quite
figured out exactly what the parts he installed came from, but
it looked like a manual speed controller off an RC car, had a
knob that closed different contacts depending on position,
presumably altering the power that the wiper motor would recieve.

They drilled a hole in the dash and poked the knob through so it
could be adjusted from the interior.

Problem is, it never actually accomplished anything. On the
"low" setting, the wipers don't move. On every other setting,
they function at full speed.

My advice in hooking something up, don't do what the PO did.

Old November 4th 04, 11:02 PM
Chris Perdue

>From: Michael Cecil

>>I installed one of these

>>http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...s-10101/p-1598

11/mediaCode-ZX/appId-503346

>>in my dad's VW Camper many years ago. It worked fine until he was in Montana

>>driving back from east coast in a pouring rain and it shorted. He had to
>>pull over and re-wire around it. However, when it WAS working, it worked
>>great. Lasted about 3 years, if I recall.
>>
>>Larry

>Hmmmm, thanks. That looks about like what I tried before.

i installed one of those in my 74 std beetle...it was only slightly different
with the "mist" feature....definitely *not* stock appearing, but it worked for
close to ten years and i still have it in my basement(took it out when ijunked
the car)....

-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 4th 04, 11:34 PM
Shaggie

On 04 Nov 2004 23:02:07 GMT, EMOVE (Chris Perdue)
wrote:

>>From: Michael Cecil

>>>I installed one of these

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...s-10101/p-1598
>11/mediaCode-ZX/appId-503346
>>
>>>in my dad's VW Camper many years ago. It worked fine until he was in Montana

>>>driving back from east coast in a pouring rain and it shorted. He had to
>>>pull over and re-wire around it. However, when it WAS working, it worked
>>>great. Lasted about 3 years, if I recall.
>>>
>>>Larry

>>Hmmmm, thanks. That looks about like what I tried before.
>>

>i installed one of those in my 74 std beetle..

I installed one of these on my '63 beetle:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...1/p-44/c-10101

>.it was only slightly different
>with the "mist" feature....definitely *not* stock appearing,

Yep, neither was mine. :-)

> but it worked for
>close to ten years and i still have it in my basement(took it out when ijunked
>the car)....

I took mine out when I sold the car and put it in my truck then took
it out of my truck when I sold it and put it in the Jeep and then took
it out of the Jeep and.... still have it in my garage. If it'd fit
under the hood of my Civic then you get one guess where it would be
right now. ;-)

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.

"Clunk!" in Front End During Slow Turns Mike Becker Jeep 38 January 12th 05 11:36 PM
Slow hot Cranking Oliver Gunnell Audi 1 December 4th 04 07:19 PM
brakes responses very slow after letting the brake fluid come out mike113 Honda 4 November 2nd 04 11:08 AM
92 LT1 coupe, slow starting jameson Corvette 36 October 28th 04 10:14 PM