Recommended chemical stripper?

Old November 6th 04, 06:41 PM
Kidd Andersson

Default Recommended chemical stripper?

>Anyone have experience with these?
>
>--
>Michael Cecil

None of those, however when I had to strip the hood of the baja I went to
Wal-Mart and got the cheapest stripper they had. It worked great!I Put it in a
spray bottle and just sprayed the (removed) hood, made sure it covered the
whole thing and waited a few minutes. It bubbled and came off with a plastic
spatula super easy. Which was interesting considering there were like 4
different colors of paint that had made it onto the car over the years. Red,
purple, green and white. I dunno if I got lucky or not, but if the cheapo
works like the expensive stuff, why waste the money?

K. (Now everyone can yell at me)

"We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump
off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."
Old November 6th 04, 08:42 PM
Braukuche

>>Anyone have experience with these?
>>
>>--
>>Michael Cecil

Any stripper containing methyl chloride will work, but it is naqsty stuff. Make
sure you have plenty of air and wear gloves it will chem burn your skin. Also,
use a razor blade in a holder to strip of the softened paint. Works wonders.
--Dan E
Old November 6th 04, 08:46 PM
Jan Andersson

Braukuche wrote:

> >>Anyone have experience with these?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Michael Cecil

> Any stripper containing methyl chloride will work,

Nah, I don't date those.

Jan
Old November 6th 04, 11:58 PM
-=A=-

Wish I could use the stuff at home that we use at work.
I use a stripper that comes in a 55 gal drum, used through a pressure pump
spray onto airplanes.
That stuff will strip aircraft paint like it was water colors.
We spray it on, then wash it off with a pressure washer, plane is free of
paint

lot of prep work before that though taping and sealing holes and plastic,
and rubber
wich the stripper would eat up quick...

http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Old November 7th 04, 12:35 AM
jjs

"-=A=-" > wrote in message
om...
> Wish I could use the stuff at home that we use at work.
> I use a stripper that comes in a 55 gal drum, used through a pressure
> pump
> spray onto airplanes.

Any chance the paint used on airplanes is thinner, less hardened than the
stuff used on cars? Huuummm?

So-called "aircraft stripper" is history. The real stuff was two-part mixed
with acid just before use.

Old November 7th 04, 01:34 AM
Nate Nagel

Michael Cecil wrote:
> I was wondering what people think of various paint strippers. Is there
> one stand-out brand that is the most highly recommended?
>
> RemovAll 510 claims to work well and be non-toxic and biodegradable.
>
> Eastwood has their DeKote but it doesn't really say what is in it.
>
> Hirsch Automotive has their Miracle Paint Stripper/Remover but no info.
>
> There is something called Ready Strip which sounds good but mentions
> nothing about automotive paint.
>
> Anyone have experience with these?

My favorite is "aircraft stripper" from my FLAPS. It's a methylene
chloride based stripper so like most others use it outside so your lungs
don't fry.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old November 7th 04, 02:01 AM
jjs

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:35:40 -0600, "jjs" > wrote:

>>So-called "aircraft stripper" is history. The real stuff was two-part
>>mixed
>>with acid just before use.

> Acid? Or lye? While searching around I came across numerous instances of
> people using lye to remove paint.

Formic acid mixed with stripper. Very serious stuff.