Trespassing in neighbor's driveway

Old May 1st 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Default Trespassing in neighbor's driveway

Larry Bud > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Apr 30, 7:18 pm, " > wrote:
>> > Which raises the following question: does a homeowner have a right
>> > not to

>> allow you to pull into their driveway with the purpose of turning
>> around?
>>
>> It's interesting how people seem to think they are somehow entitled
>> to other people's property. I recently had some issues with
>> neighbors thinking they could park in my driveway at will to make
>> access to their cars more convient, even if this made access to our
>> cars on our land next to impossible. The problem has since been
>> handled, but the responses I got during the episode were amazing.

> I hardly think taking 10 seconds to turn around in someone's driveway
> is equivalent to parking your car there.
>
> While it technically might be "trespassing", people (his neighbor)
> needs to relax.
>
>> Also, if you continue to agitate your neighbor by entering their
>> property after notice not to do so, they're likely to return the
>> love. What will you do when you run over the nails they just
>> happened to drop in the driveway? It's their land, they have no
>> requirement to keep their driveway up to your standards.

> Setting booby traps may be illegal, and probably is, in his state.

and what if some kid steps on or falls on one of your nails?

LIABILITY,big time.

(or if you or a family member forgets and drives over them! awcrap...!)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 1st 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"TNKev" > wrote in
reenews.net:

> wrote:
>> On May 1, 9:39 am, (Brent P) wrote:
>>> In article
>>> ews.net>, TNKev
>>>
>>> I'm sure if you think long enough you can come with a hazard to his
>>> tires
>>> that seems like it was just dumb luck....

>> Or build a flower box. Build with PT 4x4's. Predrill, then lash with
>> 8" spikes and 20lb sledge. Placed on the corner (or edge, in my case)
>> of the property, it's adds a nice touch while firmly enforcing the
>> property line. Filled with soil, mine is solid enough to total a
>> passenger car if push comes to shove. Given my location that day
>> should never come, but the box is solid enough.
>>
>> Since flowers are such a nice addition to the neighborhood, it conveys
>> a marvelously diplomatic "you'll no longer be putting your vehicle
>> here". It leaves the normally confrontational and ignorant neighbors
>> at a loss for a reply. (That, or it was the 20lb sledge in my
>> hand).

> The wife and I have thought of a rose garden made of RR cross ties
> running the length of the front yard.

Some people put up edging or low fencing around the front yard.
(if the HOA doesn't prohibit it.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 1st 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
BTR1701

In article . com>,
Larry Bud > wrote:

> On Apr 30, 7:18 pm, " > wrote:
> > > Which raises the following question: does a homeowner have a right not to

> > allow you to pull into their driveway with the purpose of turning
> > around?
> >
> > It's interesting how people seem to think they are somehow entitled to
> > other people's property. I recently had some issues with neighbors
> > thinking they could park in my driveway at will to make access to
> > their cars more convient, even if this made access to our cars on our
> > land next to impossible. The problem has since been handled, but the

> I hardly think taking 10 seconds to turn around in someone's driveway
> is equivalent to parking your car there.
>
> While it technically might be "trespassing", people (his neighbor)
> needs to relax.
>
> > Also, if you continue to agitate your neighbor by entering their
> > property after notice not to do so, they're likely to return the
> > love. What will you do when you run over the nails they just happened
> > to drop in the driveway? It's their land, they have no requirement to
> > keep their driveway up to your standards.

> Setting booby traps may be illegal, and probably is, in his state.

Only in the sense that the booby trap could hurt someone. Setting a
booby trap that merely annoys or inconveniences a trespasser isn't a
crime.
Old May 1st 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Kent Wills

As I understand it, on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:28:28 -0700, "Fred G.
Mackey" > wrote:

wrote:

>> If nothing else, it's certainly not neighborly to disregard your
>> neighbor's wishes about trespassing on their land.

>I'm not sure if this can be defined as trespassing - perhaps it can be -
>the private property arguments are convincing, but nonetheless, if the
>guy is mereley using a few feet of driveway to turn around, it's not
>very neighborly of his neighbor to get their panties in such a twist
>over it.

It's pretty rude, IMO. There isn't much that can done about
that.

>I've used neighbors drivers before, and they've used ours - NOT to park
>in, but to ease turning around or pulling out when there are multiple
>vehicles blocking one that needed to get out.

I've had people drive all the way down to our house, turn
around and leave. Usually with a bit of a confused look on their
faces.

>Unless the neighbor wants to put up a gate (which is probably prohibited
>by the HOA), there's no way to stop a stray vehicle from doing exactly
>the same thing.
>
>Some people just need to relax a little and deal with the
>inconsequential things that happen in life.

It's not something worth getting upset over. At the same
time, the OP can use a different driveway. Maybe the owner(s) of the
house next to it won't care.

--
Kent
Take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never
Old May 2nd 07, 02:02 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

On May 1, 9:12 am, Scott en Aztlán > wrote:
> Larry Bud > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >> It's interesting how people seem to think they are somehow entitled to
> >> other people's property.

> >I hardly think taking 10 seconds to turn around in someone's driveway
> >is equivalent to parking your car there.

> Once again, limited temporal duration somehow makes it OK.
>
> IBJAM thinking at its finest.

If you think pulling your front wheels on someone's driveway is
equivalent to parking your car there without their permission, you've
lost your mind.

