Another recall - fire risk

Old June 18th 05, 05:24 PM
D.D. Palmer

So does my 2003 Mountaineer Premier (V8 AWD) have that? And does that mean
it would NOT have the offending, fire causing, switch?

oups.com...

Old June 20th 05, 01:39 PM
C. E. White

"D.D. Palmer" wrote:

> Vega, Pinto and Volare' were junk in 3 years.

My family owned two Pintos. I can assure they were not junk
in three years. I bought one new in 1972, drove it through
three years of college, autocrossed it a dozen times a year,
camped in it, drove across country in it, etc. After three
years I sold it ot my sister, who drove it to college for
another 3 years. I then bought it back, drove it back and
forth to work for a year before selling it to another
college student. In all that time it needed one reapir - a
new starter. And it only needed that becasue I bought gas at
a self service stationa and got 50% water. I burned the
starter up becasue everytime I when up a hill, I'd get more
water in the fuel system and have to repeatedly crank the
car to get it going. (I finally had to remove the tank and
clean out all the water). The other Pinto was driven my my
older sister for 7 years. When she bought a new car, I sold
it to a friend. His three children used the car one after
another for another 8 years. Then he sold it - still
running. I think he had to repalce one roacker arm in the
time he owned it. So don't tell me Pinto were junk after
three years. It just isn't so.

I don't have any personal experiences with Vegas or Volarie,
except I never lost to a Vega in an autocross (or a Toyota
either for that matter).

Ed
Old June 20th 05, 02:29 PM
D.D. Palmer

I'm glad you lived (thru Pinto) to tell ths story.

Old June 20th 05, 03:31 PM
C. E. White

"D.D. Palmer" wrote:

> I'm glad you lived (thru Pinto) to tell ths story.

Depsite all the legends, Pinto's were not particualrly fire
prone. As far as bursting in to flame on impact, early
Chevettes were much worse, but they rarely get mentioned in
the press. I never could figure this out. As far as driver
death rates, any of the competitive Japanese cars from that
era were worse, but the press never mentions that - I wonder
why? Or the VW Bettle - now there was a rolling death trap.
I saw a guy roll one of those in flat parking lot once. Of
course we just rolled it back over and he drove it home,
just a little worse for the wear. My Sister had a 80 Accord
(replaced the Pinto). When it was 6 years old she was hit by
a Mustang that ran a stop sign. The Mustang drove away, the
Accord was a total loss (my Sister was not injured). Her old
Pinto was still doing fine when the car that replaced the
Accord was junk (a 1986 Jetta).

The only real complinat I had against my Pinto was a lack of
power. Despite having the 2L OHC Four instead of the 1.6L
OHV Four, I was still non competitive with many other cars
in my class at any autocross that had high speed sections.
If you kept the speeds down, I could do OK against most cars
in my class. I always had much better luck autocrossing my
Pinto than my Datsun 280Z or my Jensen-Healey. The Datsun
was particularly bad. I suppose my best luck was with an
Austin-Healey Sprite, but it suffered from a lack of power
(I only ran stock classes). For shear tire smoking fun, my
1978 V-8 Fairmont was a trip (even though it was mostly
non-competitive - too nose heavy).

Regards,

Ed White