93 YJ rear end

Old March 22nd 05, 11:52 PM
jaco

Default 93 YJ rear end

I wish to put 31" tires on my 93 YJ, the tag on the 35C rear differential
has the following:
52068008
3 07 5502-1
I was told that this means that the gearing is a 3:07 ratio and is not
sufficient for turning 31's.

Is this true?
Is there a place to get more info on differentials and gearing ratios?
(Bill?)

thanks

Old March 23rd 05, 12:16 AM
Dan

I ran 31" on 3.07 for quite a while. Worked alright, just used 5th gear
a little less often.

-Dan

Old March 23rd 05, 12:30 AM
Mike Romain

I am running 33's on 3.31's and it is doable. You just need to forget
about 5th or overdrive. It still works, but the gas mileage will suck
because the engine lugs.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 23rd 05, 12:44 AM
SoK66

"jaco" > wrote in message
>I wish to put 31" tires on my 93 YJ, the tag on the 35C rear differential
>has the following:
> 52068008
> 3 07 5502-1
> I was told that this means that the gearing is a 3:07 ratio and is not
> sufficient for turning 31's.
>
> Is this true?
> Is there a place to get more info on differentials and gearing ratios?
> (Bill?)
>
> thanks

Most manual trans 4.0L YJs came with 3.07s. The only exceptions were those
with Trac-Lok limited slips, which were 3.55s. Automatic 4.0Ls were 3.73s.

You can run 31s with 3.07 gears, but you'll feel a loss of torque and will
use rarely use 5th gear. Also, 31s will rub unless you install a mild lift
of some sort.

Old March 23rd 05, 03:49 AM
jaco

Automatic - no 5th. Gas mileage! I'm running reformulated gas here in
Milwaukee and am lucky if I get 14 mpg's the way it is, will higher gears
offer better gas mileage?
thanks
jaco

Old March 23rd 05, 03:52 AM
jaco

I do want to add a locker of some type - this is a daily driver (90%) but
when I go off-road I would prefer having the confidence of a tight rear end.

I've spoke with 2 shops and they both are recommending higher gears and
posi-trac for about $2,000 - does this sound reasonable?

thanks
jaco

Old March 23rd 05, 04:24 AM
SoK66

"jaco" > wrote in message
>I do want to add a locker of some type - this is a daily driver (90%) but
>when I go off-road I would prefer having the confidence of a tight rear
>end.
>
> I've spoke with 2 shops and they both are recommending higher gears and
> posi-trac for about $2,000 - does this sound reasonable?

It depends. For my money I wouldn't spend a nickel on a Dana 35 rear end.
Money is much better spent on a salvaged TJ D44, which you can easily adapt
by cutting off the spring buckets & trailing arm tabs & installing spring
pads for the YJs leaf springs. Add gears & a locker and you're rear end
hassles are over up to 35" tires.

If you must keep the D35, look into one of the Super 35 kits. These have
Detroit Lockers which can be a handful if you're planning it to be primarily
a street vehicle.

Old March 24th 05, 12:01 AM
jaco

I have very limited knowledge of rear ends,,,,,
So you're saying that the 35 even geared up may not be sufficient,,, is the
difference between a 35 and 44 axle diameter?

thanks again
jaco

Old March 24th 05, 12:55 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 25th 05, 12:00 AM
jaco

So what you're trying to tell me Bill is that I REALLY should upgrade to the
thanks for the tip ;-)