HDTV gaming

Old November 27th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

Default HDTV gaming

I'm planning on buying a 1080p HDTV set and i was wondering if games like
GTR2 and rFactor support 1920 x 1080 resolutions. Also, i'm hesitating
between DLP and flat panel LCD. Which technology would be better suited for
gaming?

Old November 27th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Emma Ward

"Bob Loblaw" > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm planning on buying a 1080p HDTV set and i was wondering if games like
> GTR2 and rFactor support 1920 x 1080 resolutions. Also, i'm hesitating
> between DLP and flat panel LCD. Which technology would be better suited
> for gaming?

I use a HD-TV LCD 37" screen, it has a VGA & DVI input..
I play using 1280x768 as this is correct for the screen size... and man does
it look good!

Old November 27th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I don't know the difference between DLP and LCD for gaming, but I have a DLP
(Samsung HLP-5085, aka the "Captn' Kirk" model) and it's been great for 2
years now.

-Larry

.. .

Old November 27th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
L.K. Duh

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:31:52 -0500,
Larry wrote:

> I don't know the difference between DLP and LCD for gaming, but I have a DLP
> (Samsung HLP-5085, aka the "Captn' Kirk" model) and it's been great for 2
> years now.
>
> -Larry
>
> "Bob Loblaw" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> [5 quoted lines suppressed]

dlp is better fer gaming cause u
wont get any burn in.
Old November 28th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RAID!!!

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:09:59 -0800, L.K. Duh wrote:

> dlp is better fer gaming cause u
> wont get any burn in.

DLP has better contrast ratio too but how is it for resposne time? I've
noticed DLP screen isn't as bright as LCD though.
Old November 28th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I don't think there is such a thing as response time on a DLP.

It's in the mirrors

Most DLP's are 1280X720 resolution. These are the 1080i units. I think the
new 1080p units are 1920X1024.

That may also weigh in on your decision. You'll need a pretty hefty
graphics card to drive 1920X1024 pixels.

Brightness is of ZERO concern with DLP. At least with mine it isn't. It's
just fine in the middle of the day.

This is one of those things you really need to do some legwork at the local
stores and see what you like.

There is an issue with about 1% of the population. Their brains are wired a
bit differently and they see 'rainbows' on DLP screens. I don't have the
problem. Never met anyone that did. But, it does exist so you need to
check it out. You can't fix your Brain after the purchase

From what I understand, you either have it or you don't. No need to look at
a bunch of DLP's to see if it is an issue for you. If you have it on one,
you'll have it on all of them and vice versa.

I think it has something to do with the rotational frequency of the color
wheel's.

-Larry

Old November 28th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RAID!!!

http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv/dlptelevision.html
Old November 28th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RAID!!!

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:55:12 -0500, Larry wrote:

> I don't think there is such a thing as response time on a DLP.

You sure? The picture source on DLP is LCD.
Old November 29th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

> You sure? The picture source on DLP is LCD.
???
The picture source? On DLP the picture is created from light reflected off
mirrors, there is no LCD inside DLP.
http://www.dlp.com/

Old November 29th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I don't agree with a lot in the comparisions, and find it technically weak.
But it's a good start.

I spent the better part of 4 months looking at every technology in person,
in various stores, before I purchased. I went with DLP because:

1. There is no issue with burn-in.
2. The picture is simply gorgeous.
3. There is no backlight to worry about. Yes, the lamp has to be replaced
every 5000 to 8000 hours, but it is a REPLACEABLE part. Try getting an LCD
backlight replaced. In my work, I have to have several hundred Laptops
repaired a year due to bad backlights (they are a relatively high-failure
item). Every one has required LCD replacement at a very high cost.
4. I liked the built-in stand design of the Samsung HLP-5085.

Most HDTV's have to do image conversion. However, the writer of the article
seemed to only point to DLP as needing this. That is incorrect.

Don't get me wrong. I like LCD's. I have FIVE of them around me in my
office as I type this, including a 19" widescreen sony up on the wall
playing "House".

After much research and personal visits to see them, I just prefer DLP for
my living room.

-Larry

"RAID!!!" > wrote in message
.. .
> http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv/dlptelevision.html

THIS IS SO REAL PEOPLE! NEED MONEY FOR MY GAMING ADDICTION! Marcus Chrysler 0 October 17th 06 11:04 PM
MHO GAMING Gary Kendall Simulators 2 May 9th 06 05:22 AM
Larger screen gaming?? Destroy Simulators 21 June 3rd 05 11:26 PM
Heat Issues while gaming Dave Henrie Simulators 8 November 12th 04 03:24 PM
Personal Motion Bases for Flight or Gaming Simulation WillyB4120 Simulators 0 October 22nd 04 04:53 AM