Trespassing in neighbor's driveway

Old May 2nd 07, 03:41 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
_ Prof. Jonez _

Default Trespassing in neighbor's driveway

TNKev wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>> In article
>> ews.net>, TNKev
>> wrote:
>>
>>> it has been 5 years, but I don't care to battle with them so every
>>> year
>>> I put a little dirt in to fill the path and spread on some straw and
>>> stake it out
>>> so he doesn't run over it and as soon as the grass grows and the
>>> stakes are gone he goes right back to running it over. I figure he
>>> is the one being an asshole, I don't care to be an asshole. I will
>>> be the nice guy with the nice lawn!

>> I'm sure if you think long enough you can come with a hazard to his
>> tires
>> that seems like it was just dumb luck....

> I believe what comes around goes around ten fold.

Really? Any actual examples to back it up, say Iraq for instance?

Old May 2nd 07, 05:34 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
¥ UltraMan ¥

Bull****.

Old May 2nd 07, 01:38 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving

On May 1, 9:02 pm, Larry Bud > wrote:
> Is it OK? Well, if for some reason I had to do this turnaround, and
> someone asked me to stop, I'd certainly respect their request. And I
> would also think that they're a ****ing asshole **** too that has
> nothing better to do and looks for things to bitch and moan about.

You can think what you'd like, as long as you respect their request
regarding their property.
Maybe they think your car is a POS and that a smaller version of that
oil puddle under your normal spot would not look good on the brick
drive they just paid a few grand to get laid.
Maybe they think you're a "f*****g a*****e c**t for the way you
recklessly tear about the neighborhood, and don't want you hitting one
of their pets or children.
Maybe, since you clearly can't handle your vehicle and need their
drive to turn around, you've come off the edge of their drive and
disrupted their lawn or garden bordering the driveway.
Maybe they find the window rattling music you bump annoying, and don't
want it any closer than it needs to be (i.e. their driveway).
Maybe they just don't like you because in the past you've shown you
think you're entitled to things that are not yours, and they don't
want you developing the idea you're entitled to their driveway.

> > >While it technically might be "trespassing", people (his neighbor)
> > >needs to relax.

> > May 1000 of your neighbors find your driveway to be the most
> > convenient place in which to turn their vehicles around.

> Just ridiculous Scott. To equate the two is absurd. I'll tell you
> what, you'll die when you're 50 if you let such trivial things bother
> you so much.

Scott handled the absurd comment, but I'd like to point out that I
know quite a few people well over 50 who are bothered by less. I
think such anal retentiveness may actually increase chances of living
long enough to become a salty old bugger.

Old May 2nd 07, 01:50 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving

On May 1, 10:10 pm, > wrote:
> > Or build a flower box. Build with PT 4x4's. Predrill, then lash with
> > 8" spikes and 20lb sledge. Placed on the corner (or edge, in my case)
> > of the property, it's adds a nice touch while firmly enforcing the
> > property line. Filled with soil, mine is solid enough to total a
> > passenger car if push comes to shove. Given my location that day
> > should never come, but the box is solid enough.

> Just beware that "dumb luck" is not a reliable defense if it turns out
> you weren't legally allowed to build an obstruction there. Check local
> codes for required clear space near roadways and driveway cuts just in
> case.

Good point, though this will matter more in a designed community with
a HOA & the associated brats keeping tabs on lawn height. In my area
you can restore a pickup truck and a tractor side by side in your
lawn, but it is rare to find a place you can't build a flowerbox or
bed within the limits of your own property. The wording usually keeps
your structure from protruding past your property line into the
roadway or neighbors driveway. Be warned in your planning, this
includes the plants or flowers.
The nice side to this is that anyone who wants to tell you to move it
needs to prove that it's impeding onto their property. This can only
be done with a full survey, costing $4-8K in my area.
My box is built a fair safety margin onto my side of the property
line, and built with the blessing of the BI & LEO - both of whom were
included in the ordeal. If you don't have a homeowners association, a
quick visit to the BI can be a good idea. He'll almost certainly tell
you no permit is required and give you a couple pointers and leads to
keep your project problem free, and it's nice to have checked and
established that relationship. Much like the police when you're
pulled over, the BI is something of a god in matters of your home.
Knowing him and having paid the proper respect beforehand is nice in
both instances.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

> >If you think pulling your front wheels on someone's driveway is
> >equivalent to parking your car there without their permission, you've
> >lost your mind.

