Sometimes Fate smiles

Old October 30th 04, 04:41 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Default Sometimes Fate smiles

.. . . and sometimes she doesn't.

In this case, she was in a good mood.

Re-charged the old e-can with new activated charcoal, re-mounted it with
new hoses. No problem, I now have the Wonderbus back to its original
1971 CA emissions setup. Hardly a job worth bragging about, but for me,
anything that I do that works first time around and doesn't draw blood
at least one time is something to feel good about. All I need to do now
is get a O2 sensor bunged in for stoich adjusting and she'll be tuned as
well as she can be for low emissions.

Also pulled the SVDA dizzie, and installed the Compufire points
replacement kit that I bought lo these many months ago from
aircooled.net and was GONNA install into the Wonderbus before the old
engine converted itself into scrap metal. Kit installed well, and
despite the fact that the rotor needs to be modified because it sits too
high after the magnet disc is installed, I managed to accomplish that
simple task too, without breaking anything, and ended up with a
still-running engine. Re-timed it and it all seems to be happy.

These are the good times. I need successes, even small ones, because
staring me in the face is pulling my 1984 Wasserboxer engine and
re-surfacing the corroded heads to stop the leaks. I am told that if
pulling a 1971 Type engine is a "5" on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of
difficulty (where a "1" is getting your socks on, and a "10" is
programming a VCR), that pulling a 1984 Vanagon engine is a 6.5 to a 7.
Hoses. Damn hoses. They are everywhere. AND there is this creepy toxic
"coolant" substance that I am told will drip and drool all over the place.

It could go well, or it could turn ugly. I still have pencils around the
house. No telling where one might end up. For you see, Fate could be
toying with me right now. She's like that.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old October 30th 04, 07:53 PM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott et> wrote:

>It could go well, or it could turn ugly. I still have pencils around the
>house. No telling where one might end up. For you see, Fate could be
>toying with me right now. She's like that.

For inspiration

I bought a 1992 Peugeot cheap from a friend in need of money about 6
months ago. I found the engine and the transmission had been dissassembled
and very porly reassembled.

The car now runs and drives, and I spent less than what I underpaid
for the car, but has costed me lots of busted fingers and months
of driving my wifes car...

One episode, the one where I found the camshaft pulley had been
hammered in instead of bolted on is he
http://e.nn.cl/Fotos/Autos/Casimiro/Timing

I am going to drive the car for the first time outside the subdivision I
live in tomorrow. Wish me luck...

--
Eduardo K. |
http://e.nn.cl | for nothing left to loose.

Old October 30th 04, 09:58 PM
Red Bug

In article >,
Eduardo K. > wrote:

> | Freedom's just another word
> | for nothing left to loose.

The word is "lose" people... not "loose"... the misspelling of "lose" is
becoming an epidemic in the last few years... Sigh!

Loose is what happens to your nuts and bolts when you forget to torque
them properly. After that, what was once just a loose bolt becomes a
bolt that you lose... Hope that clarifies it once and for all... but I
doubt it... ;-(

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old October 30th 04, 10:58 PM
Shaggie

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:58:00 GMT, Red Bug > wrote:

>In article >,
> Eduardo K. > wrote:
>
>> | Freedom's just another word
>> | for nothing left to loose.

>The word is "lose" people... not "loose"... the misspelling of "lose" is
>becoming an epidemic in the last few years... Sigh!
>
>Loose is what happens to your nuts and bolts when you forget to torque
>them properly. After that, what was once just a loose bolt becomes a
>bolt that you lose... Hope that clarifies it once and for all... but I
>doubt it... ;-(

Eye dew two. :-)

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.
Old October 30th 04, 11:53 PM
P.J.Berg

Shaggie wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:58:00 GMT, Red Bug > wrote:

>> The word is "lose" people... not "loose"... the misspelling of
>> "lose" is becoming an epidemic in the last few years... Sigh!
>>
>> Loose is what happens to your nuts and bolts when you forget to
>> torque them properly. After that, what was once just a loose bolt
>> becomes a bolt that you lose... Hope that clarifies it once and for
>> all... but I doubt it... ;-(

> Eye dew two. :-)

Ich been einer Hamburger to!

J. :O)

Old October 31st 04, 11:08 AM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
Red Bug > wrote:
>In article >,
> Eduardo K. > wrote:
>
>> | Freedom's just another word
>> | for nothing left to loose.

>The word is "lose" people... not "loose"... the misspelling of "lose" is
>becoming an epidemic in the last few years... Sigh!
>
>Loose is what happens to your nuts and bolts when you forget to torque
>them properly. After that, what was once just a loose bolt becomes a
>bolt that you lose... Hope that clarifies it once and for all... but I
>doubt it... ;-(

To me (non native english speaker) loose makes much more sense than lose

(well, english spelling makes no sense at all)

Will fix. Thanks.

--
Eduardo K. |
http://e.nn.cl | Linus Torvalds
Old October 31st 04, 02:05 PM
Braukuche

>Ich been einer Hamburger to!
>
>J. :O)

Actually, didn't he literally say "I am a donut."?
--Dan E
Old October 31st 04, 03:49 PM
Red Bug

In article >,
Eduardo K. > wrote:

> To me (non native english speaker) loose makes much more sense than lose
>
> (well, english spelling makes no sense at all)

This might help:

Goose, Noose, Loose, Moose, Papoose, Mongoose, Caboose...

and

Nose, Hose, Rose, Pose, Close, Impose

and then just a couple of words that I can think of that are pronounced
the other way...

Lose and Whose

....and that's just the way the English Language works unfortunately...

Oh, did I mention "Choose" and "Chose"? They're just to keep you on your
toes. Or should that be "tose"... no, in this case, it is "toes"...

Yes, it's a VERY tough language... It helps to grow up with it, that's
for sure.

--
___
Old October 31st 04, 05:38 PM
Kidd Andersson

> | Freedom's just another word

>>The word is "lose" people... not "loose"... the misspelling of "lose" is
>>becoming an epidemic in the last few years... Sigh!

HA! And you guys thought *I* was the only spelling Nazi! Though, don't forget
I'm also the grammar Nazi...

>the misspelling of "lose" is
>>becoming an epidemic in the last few years...

You can't use a present tense "is" when talking about the past "in the last few
years..."

That should be "the misspelling of "lose" has become an epidemic in the last
few years..."

Glad I could help!

K.
"We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump
off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."