vacuum leak

Old September 27th 11, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_3_]

Default vacuum leak

1992 Plymouth - There's a vacuum leak in my brake pedal, which I can
hear when I push hard on it. Is it likely to be just a gasket or hose,
or something expensive? The car is old so I might junk it, but I want
to get an idea of how much this should cost.

Thanks.

zero, and remove the last word.

Old September 27th 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> 1992 Plymouth - There's a vacuum leak in my brake pedal, which I can
> hear when I push hard on it. Is it likely to be just a gasket or hose,
> or something expensive? The car is old so I might junk it, but I want
> to get an idea of how much this should cost.
>
> Thanks.

If you hear the leak when you HOLD the pedal down then it is the vacuum
booster.
However if you only hear a whoosh sound when you step down on the pedal
fast then that is just the air inlet and isn't a problem.

Depending on model/engine the boosters can run from 20 - 200 bucks.
Labor all depends on the same.
--
Steve W.
Old September 28th 11, 11:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Sep 27, 4:04*pm, "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:
> 1992 Plymouth - There's a vacuum leak in my brake pedal, which I can
> hear when I push hard on it. *Is it likely to be just a gasket or hose,
> or something expensive? *The car is old so I might junk it, but I want
> to get an idea of how much this should cost.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
> zero, and remove the last word.

could also be a bad check valve on the booster, or a leaky hose.
Old September 30th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Sep 28, 6:30*am, m6onz5a > wrote:
> On Sep 27, 4:04*pm, "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:
>
> > 1992 Plymouth - There's a vacuum leak in my brake pedal, which I can
> > hear when I push hard on it. *Is it likely to be just a gasket or hose,
> > or something expensive? *The car is old so I might junk it, but I want
> > to get an idea of how much this should cost.

> > Thanks.

> > --
> > Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
> > zero, and remove the last word.

> could also be a bad check valve on the booster, or a leaky hose.

leaky hose would hiss all the time, wouldn't it?

My money is on booster or check valve.

nate