broken air filter housing

Old March 1st 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default broken air filter housing

Hi all,

I tried to fix a tear in my air filter housing, but instead fixing it,
I accidentally made it bigger. So I put it back in the car and put the
tear together. Is this dangerous to the engine?

I'll look for its replacement in the wreckers this weekend, but if
can't find the replacement, I hope it's ok.

My bimmer is 1990 318i and sorry if the explanation isn't good enough.
English isn't my native.

Thanks.

Old March 1st 06, 03:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Cheepy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to fix a tear in my air filter housing, but instead fixing it,
> I accidentally made it bigger. So I put it back in the car and put the
> tear together. Is this dangerous to the engine?
>
> I'll look for its replacement in the wreckers this weekend, but if
> can't find the replacement, I hope it's ok.
>
> My bimmer is 1990 318i and sorry if the explanation isn't good enough.
> English isn't my native.
>
> Thanks.

It depends on where the breach is. If it is in the unfilered half of
the airbox, then no, it will not make a big difference. But if the hole
is located after where the air passes through the filter then, yes it is
potentially hazardous to your engine to suck in unfiltered air over a
long time period. It should be OK for a couple of days either way. JUst
stay out of any dust storms... ;-)

--
-Fred W
Old March 1st 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> Cheepy wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to fix a tear in my air filter housing, but instead fixing it,
>> I accidentally made it bigger. So I put it back in the car and put the
>> tear together. Is this dangerous to the engine?
>>
>> I'll look for its replacement in the wreckers this weekend, but if
>> can't find the replacement, I hope it's ok.
>>
>> My bimmer is 1990 318i and sorry if the explanation isn't good enough.
>> English isn't my native.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> It depends on where the breach is. If it is in the unfilered half of the
> airbox, then no, it will not make a big difference. But if the hole is
> located after where the air passes through the filter then, yes it is
> potentially hazardous to your engine to suck in unfiltered air over a long
> time period. It should be OK for a couple of days either way. JUst stay
> out of any dust storms... ;-)

And er try closing the gap with gaffer tape or similar.

Old March 1st 06, 11:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks for the replies guys... And I'll close the gap with something...