Is it OK? Well, if for some reason I had to do this turnaround, and
someone asked me to stop, I'd certainly respect their request. And I
would also think that they're a ****ing asshole **** too that has
nothing better to do and looks for things to bitch and moan about.

> >While it technically might be "trespassing", people (his neighbor)
> >needs to relax.

> May 1000 of your neighbors find your driveway to be the most
> convenient place in which to turn their vehicles around.

Just ridiculous Scott. To equate the two is absurd. I'll tell you
what, you'll die when you're 50 if you let such trivial things bother
you so much.

Old May 2nd 07, 02:05 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

> > > allow you to pull into their driveway with the purpose of turning
> > > around?

> > > It's interesting how people seem to think they are somehow entitled to
> > > other people's property. I recently had some issues with neighbors
> > > thinking they could park in my driveway at will to make access to
> > > their cars more convient, even if this made access to our cars on our
> > > land next to impossible. The problem has since been handled, but the

> > I hardly think taking 10 seconds to turn around in someone's driveway
> > is equivalent to parking your car there.

> > While it technically might be "trespassing", people (his neighbor)
> > needs to relax.

> > > Also, if you continue to agitate your neighbor by entering their
> > > property after notice not to do so, they're likely to return the
> > > love. What will you do when you run over the nails they just happened
> > > to drop in the driveway? It's their land, they have no requirement to
> > > keep their driveway up to your standards.

> > Setting booby traps may be illegal, and probably is, in his state.

> Only in the sense that the booby trap could hurt someone. Setting a
> booby trap that merely annoys or inconveniences a trespasser isn't a
> crime.

Possibly. However do you want to be "inconvenienced" when the guy
sues your ass? A lot of "right" people spend a lot of money showing
how "right" they are.

Old May 2nd 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

> > I hardly think taking 10 seconds to turn around in someone's driveway
> > is equivalent to parking your car there.

> I agree. They only become similar when someone decides that they have
> a "right" to someone else's property, and refuses to comply with
> requests not to use said property in a certain fashion.

Fair enough.

> Even on the off chance the neighbor is a nut, it's best not to
> instigate them by insisting on using their property in a way they've
> made clear is not acceptable to them. Use a different driveway if you
> must, or just learn to handle your vehicle (even if it means putting
> down the coffee, cell phone and cigarette for a minute). There's
> something to be said for choosing your battles, and not making a
> mountain of a molehill.

Sure, but that goes for his neighbor as well.

Old May 2nd 07, 02:27 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
steve

"BTR1701" > wrote in message

> Only in the sense that the booby trap could hurt someone. Setting a
> booby trap that merely annoys or inconveniences a trespasser isn't a
> crime.

Once upon a time there was the ****ant neighbor kid who thought he was GI
Joe and would do hurdles or dive and rolls over the short hedges in our
front yard onto the lawn. On more than on occasion my parents and I asked
him to knock it off. He of course ignored us, as did his parents when my
dad spoke to them about it.

One day he did it again and found out that the lawn on the other side had a
freshly applied layer of steer manure top dressing. He was ****ed as was
his mother who thought we should launder or replace his clothes and shoes.
She came over and yelled at me about it. I pointed out that we did it
every year and had asked him to stop in the past. He did after that, and
the lawn looked great that year.

Old May 2nd 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
BTR1701

In article .com>,
Larry Bud > wrote:

> > > I hardly think taking 10 seconds to turn around in someone's driveway
> > > is equivalent to parking your car there.

> > > While it technically might be "trespassing", people (his neighbor)
> > > needs to relax.

> > > Setting booby traps may be illegal, and probably is, in his state.

> > Only in the sense that the booby trap could hurt someone. Setting a
> > booby trap that merely annoys or inconveniences a trespasser isn't a
> > crime.

> Possibly. However do you want to be "inconvenienced" when the guy
> sues your ass? A lot of "right" people spend a lot of money showing
> how "right" they are.

If I molded my life around what might or might not get me sued, I'd
never leave my home.

Besides, despite common perception, a lawsuit has to state a valid cause
of action in order to proceed. One need not spend a lot of money getting
one dismissed at summary judgment for failure to meet that burden.
Old May 2nd 07, 03:10 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving

In article .com>,
says...
> On May 1, 9:39 am, (Brent P) wrote:
> > In article ews.net>, TNKev wrote:
> > > it has been 5 years, but I don't care to battle with them so every year
> > > I put a little dirt in to fill the path and spread on some straw and stake
> > > it out
> > > so he doesn't run over it and as soon as the grass grows and the stakes are
> > > gone he goes right back to running it over. I figure he is the one being an
> > > asshole, I don't care to be an asshole. I will be the nice guy with the
> > > nice lawn!

> > I'm sure if you think long enough you can come with a hazard to his tires
> > that seems like it was just dumb luck....

> Or build a flower box. Build with PT 4x4's. Predrill, then lash with
> 8" spikes and 20lb sledge. Placed on the corner (or edge, in my case)
> of the property, it's adds a nice touch while firmly enforcing the
> property line. Filled with soil, mine is solid enough to total a
> passenger car if push comes to shove. Given my location that day
> should never come, but the box is solid enough.

Just beware that "dumb luck" is not a reliable defense if it turns out
you weren't legally allowed to build an obstruction there. Check local
codes for required clear space near roadways and driveway cuts just in
case.

--
is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>