HDTV gaming

Old December 11th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave[_3_]

Default HDTV gaming

In article >, "Larry" > wrote:
>That's one of the LCOS rear-projections, right?
>
>Just wanted to clarify. It's a different technology than what people
>typically think of when they hear "LCD". It's not actually an LCD screen.
>
>I hear they are pretty good.

Referring to the Panasonic? Panasonic doesn't make LCOS (Liquid
Crystal On Silicon). They make DLP, LCD and Plasma. LCOS makers
include Sony, JVC (and Syntax-Brilian?). It is reflective vs LCD's
transmissive. One of the resulting benefits is potential for darker
darks. Sony's SXRD (their trade term for LCOS) line get very high
ratings. Caveat: do a search on "green blob".

Best bet is to go and look at the pictures for yourself, but even
then be skeptical as a lot depends on how the TV's are set up in the
showroom. Me, I find that the rear-projections look more film-like
in nature. Whereas the direct-view flat panel LCD's and plasmas
look a lot punchier and more TV-like, especially the latter as they
also use phosphors. So, it in part depends on what you prefer in a
picture.

Very confusing, I know.
Old December 11th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

What confused me is he mentioned the lamp is replaceable. That is very
unusual for a true LCD type display panel.

It would be the first I've heard of in many years.

-Larry

Old December 12th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lancelot

Yes it is an LCD rear Projection. Has 1 lamp that is consumer replaceable.
Here is a link on it:
http://products.howstuffworks.com/pa...-tv-review.htm

I have had it over a year and with the Comcast HD/DVR box, it has a
tremendous picture. I saw this along side Samsung and Sony DLP's of the day,
and this picture was clearly the best. Money was no object at the time. I
merely wanted what looked the best and brightest. As stated earlier, all the
plasmas had glare in the showrooms due to their glass screens and that
concerned me.

news

Old December 12th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Ok, so I was right afterall

-Larry

Old December 12th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lancelot

If you want to have some real fun with this set, split the screen and run
GPL Monaco on 1 half while watching Monaco live on the other. Brilliant!

"Larry" > wrote in message
> Ok, so I was right afterall
>
> -Larry
>
> "Lancelot" > wrote in message
>> Yes it is an LCD rear Projection. Has 1 lamp that is consumer
>> replaceable. Here is a link on it:
>> http://products.howstuffworks.com/pa...-tv-review.htm
>>
>> I have had it over a year and with the Comcast HD/DVR box, it has a
>> tremendous picture. I saw this along side Samsung and Sony DLP's of the
>> day, and this picture was clearly the best. Money was no object at the
>> time. I merely wanted what looked the best and brightest. As stated
>> earlier, all the plasmas had glare in the showrooms due to their glass
>> screens and that concerned me.
>>

>> "Larry" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> That's one of the LCOS rear-projections, right?
>>>
>>> Just wanted to clarify. It's a different technology than what people
>>> typically think of when they hear "LCD". It's not actually an LCD
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> I hear they are pretty good.
>>>
>>> -Larry
>>>
>>> "Lancelot" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

THIS IS SO REAL PEOPLE! NEED MONEY FOR MY GAMING ADDICTION! Marcus Chrysler 0 October 17th 06 11:04 PM
MHO GAMING Gary Kendall Simulators 2 May 9th 06 05:22 AM
Larger screen gaming?? Destroy Simulators 21 June 3rd 05 11:26 PM
Heat Issues while gaming Dave Henrie Simulators 8 November 12th 04 03:24 PM
Personal Motion Bases for Flight or Gaming Simulation WillyB4120 Simulators 0 October 22nd 04 04:53 AM