Initial Impressions of the C5/C6

Old February 19th 07, 09:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Initial Impressions of the C5/C6

I used to own a vet, a 1979, which I sold quite a long time ago.
Summers coming and I find myself which some extra cash so I have been
looking in the paper for a late model corvette. I researched that a
new model came out in 2005 so I thought I would look around for a used
C6 rather then a C5. Looking at pictures from the Internet, I figured
the C5 and the C6 looked almost the same, except the C6 was a bit
shorter and had some trim differences. Boy was this wrong.

So I'm driving by the local GM dealership and see a C5 convertible on
the lot. Cool I'll go and have a look at it and maybe see a C6 as
well. So I parked and walked up to the C5 and all I could think this
is a stunningly nice looking car. I really like it. I decide to go in
and see if the have any C6's. As I'm walking to the dealership
building I see a couple of 2007 C6's under a tent. My first
impression, in all honesty, is they were still very nice looking but
relative to the C5 somewhat 'ordinary' looking.

So I've still got a line on a used 2006 C6 I'm going to look at,
technically it should be the better car, but does anyone here think
the C5 looks better than the C6? I'm probably going to have to see the
C6 from some different angles I think. The C5 model I saw really
impressed me at least in aesthetics. I want to test drive both of
course.

Old February 20th 07, 12:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
Snip
> So I'm driving by the local GM dealership and see a C5 convertible on
> the lot. Cool I'll go and have a look at it and maybe see a C6 as
> well. So I parked and walked up to the C5 and all I could think this
> is a stunningly nice looking car. I really like it. I decide to go in
> and see if the have any C6's. As I'm walking to the dealership
> building I see a couple of 2007 C6's under a tent. My first
> impression, in all honesty, is they were still very nice looking but
> relative to the C5 somewhat 'ordinary' looking.
>
> So I've still got a line on a used 2006 C6 I'm going to look at,
> technically it should be the better car, but does anyone here think
> the C5 looks better than the C6? I'm probably going to have to see the
> C6 from some different angles I think. The C5 model I saw really
> impressed me at least in aesthetics. I want to test drive both of
> course.

You pretty much got it right, if the C6 doesn't have an overriding appeal, save
your money. The C5 is a great machine and will do most everything the C6 will.
Sits and rides about the same with a bit more of a boot from the C6 which is
also much more quiet without the window leaks. The indexing of the door glass
keeps them sealed at any speed. The C6 is a slight improvement over the C5 but
not much. One down side to the C6 coupe is the smaller view out the back glass.
Almost forgot, the front license plate, if require, is dorky.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 20th 07, 01:34 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Feb 19, 5:33 pm, "Dad" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> Snip
>

> > So I'm driving by the local GM dealership and see a C5 convertible on
> > the lot. Cool I'll go and have a look at it and maybe see a C6 as
> > well. So I parked and walked up to the C5 and all I could think this
> > is a stunningly nice looking car. I really like it. I decide to go in
> > and see if the have any C6's. As I'm walking to the dealership
> > building I see a couple of 2007 C6's under a tent. My first
> > impression, in all honesty, is they were still very nice looking but
> > relative to the C5 somewhat 'ordinary' looking.

> > So I've still got a line on a used 2006 C6 I'm going to look at,
> > technically it should be the better car, but does anyone here think
> > the C5 looks better than the C6? I'm probably going to have to see the
> > C6 from some different angles I think. The C5 model I saw really
> > impressed me at least in aesthetics. I want to test drive both of
> > course.

> You pretty much got it right, if the C6 doesn't have an overriding appeal, save
> your money. The C5 is a great machine and will do most everything the C6 will.
> Sits and rides about the same with a bit more of a boot from the C6 which is
> also much more quiet without the window leaks. The indexing of the door glass
> keeps them sealed at any speed. The C6 is a slight improvement over the C5 but
> not much. One down side to the C6 coupe is the smaller view out the back glass.
> Almost forgot, the front license plate, if require, is dorky.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the response. This will give me something to think about
when I test drive. Fortunately a front license plate is not required
where I live.

I still really, really want to like the C6 and I'll give it's styling
another chance. But the feeling was very strange. I was genuinely
enamored of the 2001 C5 Silver convertible I saw, even covered with a
months worth of road salt. I knew for certain the C6 was even going to
be better; only to see how subdued the styling was on a shiny new 2007
C6 convertible. But I guess they wouldn't have done it if they didn't
think that's what people wanted to buy.

Old February 24th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> But I guess they wouldn't have done it if they didn't
> think that's what people wanted to buy.

ROFL!!! GM, think about what people want to buy? ROFL.

That is why GM is in such trouble. They are better, but they still haven't
eliminated the "We know what is good for you" mentality.

Old February 24th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
dave

'So I've still got a line on a used 2006 C6 I'm going to look at,
technically it should be the better car, but does anyone here think the
C5 looks better than the C6? '

REPLY: I personally think the C6 is a sharper looking Corvette with its
distinct lines. However i may be bias since i bought a 2006 last year at
this time. Ive been told numerous times that the C6 is quite a bit
above the C5's as far as quietness , performance, and reliability is
concerned. One thing i can definetly say , is, after approx. 6000
miles, the performance of my 2006 noticeably increased ; i guess it
just needed to get 'broken in' . If i were going to consider a C5, id
look at a Convertible 6 speed .

