O.T slightly. Vacuum leak on engine

Old April 19th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default O.T slightly. Vacuum leak on engine

I was just wondering if someone happens to what or how to go about finding a
vacuum leak on an engine? I remember being told once that you spray
something (not sure if it was quick start or something else) and when the
rpm increases (or decrease depending on what's used) your at least in the
correct area. anyone here ever heard or done something like this???

If it matters its on an '87 Olds 307.

Snow...

Old April 20th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yeah I know ether will go boom, that's why I said its something that's
sprayed. ...lol, isn't card cleaner explosive too??? or has it got a higher
flash point?.

Snow...

Old April 20th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Kinda a tossup. one is fairly pure ether and the other is a mix of kerosene
like stuff, Xylene, and Acetone.

The petroleum distillates probably make the carb cleaner safer as the like
to smoke rather than flash.

Have you see the new label for STP Cleaners.

"Now with Jet Fuel"!

Why no just label it that they are selling 12 ounces of kerosene for $3.49

.. .

Old April 20th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

billy ray did pass the time by typing:
> Kinda a tossup. one is fairly pure ether and the other is a mix of kerosene
> like stuff, Xylene, and Acetone.
>
> The petroleum distillates probably make the carb cleaner safer as the like
> to smoke rather than flash.
>

> Have you see the new label for STP Cleaners.
>
> "Now with Jet Fuel"!
>
> Why no just label it that they are selling 12 ounces of kerosene for $3.49

Don't forget, it does come with that spiffy red straw.

--
DougW

Old April 20th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

well after spending the night at work google'n I found a couple choices on
what to spray, it seems some people use carb cleaner, ether, propane and the
least volatile one I saw WD-40. so looks like I'll try out the WD-40 and
see what it does.

Snow...

.. .

Old April 20th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Snow" > wrote in
:

> well after spending the night at work google'n I found a couple
> choices on what to spray, it seems some people use carb cleaner,
> ether, propane and the least volatile one I saw WD-40. so looks
> like I'll try out the WD-40 and see what it does.

Almost anything will work as the engine will speed up or slow down when
the spray hits the leak, in the shop we sprayed whatever was handy but
one thing not mentioned that works very well and is perfectly safe is
plain old water in a spray bottle.