Help! TDI troubles

Old August 23rd 05, 02:52 PM
Dave

Default Help! TDI troubles

I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI. Lately it has been having some problems
which I tend to think are electrical. First, it has been bucking at
low RPM, usually when cruising less than 30 mph. If I accelerate a
little, or back off the throttle, it stops. I have measured the
resistances on the injector pump pins and they are within specs. I
cleaned the electrical contacts and it ran perfect for a day, then it
went back to the bucking thing it likes to do. The other problem was
with the speedometer. It started working part time and eventually, it
would only work if I was turning right. I pulled off the connector to
the sensor on the transmission and reseated it and it worked fine for
a couple days and when I drove it yesterday, it wasn't working at all.
Today it started out working then it quit again. Also, within the
last couple of days, it has had a harder time starting. Sometimes it
starts fine and other times, it will just turn over and the whole car
shakes. The I hit the key again and it will start. Has anyone had
any problems like this? Any suggestions? Oh yeah, when the
speedometer isn't working, the cruise control and door locks won't
automatically lock.

The fuel economy on this car is great however, I'm beginning to think
that all my fuel savings is going to end up being spent on repair
work.

I'll appreciate any input anyone can provide. Thanks.

Dave
Old August 23rd 05, 07:29 PM
Joseph Meehan

Dave wrote:
> I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI. Lately it has been having some problems
> which I tend to think are electrical. First, it has been bucking at
> low RPM, usually when cruising less than 30 mph. If I accelerate a
> little, or back off the throttle, it stops. I have measured the
> resistances on the injector pump pins and they are within specs. I
> cleaned the electrical contacts and it ran perfect for a day, then it
> went back to the bucking thing it likes to do. The other problem was
> with the speedometer. It started working part time and eventually, it
> would only work if I was turning right. I pulled off the connector to
> the sensor on the transmission and reseated it and it worked fine for
> a couple days and when I drove it yesterday, it wasn't working at all.
> Today it started out working then it quit again. Also, within the
> last couple of days, it has had a harder time starting. Sometimes it
> starts fine and other times, it will just turn over and the whole car
> shakes. The I hit the key again and it will start. Has anyone had
> any problems like this? Any suggestions? Oh yeah, when the
> speedometer isn't working, the cruise control and door locks won't
> automatically lock.
>
> The fuel economy on this car is great however, I'm beginning to think
> that all my fuel savings is going to end up being spent on repair
> work.
>
> I'll appreciate any input anyone can provide. Thanks.
>
> Dave

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

The speed sensor or the conector/wire appears to be bad. I would price
the sensor and then decide if I wanted to replace it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old August 24th 05, 09:31 PM
Dave

Thanks for the input. I changed the sensor today and it still doesn't
work. I was hoping that would cure it since it was only $23. It's
been a while since I replace the fuel filter so I'll give that a try.
I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.
Dave

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:29:41 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Old August 25th 05, 03:32 AM
Wake

Dave wrote:

> I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI. Lately it has been having some problems
> which I tend to think are electrical. First, it has been bucking at

Could this be the "Relay 107" problem? Or maybe a weak battery? Check
http://www.tdiclub.com/ for lots of good info on known TDI problems.

--
Wake
Old August 30th 05, 06:13 PM
Jo Bo

Actually it's "relay 109" that had the problem. When mine went out it
bucked once or twice but all electrical accessories like radio, heater
blower and tac went off also went off.

JoBo

Old August 30th 05, 06:52 PM
Dave

I think I have it all figured out. The speed sensor was the cause of
all the problems. I finally have it working and all the other
symptoms went away (at least for today anyway). I'll drive it around
for the next couple of days to see if it stays fixed. Thanks for
everyone's input.
Dave