> If you think pulling your front wheels onto someone else's property is
> not tresspassing, you've lost yours.

Never said it might not be trespassing. But to get your undies in a
bunch borders on insanity.

> >Is it OK? Well, if for some reason I had to do this turnaround, and
> >someone asked me to stop, I'd certainly respect their request.

> I would never do it in the first place. I have my own driveway if I
> need to turn around.

Really? So you've never turned around in someone's driveway, after
making a wrong turn, or passing up their house in their neighborhood?
What do you do, drive around the block? Please.

> >And I
> >would also think that they're a ****ing asshole **** too that has
> >nothing better to do and looks for things to bitch and moan about.

> What about the ****ing asshole **** that uses things that don't belong
> to him without the owner's permission? Presumptuous and downright
> rude.

Nah, you're only a ****ing asshole **** when you do things that are
unreasonable.

> >> May 1000 of your neighbors find your driveway to be the most
> >> convenient place in which to turn their vehicles around.

> >Just ridiculous Scott. To equate the two is absurd.

> Huh? If doing it once is A-OK, then what's wrong with doing it 1000
> times? Or 1000 different people doing it?

Because I live in the land of reality, and your example isn't
realistic. Just like when your neighbor asks to borrow a
screwdriver, it doesn't mean that it's realistic that 1000 of your
neighbors or strangers will ask. Of course, you'd probably call the
cops before they ever got to your front door.

You're quite the neighbor.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:11 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

On May 2, 8:38 am, " > wrote:
> On May 1, 9:02 pm, Larry Bud > wrote:> Is it OK? Well, if for some reason I had to do this turnaround, and
> > someone asked me to stop, I'd certainly respect their request. And I
> > would also think that they're a ****ing asshole **** too that has
> > nothing better to do and looks for things to bitch and moan about.

> You can think what you'd like, as long as you respect their request
> regarding their property.

Like I said, I would respect their property. And I'd walk away hoping
I'd never turn into such an anal retentive asshole.

I'm sure you guys bitch and moan when the neighborhood kid's ball
lands in your yard too. Maybe you and Scott could live next to each
other. We could watch you together on the People Court, complaining
how one person's tree limb creeped over your fence by two feet and
that you want Scott to rake up HIS leaves.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:12 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

On May 1, 9:42 pm, BTR1701 > wrote:

> > > Only in the sense that the booby trap could hurt someone. Setting a
> > > booby trap that merely annoys or inconveniences a trespasser isn't a
> > > crime.

> > Possibly. However do you want to be "inconvenienced" when the guy
> > sues your ass? A lot of "right" people spend a lot of money showing
> > how "right" they are.

> If I molded my life around what might or might not get me sued, I'd
> never leave my home.

> Besides, despite common perception, a lawsuit has to state a valid cause
> of action in order to proceed.

Please. The judges in this country hardly EVER throw a case out of
court.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:29 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving

On May 2, 10:11 am, Larry Bud > wrote:
> Like I said, I would respect their property. And I'd walk away hoping
> I'd never turn into such an anal retentive asshole.
>
> I'm sure you guys bitch and moan when the neighborhood kid's ball
> lands in your yard too. Maybe you and Scott could live next to each
> other. We could watch you together on the People Court, complaining
> how one person's tree limb creeped over your fence by two feet and
> that you want Scott to rake up HIS leaves.

I said in this thread I don't mind when people turn around in my
driveway. I actually let the neighborhood kids play in my driveway
and what little yard I have, as grass is at a serious premium in my
area. Of course, this comes with needing to buy plenty of plastic
cups and the occasional couple jugs of chocolate milk, but we don't
mind.

I'm also the neighborhood mechanic. There are at least 7 kids I could
identify by name on sight on my 30 house dead-end street who come
banging on my door whenever anything goes wrong with a bike, from a
flat tire to a wheel flattened by a car. Toss their friends into the
mix, I'm the local mechanic for at least a dozen bikes, and my hose is
the summertime cooldown spot. I never turn them away, though I go
through patch kits like candy these days. There is not a kids bike on
my street I have not wrenched. New bike? Take it to Dan, he'll
adjust the seat and inflate the tires. Old bike? Take it to Dan,
he'll lube it up and fix that flat. It's to the point where I can
identify a few of them (Dillon especially) just from the knocking.

