driveway spring swap?

Old February 21st 05, 10:23 PM
japhar81

Default driveway spring swap?

I just got a nice gift, a set of ford racing springs -- 1" lowering
apparently... Anyone know if this is a driveway weekend project? Ive never
done a spring swap on a mustang, is there a howto or anything out there?

Old February 22nd 05, 05:32 PM
Rein

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:23:46 -0500, "japhar81" >
wrote:

>I just got a nice gift, a set of ford racing springs -- 1" lowering
>apparently... Anyone know if this is a driveway weekend project? Ive never
>done a spring swap on a mustang, is there a howto or anything out there?

It's not that hard at all. I did it on a 95GT and had no problems.
MAke sure you have some sort of breaker bar to get the front calipers
loose. This was the only tool I didn't have (well I had it but the
extension broke off due to cheapness of it )
There are write-ups online. I think I used one on stangnet but could
not find it now (they renewed some stuff, am sure if you ask them they
can send it)
Also, once the psrings are settled (a week or so), go get an
alignment.

Old February 22nd 05, 05:37 PM
japhar81

Yeah, I read the online guides, theres something about the idea of using a
jack to relieve the springs that sounds less than safe. And spring
compressors are damned expensive:-/

Old February 23rd 05, 12:29 AM
Carl Saiyed

You can rent a spring compressor @ your local auto parts store.

HTH.

Carl

Old February 23rd 05, 01:29 AM
JS

While using the jack, tie a good piece of nylon cord to the spring and then
to a part of the car... and be clear of it's possible path of travel when
you let the jack down.

In all of my experiences, however, the spring's been in the lower control
arm so long, it didn't even spring loose. Getting it out was a pain in the
ass, in fact. I live in the rust belt though and most of my work's been on
cars with well over 10 years of slushing around in it.

JS

Old February 23rd 05, 02:26 PM
japhar81

rent it? wow, gotta look into that

Old February 23rd 05, 08:59 PM
Garth Almgren

On 2/23/2005 6:26 AM, japhar81 wrote:

> "Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message
>
>>You can rent a spring compressor @ your local auto parts store.
>>

> rent it? wow, gotta look into that

If you find the right place, they might loan it to you for just a small,
refundable deposit.

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old February 23rd 05, 09:25 PM
Wound Up

Garth Almgren wrote:
> On 2/23/2005 6:26 AM, japhar81 wrote:
>
>> "Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message
>>
>>> You can rent a spring compressor @ your local auto parts store.
>>>

>> rent it? wow, gotta look into that

> If you find the right place, they might loan it to you for just a small,
> refundable deposit.

Just *please* find the type with four hooks, two on the top, and two on
the bottom... and make sure the spring is compressing evenly, and don't
just zing it with an air gun all at once (if that's what you're using).
Likewise on the reverse. Slow and even and it'll be fine.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old February 24th 05, 03:34 AM
Rein

I used a jack, and it was quite alright. Just make sure you let it go
down gently. At no point did I think there was any risk of it popping
out. To make sure it does not happen you should tie it to somethign
with a rope.
IF you really want to use a spring compressor, some of the carparts
places loan them out for free ! (refundable deposit).

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:37:46 -0500, "japhar81" >
wrote:

>Yeah, I read the online guides, theres something about the idea of using a
>jack to relieve the springs that sounds less than safe. And spring
>compressors are damned expensive:-/

.. .

Old February 24th 05, 03:35 AM
Rein

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:29:32 GMT, "JS" > wrote:

>While using the jack, tie a good piece of nylon cord to the spring and then
>to a part of the car... and be clear of it's possible path of travel when
>you let the jack down.
>
>In all of my experiences, however, the spring's been in the lower control
>arm so long, it didn't even spring loose. Getting it out was a pain in the
>ass, in fact. I live in the rust belt though and most of my work's been on
>cars with well over 10 years of slushing around in it.
>
>JS
>
>"japhar81" > wrote in message
>> Yeah, I read the online guides, theres something about the idea of using a
>> jack to relieve the springs that sounds less than safe. And spring
>> compressors are damned expensive:-/
>>
>> "Rein" > wrote in message

>>> It's not that hard at all. I did it on a 95GT and had no problems.
>>> MAke sure you have some sort of breaker bar to get the front calipers
>>> loose. This was the only tool I didn't have (well I had it but the
>>> extension broke off due to cheapness of it )
>>> There are write-ups online. I think I used one on stangnet but could
>>> not find it now (they renewed some stuff, am sure if you ask them they
>>> can send it)
>>> Also, once the psrings are settled (a week or so), go get an
>>> alignment.
>>>
>>> Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Same experience here, except it was in Arizona. You'll have to pry a
little bit to get the old one out, the new one (shorter) wll fit right
in !