Sometimes Fate smiles

Old November 1st 04, 01:28 AM
Bob Hoover

> In the last few years, the frequency of use of the word "loose" in posts
> on the internet when the writer obviously meant the word "lose" has
> steadily increased... almost to the level that it could be declared as
> an epidemic.

Although ignorance may be a traditional American disease there are
several instances on record of it being successfully treated and
cured. Fortunately, it is not contagious :-)
Old November 1st 04, 02:47 AM
Kidd Andersson

>You could never be a programmer... Those quotation marks...
>*shudder* :-)

No. I could never be a programmer.
Fortunately, the career my future holds only requires me to carry a gun and
enjoy the city's stupidity. Woot!

K.
"We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump
off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."
Old November 1st 04, 02:49 AM
MUADIB®

The misspelling of lose, is an epidemic lately
...................before, it was merely a sporadic ailment.

If it gets any worse it could become a extinction event.

Just my opinion.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old November 1st 04, 02:53 AM
Red Bug

In article >,
Eduardo K. > wrote:

> I would say language evolves, and if more people use 'loose' than
> 'lose' the spelling should be changed...

How ridiculous in this case however... What do we do with the other word
"loose" then? Change it to "luce"?

It's not analogous to dropping the "u" in words like "colour" or going
with a change in the order of letters such as replacing "centre" with
"center"... those changes may happen eventually...

You can't go replacing "lose" with "loose" when there is already a word
spelled that way that means something completely different! I suppose
since we have words like "booze", we could go with "looze"... ;-)

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old November 1st 04, 03:11 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: Red Bug

>You can't go replacing "lose" with "loose" when there is already a word
>spelled that way that means something completely different!

sure you can...haven't you ever taken a bow on the bow of a boat? maybe even
had your shoes tied in a bow at that time?
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 1st 04, 05:02 AM
Hairy

"Kidd Andersson" > wrote in message

> >My intention was to say it was getting close to epidemic levels, but not
> >there yet... hence my use of "is becoming"... Quite appropriate for what
> >I was trying to suggest.
> >

> Nope. "is becoming an epidemic in the last few years" still isn't

grammatically
> correct no matter what you mean or how you intended it. There are a

million
> ways to write it, correctly and incorrectly. No matter what you meant,

your
> tenses were still mismatched. Intentions only count when you act on them.

My grammar is certainly no better than average, but shouldn't "last" be
replaced with "past"? My high school English teacher would have said so.

Old November 1st 04, 05:37 AM
Charles Fregeau

"MUADIB®" > wrote in message
> The misspelling of lose, is an epidemic lately
> ..................before, it was merely a sporadic ailment.
>
> If it gets any worse it could become a extinction event.
>
> Just my opinion.
>

> Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
>
> MUADIB®
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html
>
> one small step for man,.....
> One giant leap for attorneys.

And I have hated the way the word key is used as a pseudo-verb. "This is
key" Pure BS. Key is a NOUN, and should have a definite article, e.g.
"This is the key...."

Next thing you know, they will do away with Fraktur (The German gothic-style
lettering that was used before the war) and the Ess-Sett (Looks sort of like
a capital B, but represents two letter s-es together) and even the umlaut
over the a, o and u.

Charles of Kankakee

Old November 1st 04, 08:53 AM
Jan

"P.J.Berg" wrote:

> Jan Andersson wrote:

> >> Nope. "is becoming an epidemic in the last few years" still isn't
> >> grammatically correct no matter what you mean or how you intended
> >> it. There are a million ways to write it, correctly and incorrectly.
> >> No matter what you meant, your tenses were still mismatched.
> >> Intentions only count when you act on them.
> >>
> >> Sig Heil!
> >>

> > You misspelled "sieg"
> >

> That was going to be my line!!

Oh I'm sorry I stole your moment of glory PJ, are you all upset now?
Do you need a hug?

Jan
Old November 1st 04, 08:55 AM
Jan

Red Bug wrote:
>I suppose since we have words like "booze", we could go with "looze"... ;-

Enough of the first would result in the latter

Jan
Old November 1st 04, 10:51 AM
Shaggie

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:37:25 -0600, "Charles Fregeau"
> wrote:

>"MUADIB®" > wrote in message
.. .
>> The misspelling of lose, is an epidemic lately
>> ..................before, it was merely a sporadic ailment.
>>
>> If it gets any worse it could become a extinction event.
>>
>> Just my opinion.
>>

>> Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
>>
>> MUADIB®
>>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html
>>
>> one small step for man,.....
>> One giant leap for attorneys.

>And I have hated the way the word key is used as a pseudo-verb. "This is
>key" Pure BS. Key is a NOUN, and should have a definite article, e.g.
>"This is the key...."

I'll bet you keyed in that post with conviction. :-)

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.