The ONLY time I have had any issues with any of my neighbors was when
they were parking in my driveway, restricting my access to my
vehicles. I tried talking to them and being diplomatic many times,
but they continued to feel they had some sort of right to my land. I
even asked LEO to talk to them instead of just towing the vehicles
when it became clear they wouldn't listen to me. LEO gave me the
choice of build a divider (i.e. flowerbox), a fence or have them towed
out. I went with the flowerbox. Considering everything leading up to
that, I think I took the more neighborly option.

The neighborhood kids balls don't land in my yard, that's where they
go to play to begin with. The leaves that fall in my yard get raked
and brought to the dump, and the branches that fall in my yard are
firewood. I don't have a single tree on my property, and yet I never
complain. It's all part of homeownership, and I enjoy it.

You're making bull**** assumptions about people you don't know without
having the facts. I'd suggest working on that. With the exception of
one arrogant college kid renting a room next door, my neighbors think
I'm quite neighborly. It's been discussed over quite a few fires,
fire-cooked snacks and beverages.

Old May 2nd 07, 05:03 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
_ Prof. Jonez _

TNKev wrote:
> wrote:
>> On May 1, 9:39 am, (Brent P)
>> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> ews.net>, TNKev
>>>
>>> I'm sure if you think long enough you can come with a hazard to his
>>> tires
>>> that seems like it was just dumb luck....

>> Or build a flower box. Build with PT 4x4's. Predrill, then lash
>> with 8" spikes and 20lb sledge. Placed on the corner (or edge, in
>> my case) of the property, it's adds a nice touch while firmly
>> enforcing the property line. Filled with soil, mine is solid enough
>> to total a passenger car if push comes to shove. Given my location
>> that day should never come, but the box is solid enough.
>>
>> Since flowers are such a nice addition to the neighborhood, it
>> conveys a marvelously diplomatic "you'll no longer be putting your
>> vehicle here". It leaves the normally confrontational and ignorant
>> neighbors at a loss for a reply. (That, or it was the 20lb sledge
>> in my hand).

> The wife and I have thought of a rose garden made of RR cross ties
> running the length of the front yard.

Good idea, thorny bushes at the sidewalk so that children running past
can get cut, bleed or scratch their eyes when they stumble ...

Old May 2nd 07, 05:17 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,misc.legal,rec.autos.driving
_ Prof. Jonez _

wrote:
> On May 1, 10:10 pm, > wrote:
>>> Or build a flower box. Build with PT 4x4's. Predrill, then lash
>>> with 8" spikes and 20lb sledge. Placed on the corner (or edge, in
>>> my case) of the property, it's adds a nice touch while firmly
>>> enforcing the property line. Filled with soil, mine is solid
>>> enough to total a passenger car if push comes to shove. Given my
>>> location that day should never come, but the box is solid enough.

>> Just beware that "dumb luck" is not a reliable defense if it turns
>> out you weren't legally allowed to build an obstruction there.
>> Check local codes for required clear space near roadways and
>> driveway cuts just in case.

> Good point, though this will matter more in a designed community with
> a HOA & the associated brats keeping tabs on lawn height. In my area
> you can restore a pickup truck and a tractor side by side in your
> lawn, but it is rare to find a place you can't build a flowerbox or
> bed within the limits of your own property. The wording usually keeps
> your structure from protruding past your property line into the
> roadway or neighbors driveway.

The usual wording has mandatory setbacks for structures, plants
and bushes from sidewalks.

>Be warned in your planning, this
> includes the plants or flowers.

And in many locations the TYPE of plant. Poisonous,
Thorny or Child Eating plants are often prohibited.

> The nice side to this is that anyone who wants to tell you to move it
> needs to prove that it's impeding onto their property. This can only
> be done with a full survey, costing $4-8K in my area.

LOL! What area is that exactly?

There are 1000s of surveyors who currently charge between
$200 - $800 that would love to move to such an affluent area.

> My box is built a fair safety margin onto my side of the property
> line, and built with the blessing of the BI & LEO - both of whom were
> included in the ordeal. If you don't have a homeowners association, a
> quick visit to the BI can be a good idea. He'll almost certainly tell
> you no permit is required and give you a couple pointers and leads to
> keep your project problem free, and it's nice to have checked and
> established that relationship. Much like the police when you're
> pulled over, the BI is something of a god in matters of your home.
> Knowing him and having paid the proper respect beforehand is nice in
> both instances.

So did you swallow?