It's ALIVE!

Old January 24th 17, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default It's ALIVE!

I'm amazed! I mail ordered a new battery for the 1992 Mazda Miata
knowing it would be almost impossible for me to install with arthritis
making both hands pretty non-functional but... no problem!
Fortunately, it's a small battery and not very heavy.

All went smoothly and I even had my letter carrier come by and offer
encouragement.

The car started right up, now to wash it, get it emission tested and
registered.

It's sitting on the charger right now, getting up to 100% charge.

FWIW, BatteryMart.com had it for 99.95 and free shipping.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-maz...a-battery.html

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 26th 17, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Robert Klemme

On 24.01.2017 21:06, XS11E wrote:

> I'm amazed! I mail ordered a new battery for the 1992 Mazda Miata
> knowing it would be almost impossible for me to install with arthritis
> making both hands pretty non-functional but... no problem!
> Fortunately, it's a small battery and not very heavy.
>
> All went smoothly and I even had my letter carrier come by and offer
> encouragement.
>
> The car started right up, now to wash it, get it emission tested and
> registered.

Sounds like a proper resurrection. Congratulations!

robert
Old January 26th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Robert Klemme > wrote:

> On 24.01.2017 21:06, XS11E wrote:
>>
>> I'm amazed! I mail ordered a new battery for the 1992 Mazda
>> Miata knowing it would be almost impossible for me to install
>> with arthritis making both hands pretty non-functional but... no
>> problem! Fortunately, it's a small battery and not very heavy.
>>
>> All went smoothly and I even had my letter carrier come by and
>> offer encouragement.
>>
>> The car started right up, now to wash it, get it emission tested
>> and registered.

> Sounds like a proper resurrection. Congratulations!

Not that straight forward, when I went drive it I found a water leak,
turns out the upper thermostat housing had developed a hole. Replaced
it and now have a new leak, possibly the lower thermostat housing.

"It's always something"

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 28th 17, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:31:51 -0700, XS11E wrote:

> Robert Klemme > wrote:
>
>> On 24.01.2017 21:06, XS11E wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm amazed! I mail ordered a new battery for the 1992 Mazda Miata
>>> knowing it would be almost impossible for me to install with arthritis
>>> making both hands pretty non-functional but... no problem!
>>> Fortunately, it's a small battery and not very heavy.
>>>
>>> All went smoothly and I even had my letter carrier come by and offer
>>> encouragement.
>>>
>>> The car started right up, now to wash it, get it emission tested and
>>> registered.

>> Sounds like a proper resurrection. Congratulations!

> Not that straight forward, when I went drive it I found a water leak,
> turns out the upper thermostat housing had developed a hole. Replaced
> it and now have a new leak, possibly the lower thermostat housing.
>
> "It's always something"

It can't be that you misidentified the original leak?

Leon
Old January 28th 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen > wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:31:51 -0700, XS11E wrote:
>
>> Robert Klemme > wrote:

>>> Sounds like a proper resurrection. Congratulations!

>> Not that straight forward, when I went drive it I found a water
>> leak, turns out the upper thermostat housing had developed a
>> hole. Replaced it and now have a new leak, possibly the lower
>> thermostat housing.
>>
>> "It's always something"

> It can't be that you misidentified the original leak?

No, there was a 1/4" hole in the upper thermostat housing right at the
end of the upper radiator hose.

What I did wrong was not looking at the lower thermostat housing but
the thermostat was stuck solidly and I couldn't remove it w/o damaging
it so I left it in place and wasn't able to see the lower housing.

When I put it back together I ran the car for some time and it wasn't
leaking, I suspect the lower housing had a spot almost eaten through
and as the car came up to temperature (and pressure) it let go and
began leaking. I drove it some distance before the leak began.

The connector for the two small hoses is intact, I'll know more when I
get it apart again, I'm still recovering from the damage I did to my
arthritic back, hands, shoulders, etc. with the first go-round, I'm
still too sore to get at it today.

The Usenet Improvement Project:

OT (or not!): It's alive! Alan Baker Driving 0 December 12th 12 05:13 AM
Alive and well? John J Stafford[_2_] VW air cooled 19 November 28th 11 03:01 AM
Dead or Alive????? LG VW water cooled 5 January 23rd 10 01:14 AM
Ramva is alive again! Jan Andersson[_4_] VW air cooled 37 August 11th 09 12:58 AM
She is lucky to be alive Skip Elliott Bowman Driving 7 March 30th 05 02:22 AM