Black tape over VIN number

Old June 14th 05, 07:19 PM
Get Involved

Default Black tape over VIN number

Is it true that a key can be made just by giving VW the VIN number? The VIN
# is easily read through the drivers side windshield. I guess if its true,
then some black tape would prevent anyone from having a key made

Old June 14th 05, 07:59 PM
Nathan Lucas

think that's true, but you'd need to be able to prove that you own the car
too - log book and insurance certificate.

Old June 14th 05, 11:21 PM
CanadianCray

Just like any other dealer, before they will order or make you a key from
the VIN. They require proof of ownership aswell as a valid drivers lic. with
the same name as the ownership.