Trespassing in neighbor's driveway

Old May 1st 07, 04:04 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
BTR1701

Default Trespassing in neighbor's driveway

In article >,
"¥ UltraMan ¥" > wrote:

> sinister wrote:
> > Because of the layout of our street, I often turn my car around using
> > the neighbor's driveway.

> Trespassing.
>

> > The neighbor apparently isn't happy with this. Instead of politely
> > expressing her desire I not use her driveway to turn my car around, he
> > behaved in an extremely uncivil fashion.

> You are trespassing.
>

> > Which raises the following question: does a homeowner have a right
> > not to allow you to pull into their driveway with the purpose of
> > turning around?

> Just how pig-ignorant are you?

Apparently no more ignorant than you. You can't say for sure whether
this is trespassing or not because in many jurisdictions, the property
lines only extend to the public-right-of-way (i.e. the sidewalk). The
two or three feet between the sidewalk and the street is public
property, just as the street itself is public property. And if this guy
isn't crossing over the sidewalk, then his actions *aren't* trespassing.

Without knowing for sure the laws and particulars in effect where he
lives, your bald-faced declaration that his actions are trespassing are
nothing but your own ill-informed opinion.
Old May 1st 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
BTR1701

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> > Which raises the following question: does a homeowner have a right not to

> allow you to pull into their driveway with the purpose of turning
> around?
>
> It's interesting how people seem to think they are somehow entitled to
> other people's property. I recently had some issues with neighbors
> thinking they could park in my driveway at will to make access to
> their cars more convient, even if this made access to our cars on our
> land next to impossible. The problem has since been handled, but the

That is indeed pretty arrogant behavior.
Old May 1st 07, 05:26 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
¥ UltraMan ¥

BTR1701 wrote:
> In article >,
> "¥ UltraMan ¥" > wrote:
>
>> sinister wrote:
>>> Because of the layout of our street, I often turn my car around
>>> using the neighbor's driveway.

>> Trespassing.
>>

>>> The neighbor apparently isn't happy with this. Instead of politely
>>> expressing her desire I not use her driveway to turn my car around,
>>> he behaved in an extremely uncivil fashion.

>> You are trespassing.
>>

>>> Which raises the following question: does a homeowner have a right
>>> not to allow you to pull into their driveway with the purpose of
>>> turning around?

>> Just how pig-ignorant are you?

> Apparently no more ignorant than you. You can't say for sure whether
> this is trespassing or not because in many jurisdictions, the property
> lines only extend to the public-right-of-way (i.e. the sidewalk). The
> two or three feet between the sidewalk and the street is public
> property, just as the street itself is public property. And if this
> guy isn't crossing over the sidewalk, then his actions *aren't*
> trespassing.

And you know this for certain?

Many jurisdictions mark the property lines to the centerline
of the street, with owners financially responsible for the maintenance
and repair of the sidewalks and driveway cuts.

> Without knowing for sure the laws and particulars in effect where he
> lives, your bald-faced declaration that his actions are trespassing
> are nothing but your own ill-informed opinion.

This from the SS man who repeatedly aids and abets the willful violation of
Texas
underage drinking laws.

Old May 1st 07, 06:05 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Gordon Burditt[_4_]

>>> Trespassing.

>>> You are trespassing.

>>> Just how pig-ignorant are you?

>> Apparently no more ignorant than you. You can't say for sure whether
>> this is trespassing or not because in many jurisdictions, the property
>> lines only extend to the public-right-of-way (i.e. the sidewalk). The
>> two or three feet between the sidewalk and the street is public
>> property, just as the street itself is public property. And if this
>> guy isn't crossing over the sidewalk, then his actions *aren't*
>> trespassing.

>And you know this for certain?
>
>Many jurisdictions mark the property lines to the centerline
>of the street, with owners financially responsible for the maintenance
>and repair of the sidewalks and driveway cuts.

And does this give the owner right to exclude other people from using
their side of the street? I doubt it.