Old February 24th 07, 11:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> But I guess they wouldn't have done it if they didn't
>> think that's what people wanted to buy.
>>

> ROFL!!! GM, think about what people want to buy? ROFL.
>
> That is why GM is in such trouble. They are better, but they still haven't
> eliminated the "We know what is good for you" mentality.

Mentality??

Old March 15th 07, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom Scales

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I used to own a vet, a 1979, which I sold quite a long time ago.
> Summers coming and I find myself which some extra cash so I have been
> looking in the paper for a late model corvette. I researched that a
> new model came out in 2005 so I thought I would look around for a used
> C6 rather then a C5. Looking at pictures from the Internet, I figured
> the C5 and the C6 looked almost the same, except the C6 was a bit
> shorter and had some trim differences. Boy was this wrong.
>
> So I'm driving by the local GM dealership and see a C5 convertible on
> the lot. Cool I'll go and have a look at it and maybe see a C6 as
> well. So I parked and walked up to the C5 and all I could think this
> is a stunningly nice looking car. I really like it. I decide to go in
> and see if the have any C6's. As I'm walking to the dealership
> building I see a couple of 2007 C6's under a tent. My first
> impression, in all honesty, is they were still very nice looking but
> relative to the C5 somewhat 'ordinary' looking.
>
> So I've still got a line on a used 2006 C6 I'm going to look at,
> technically it should be the better car, but does anyone here think
> the C5 looks better than the C6? I'm probably going to have to see the
> C6 from some different angles I think. The C5 model I saw really
> impressed me at least in aesthetics. I want to test drive both of
> course.

I've owned both and like both. The C6 is evolutionary, not like the C4 to
C5. Much of the design carried over. The C6 is certainly more refined and
has many options that the C5 didn't have (power top and nav, for example),
but you won't be disappointed with a C5.

I happen to like the looks of the C6 quite a bit more.

The C5 had a lot more room, though. The C6 is a little cramped for my 6'2"
frame.

Tom

Old March 15th 07, 08:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Tom Scales wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I used to own a vet, a 1979, which I sold quite a long time ago.
>> Summers coming and I find myself which some extra cash so I have been
>> looking in the paper for a late model corvette. I researched that a
>> new model came out in 2005 so I thought I would look around for a used
>> C6 rather then a C5. Looking at pictures from the Internet, I figured
>> the C5 and the C6 looked almost the same, except the C6 was a bit
>> shorter and had some trim differences. Boy was this wrong.
>>
>> So I'm driving by the local GM dealership and see a C5 convertible on
>> the lot. Cool I'll go and have a look at it and maybe see a C6 as
>> well. So I parked and walked up to the C5 and all I could think this
>> is a stunningly nice looking car. I really like it. I decide to go in
>> and see if the have any C6's. As I'm walking to the dealership
>> building I see a couple of 2007 C6's under a tent. My first
>> impression, in all honesty, is they were still very nice looking but
>> relative to the C5 somewhat 'ordinary' looking.
>>
>> So I've still got a line on a used 2006 C6 I'm going to look at,
>> technically it should be the better car, but does anyone here think
>> the C5 looks better than the C6? I'm probably going to have to see the
>> C6 from some different angles I think. The C5 model I saw really
>> impressed me at least in aesthetics. I want to test drive both of
>> course.
>>

> I've owned both and like both. The C6 is evolutionary, not like the C4 to
> C5. Much of the design carried over. The C6 is certainly more refined and
> has many options that the C5 didn't have (power top and nav, for example),
> but you won't be disappointed with a C5.
>
> I happen to like the looks of the C6 quite a bit more.
>
> The C5 had a lot more room, though. The C6 is a little cramped for my 6'2"
> frame.
>
> Tom

At first it was difficult for my eye to accept the headlights. In some
paint colors, in the profile view, appeared to have niches cut from the
front fenders.

However, early this year I became accepting of the whole business. (Old
farts are slow to warm to anything new.) I've only driven the C6 once
and that was in daylight--agree, never got the seat set quite right (I'm
two inches shorter than Tom); however, when passing a C6 on the highway,
there's no doubt -- that guy has better lighting than do I.

--
PJ
Old March 16th 07, 02:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Jon[_6_]

As far as looks go I like the C5 better mainly because I can't stand the
headlights. The difference in performance/handling is not that great
except for the Z06- now that is one hell of a machine.

Old March 16th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Wolfman

The problem with GM is that they have no imagination when it comes to the
sale of performance cars..The original Z1 looked exactly like the regular
Vette. It was different and was wider but did NOT look any different to the
ordinary person.

And again they do not capitalize on the performance look bit. The C5..C6
look the same to me..I really still cant see the difference in appearance if
any.. To really sell these thing and make the owners proud to own one they
should look the performance part. THEY DON"T...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Ford brought out the Shelby line in the 1965 time frame and even now
they look different..THEY LOOK LIKE PERFORMANCE CARS..people can tell there
is a difference..

Bottom line ..GM sucks at marketing...look also at the failure of several of
their cars..Pontiac for one ..also too many others to mention. You might as
well go with a C5 for looks...for a real performance car get a Shelby GT