Micro relay and courtesy lights on Corvette

Old August 31st 04, 03:56 PM
swede

Default Micro relay and courtesy lights on Corvette

Hello all-

I'm searching for the fuse or relay that controls the power to the courtesy
lights on my '01 Vette. I beleive that the courtesy lights a the
underhood light,the glove box light the reading lights on the inside rear
view mirror and the vanity lights on the mirror on the Sun visor, all of
which are not working on my car. All other lights and functions are working
properly.

I've located both the fuse boxes and have checked many of the fuses and it
appears that the lights I'm looking for are the courtesy lights judging from
the discription on the car's owner's manual. They have a Micro Relay and
not a fuse for their power.

Does the relay have to be replaced? Can it be reset?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Swede

Old August 31st 04, 08:49 PM
Dad

Give me about 7 hours and I'll look it up, right now I'm in the middle of
setting up the car for autocross this weekend.
--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 31st 04, 08:49 PM
Dad

Old September 1st 04, 02:52 AM
Dick C

swede wrote in alt.autos

> Hello all-
>
> I'm searching for the fuse or relay that controls the power to the
> courtesy lights on my '01 Vette. I beleive that the courtesy lights a
> the underhood light,the glove box light the reading lights on the inside
> rear view mirror and the vanity lights on the mirror on the Sun visor,
> all of which are not working on my car. All other lights and functions
> are working properly.
>
> I've located both the fuse boxes and have checked many of the fuses and
> it appears that the lights I'm looking for are the courtesy lights
> judging from the discription on the car's owner's manual. They have a
> Micro Relay and not a fuse for their power.
>
> Does the relay have to be replaced? Can it be reset?

By definition, a fuse is a piece of wire designed to melt when
the heat from an over current condition occurs. A relay is
a device that uses a magnetic coil to activate contacts. Mini
simply means small. So, strictly speaking, I would expect that
there would be a fuse controlling both.
However, given the manufacturers penchant for giving strange
and fancy names to various common items, it would not surprise
me if the "mini relay" is a breaker. You may need to reset or
replace it. Locate it, and see if it has a button on it, of if
it actually works like a relay or not.

--
Dick #1349
~Benjamin Franklin

Home Page: dickcr.iwarp.com
email:
Old September 1st 04, 02:52 AM
Dick C

swede wrote in alt.autos

Old September 1st 04, 05:12 AM
Dad

> "swede" > wrote in message
>> Hello all-
>>
>> I'm searching for the fuse or relay that controls the power to the
>> courtesy
>> lights on my '01 Vette. I beleive that the courtesy lights a the
>> underhood light, (Minifuse #2 Miro relay #37) the glove box light
>> (Minifuse #29 Miro relay #42 Minifuse #2 Miro relay #37) the reading
>> lights on the inside rear
>> view mirror and the vanity lights (Minifuse #2 Miro relay #37)on the
>> mirror on the Sun visor (Minifuse #2 Miro relay #37), all of
>> which are not working on my car. All other lights and functions are
>> working
>> properly.

What a nightmare, looks like #2 and #37 shows up on most of them, plus you
need to check the ground.

Good luck,
--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old September 1st 04, 05:12 AM
Dad

Old September 2nd 04, 12:52 AM
swede

in article , Dick C at
wrote on 8/31/04 8:52 PM:

> swede wrote in alt.autos
>
>> Hello all-
>>
>> I'm searching for the fuse or relay that controls the power to the
>> courtesy lights on my '01 Vette. I beleive that the courtesy lights a
>> the underhood light,the glove box light the reading lights on the inside
>> rear view mirror and the vanity lights on the mirror on the Sun visor,
>> all of which are not working on my car. All other lights and functions
>> are working properly.
>>
>> I've located both the fuse boxes and have checked many of the fuses and
>> it appears that the lights I'm looking for are the courtesy lights
>> judging from the discription on the car's owner's manual. They have a
>> Micro Relay and not a fuse for their power.
>>
>> Does the relay have to be replaced? Can it be reset?

> By definition, a fuse is a piece of wire designed to melt when
> the heat from an over current condition occurs. A relay is
> a device that uses a magnetic coil to activate contacts. Mini
> simply means small. So, strictly speaking, I would expect that
> there would be a fuse controlling both.
> However, given the manufacturers penchant for giving strange
> and fancy names to various common items, it would not surprise
> me if the "mini relay" is a breaker. You may need to reset or
> replace it. Locate it, and see if it has a button on it, of if
> it actually works like a relay or not.

Thanks Dick C. and Dad-

Mini fuse #2 was blown. In the manual, they list the usage of fuse #2 as
'Monitored(Inavertent)Load Control'. A 'strange and fancy name' indeed! Who
would have known!!??

Thanks again, Dad for looking it up wherever you looked it up. They had me
fooled! Everything works now.

Swede

Old September 2nd 04, 12:52 AM
swede