Old May 1st 07, 06:11 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey

I thought we established they were just doing that to **** you off :-)
Old May 1st 07, 07:42 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
¥ UltraMan ¥

Gordon Burditt wrote:

>>> Apparently no more ignorant than you. You can't say for sure whether
>>> this is trespassing or not because in many jurisdictions, the
>>> property lines only extend to the public-right-of-way (i.e. the
>>> sidewalk). The two or three feet between the sidewalk and the
>>> street is public property, just as the street itself is public
>>> property. And if this guy isn't crossing over the sidewalk, then
>>> his actions *aren't* trespassing.

>> And you know this for certain?
>>
>> Many jurisdictions mark the property lines to the centerline
>> of the street, with owners financially responsible for the
>> maintenance and repair of the sidewalks and driveway cuts.

> And does this give the owner right to exclude other people from using
> their side of the street? I doubt it.

Does it give the public the right to park in front of, or in, the driveway
cut? I doubt it.

Old May 1st 07, 08:31 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Gordon Burditt[_5_]

>>> And you know this for certain?
>>>
>>> Many jurisdictions mark the property lines to the centerline
>>> of the street, with owners financially responsible for the
>>> maintenance and repair of the sidewalks and driveway cuts.

>> And does this give the owner right to exclude other people from using
>> their side of the street? I doubt it.

>Does it give the public the right to park in front of, or in, the driveway
>cut? I doubt it.

The owner probably doesn't have that right either. At least in
many areas, a homeowner can get a ticket for blocking his own
driveway, and his ownership is not a defense.

Whether or not you are financially responsible for maintenance and
repair of sidewalks has nothing to do with whether you are allowed
to prevent people walking on them.

Old May 1st 07, 11:23 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
BTR1701

In article >,
"¥ UltraMan ¥" > wrote:

> BTR1701 wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Trespassing.

> >> You are trespassing.

> >> Just how pig-ignorant are you?

> > Apparently no more ignorant than you. You can't say for sure whether
> > this is trespassing or not because in many jurisdictions, the property
> > lines only extend to the public-right-of-way (i.e. the sidewalk). The
> > two or three feet between the sidewalk and the street is public
> > property, just as the street itself is public property. And if this
> > guy isn't crossing over the sidewalk, then his actions *aren't*
> > trespassing.

> And you know this for certain?

That's the point. Without knowing the actual laws in effect where he
lives, NO ONE can say for certain what the legal status is in this case.

Well, no one but you, apparently. You know everything about everything.
You're pig-psychic or something.

> Many jurisdictions mark the property lines to the centerline
> of the street,

And many jurisdictions do things differently. How do you know which kind
we're dealing with here?

> > Without knowing for sure the laws and particulars in effect where he
> > lives, your bald-faced declaration that his actions are trespassing
> > are nothing but your own ill-informed opinion.

> This from the SS man who repeatedly aids and abets
> the willful violation of Texas underage drinking laws.

Ah, yes. Your typical refrain when you're backed into a corner and know
you have no response of substance to offer. Of course that doesn't
change the fact that without knowing for sure the laws and particulars
in effect where this guy lives, your bald-faced declaration that his
actions are trespassing are nothing but your own ill-informed opinion.
Old May 1st 07, 11:41 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Donna

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> If nothing else, it's certainly not neighborly to disregard your
> neighbor's wishes about trespassing on their land.

Absolutely.

Jesus Christ. How hard is it for the OP to turn around someplace else????
Whether you can split hairs about whether the OP is legally allowed to be on
what might or might not be an easement, why is the OP determined to be an
asshole?

OP: Turn your damn car around someplace else. Stop being a dick. How hard
was that to figure out?

Donna

Old May 1st 07, 12:25 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Old Wolf

On May 1, 9:21 am, "¥ UltraMan ¥" > wrote:
> > In my case, I'm using very little of her driveway to do so. (Meaning
> > the front of my car never gets past the sidewalk in front of the
> > property.)

> What part of Trespassing don't you comprehend?

In my area , the sidewalk (and the vehicle crossings over it), as well
as the grass verge, are owned by the city council, i.e. are public
land.